No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One year I shot 4 before I found one, then in 2009 I shot and recovered 6...one is the 250 pound sow in my avatar...last year I shot six and recovered 2.....they are hard to shoot and recover with archery.....

Comment

Originally posted by Village View Post
      Haha what were they, pig tourists?
      My first thoughts were: Oh darn! Anti hunting/tree hugging vagetarians. Maybe they were pig tourists afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
        One year I shot 4 before I found one, then in 2009 I shot and recovered 6...one is the 250 pound sow in my avatar...last year I shot six and recovered 2.....they are hard to shoot and recover with archery.....

Makes me feel a little better! I spent at least two hours trying to find the trail again. Would have been my first kill with a bow.

Comment

Because 99 percent of the time while walk and stalking on granger its a rushed shot because they are running or getting ready too or swimming....not like at the deer lease under the feeder eating corn..its an adrenaline rush....pigs get my blood pumping like a pope and young buck....

Comment

Because 99 percent of the time while walk and stalking on granger its a rushed shot because they are running or getting ready too or swimming....not like at the deer lease under the feeder eating corn..its an adrenaline rush....pigs get my blood pumping like a pope and young buck....
            Couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

Danimal did not mention the HUGE legal buck we saw while on our stroll through the woods near gate 7. Biggest I have seen in 6 years. If anyone got drawn, and has not filled your tag, he was last seen at 30.65468 -97.41057

I am glad I did not take the shot on the tiny 'football sized' piglets, but in hindsight, I should have rushed them and tried to tackle one, recover a fumble so to speak.

Comment

Sounds like u guys have just been maming my precious swine, im going to have to start putting my boat in and show yall how its done...im tired of seeing blood on here and the "never found "or lost the blood trail..posts...rookies...lol....
                Yep

Thats why I really dont get into the whole group hunting thing and pushing them. Seems like you can hardly ever get a decent shot on one with a bunch of people out there pushing them. Much easier for me with just one or two people and trying not to bust them out. Or I will set a stand up on a fence crossing or trail and ambush them that way. You get alot better shots and a higher chance of an actual kill shot. You can easily kill granger pigs off bait as well just might take a few days but once again you get a better shot at them.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                  Yep

Thats why I really dont get into the whole group hunting thing and pushing them. Seems like you can hardly ever get a decent shot on one with a bunch of people out there pushing them. Much easier for me with just one or two people and trying not to bust them out. Or I will set a stand up on a fence crossing or trail and ambush them that way. You get alot better shots and a higher chance of an actual kill shot. You can easily kill granger pigs off bait as well just might take a few days but once again you get a better shot at them.
                  I like to hunt'em with or without other people. Txnavycheif and I have a few spots where we always see pigs. Mostly so thick that if you're alone, they just run out the other side. A good tactic is to have guys on one side run them to you for the ambush.

Comment

[QUOTE. A good tactic is to have guys on one side run them to you for the ambush.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                      Yep

Setting up a stand doen't work. They normally bedded down on legal shooting hours, unless somebody scared them from their bed.

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                        Setting up a stand doen't work. They normally bedded down on legal shooting hours, unless somebody scared them from their bed.
                        You should probably do a little more hunting if you actually believe that. I have killed plenty of granger pigs from stands man as well as plenty of people I know and a few on here have as well. tree stands pop ups and even a couple brush blinds. over corn, fence crossings and trails so setting up stands works pretty well just have to know where to put them. I agree that you will see more pigs and get more shots pushing but usually they aren't high percentage shots. Usually running or facing you. I think that's why you see so many pigs hit but not recovered. Much easier to get a good shot on one if they are relaxed and don't even know your in the area. again imo
                        Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 12-01-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

5 out of 6 pig that I've shot since last year were spot and stalk to within 10 yards. They never knew that I was there. 4 pass throughs and one in the shoulder without penetration. No. 6 was a miss at 25 or so yards.
                          Obviously, I've got to get close 'cause I'm a bad shot.

Comment

Originally posted by PigAddiction View Post
                            5 out of 6 pig that I've shot since last year were spot and stalk to within 10 yards. They never knew that I was there. 4 pass throughs and one in the shoulder without penetration. No. 6 was a miss at 25 or so yards.
                            Obviously, I've got to get close 'cause I'm a bad shot.
                            I never said it doesnt work or you cant kill em that way just saying what works better for me and what I feel more comfortable with. I enjoy spot and stalking but would rather do it with one or two other people and try and sneak in instead of pushing them. Congrats on the pigs man and thats a **** good batting average there! Love the pet pig and we have raised 3 granger pigs over the years.

Comment

Nothing wrong with sitting in a stand. I just like walking and I'm not very patient when it comes to sitting in a stand. From all of the post about chasing pigs around and making running shots, maybe people are just walking/stalking to fast to begin with and are getting busted and a running shots the only option left.

Comment

Guys really to each his own, everyone has there own preference of hunting, I am 55 years old and you know what it is never to late to learn something new,i have tried both ways and I like them both. The fact of the matter is this, enjoy the outdoors, if you see wildlife it is a bonus, if you get a chance to harvest it is a double bonus and if you score it is the icing on the cake.
                                One word of advise don't knock someones way of hunting as that person is trying to tell you what works for them and you never know what twist you can put to it to make it work for you. My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                                X