No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

911 is the best number to call for situations like that. The com center will handle contacting the game warden, and deputies will be en route in the meantime.

Comment

Saw two pigs across from the primitive boat launch this afternoon. One was a small blonde that jumped out of some brush. She took off like a bat out of hell. You would of thought I was trying to kill her or something. About an hour later I kicked up a jet black sow in the 150 range. I was running with her for awhile. She popped out of the thick stuff and crossed the trail right in front of me at 30 yards. Then she stopped. Perfect! I start drawing back and realize my knock has come off the string. As I reknocked the arrow she ran off. Chilling by a fire now drinking some whiskey. Gonna try to hit it again in the morning.

Comment

Sounds sweet Neano. Brandonferrier; as you can guess by my handle I am a wood bow fellow. Two current favorites are MOAB 63#@27.5' and Big River 21st Century clone 66#@27.5". MOAB pushed the arrow out the other side on a ham hit at 8.5 yards on the running 130# sow at GRXH last year. Shooting 650-700 grain arrows. Nothing wrong with penetration. Avitar says it all.

Comment

MY brother and i got behind the dam about six and waited for some light ,spent 2 hours there.no piggies seen.then we went to the primitive boat launch and headed east. we saw a lot of pig tracks and ground tore up.we saw alot of deer but no pigs........next time

Comment

Originally posted by josef View Post
            MY brother and i got behind the dam about six and waited for some light ,spent 2 hours there.no piggies seen.then we went to the primitive boat launch and headed east. we saw a lot of pig tracks and ground tore up.we saw alot of deer but no pigs........next time
            I talked with you today at the boat launch.

Comment

Miles on the ground equal pigs in the pot.
              I'll need to get my Big River longbow up there, my MOAB took these two hogs last year at GRXH. Thanks again Crod888 for sharing your honey hole.
              Last edited by Wudstix; 12-14-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
                Saw two pigs across from the primitive boat launch this afternoon. One was a small blonde that jumped out of some brush. She took off like a bat out of hell. You would of thought I was trying to kill her or something. About an hour later I kicked up a jet black sow in the 150 range. I was running with her for awhile. She popped out of the thick stuff and crossed the trail right in front of me at 30 yards. Then she stopped. Perfect! I start drawing back and realize my knock has come off the string. As I reknocked the arrow she ran off. Chilling by a fire now drinking some whiskey. Gonna try to hit it again in the morning.
                Good whiskey and a warm fire is hard to beat!

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                  I talked with you today at the boat launch.
                  it was nice to meet you today.we're not giving up.Gona fish saturday night and and settle in a spot about 5 am and play the waiting game.

Comment

Setting up on a briar patch got the first pig in my avitar(130#), @8 yard shot at sprinting pig, then the second came along as we field dressed the first. Chased it @125 yards into a briar patch. (100#) @4 yard shot. If there are alot of hunters pushing the pigs waiting is not a bad idea. Two pigs in less than an hour is going to be hard to repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by josef View Post
                      it was nice to meet you today.
                      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                        Miles on the ground equal pigs in the pot.
                        I'll need to get my Big River longbow up there, my MOAB took these two hogs last year at GRXH. Thanks again Crod888 for sharing your honey hole.
                        Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                        Setting up on a briar patch got the first pig in my avitar(130#), @8 yard shot at sprinting pig, then the second came along as we field dressed the first. Chased it @125 yards into a briar patch. (100#) @4 yard shot. If there are alot of hunters pushing the pigs waiting is not a bad idea. Two pigs in less than an hour is going to be hard to repeat.
                        Congrats Wudstix that will be tough to beat but we're game!

Josef, like wudstix said, if you want some pork you gotta find them. We hike about 7 miles at least each time we go out and have brought home meat every time.
                        Last edited by TXAggie06; 12-14-2014, 09:02 PM.

Comment

when the pigs run do they usually only go 50-100 yards or less then stop, or do they book it outta there hardcore?

Comment

also, real quick question:
                            What time of day do you see the most pigs?
                            (My guess is morning)

Comment

We see them the most in the morning around 7 to 8 just after sunrise but if you are moving alot you will see them well into the afternoon. Can't tell you about night time cuz we only go out mornings. They typically will scatter out maybe 100 yards and circle back around to where they were.

Comment

Intro and Thanks

Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to say thanks for the great education you guys have given me while following this thread. Went out for my first Granger hog hunt on Sunday. Ran into Neano (good to meet you!) just past the primitive campsite. Wandered around that area for a good 8 miles in total. Lots of pig signs, but didn't chase up any live ones. Sounded like a military invasion near the border with private land, the shooting was on private land but close, so I headed out of there before I caught a stray bullet.

Went over to 6 around noon. Saw great signs and then got on 4 different hogs. That was a blast, and I'm hooked. Didn't get a shot off, but was THIS close. Chased up a great looking 8 pointer and a few doe as well. I know you can't shoot 'em, but fun to see. Looking forward to participating in the thread and possibly meeting up with some of you guys to learn from the pros.

Comment

Working...
                                X