No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should still be super shallow at sorefinger.

Comment

Well, the deer are plentiful on both sides of the river, but so far no hog sightings. I'll keep trying until I have to leave for basic, but I am still loving my time out there.
      Oh, if any of the deer hunters read these, on the far end of unit A there are two six points that hang out back there, one having a very large body. Both will stop and turn broadside if you whistle. (I've done it twice to the larger one now.)
      I saw the water moccasin while walking and missed the first few shots, but got him with two headshots before he made it into the brush. I've seen one other one close to the river and took his picture (biggest cottonmouth I've ever seen) and he got away before I got my arrow nocked. I normally don't kill snakes, but I make exceptions for water moc's.

Comment

Anyone went out this morning? Darn good weather for the hunting...

Comment

Conservation pool elevation at Granger is 504 feet above sea level, current lake level is 502.8, and rising. 1.2 feet below pool is not bad.

Comment

Went out yesterday morning below **** by the spillway. Walked all the way back to the pecan trees and sat for a little while it was raining. Didn't see anything. I would have thought they would have been under the pecans feeding in the cool and rainy weather. Guess not. I was gonna go check the reeds because there was no wind but by the time I got back to the truck around 8 it was raining really hard. I bet this evening would be great. Hope someone makes it out

Comment

I would like to hook up with someone heading out there. I have never hunted public lands but it sounds like fun.

Comment

I want to make sure that I am right about the boundries at Granger WMA below the dam. Check the google map with 30.700175,-97.311198 and this will point the end of the of the public land beyond the spillway.

Comment

Went out again this morning by the spillway over on the south side by the bloodweeds. It was very clam and I thought I would have heard them moving in them but nothing again. Saw one nice buck though. Anyone know where the hogs are hanging at?

Comment

They are there somewhere hiding from ya! LOL

Comment

I was out scouting yesterday below the dam. I saw fresh hog sign at the foot of the dam just north of where the overlook parking area. It looked like it was single hog that did the damage. The hog had walked along the base of the dam for a good ways, before finding something he liked and began rooting. I hadn't been out below the dam in about three years. I used to see hog signs all over the place, but very little now.

I was just scouting and didn't have a bow with me. I'm not sure if it's legal to hunt at the foot of the dam, so check into it before you do it.

Comment

Fixin to go out below the dam here in a few minutes.

Comment

How'd it go Gbeard?

Comment

Originally posted by Empyrean View Post
                            How'd it go Gbeard?
                            Just got back a few minutes ago from another hunt. I dont get it. You cant walk ten feet through the corn feilds without seeing tons of hog tracks and rooting. But I havent seen a pig yet (in the location behind the dam). I have no idea what time they are moving. Ive hunted basically all times between dusk and dawn out seeing a dang thing. I dont know what the problem is. I guess I am always in the wrong spot at the wrong time. I think I may start doing some baiting (I guess there is no corn left to be eaten in the feilds).

Comment

Yesterday early morning, I went to below the dam, southeast from the spillway. Plenty of pecans everywhere. No hog sighted yet. Saw 4 does running by. They must be somewhere else. Once sight a deer, hogs aren't there for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bluenavigator View Post
                                Yesterday early morning, I went to below the dam, southeast from the spillway. Plenty of pecans everywhere. No hog sighted yet. Saw 4 does running by. They must be somewhere else. Once sight a deer, hogs aren't there for sure.
                                Deer and hogs are both coming to my feeders. Usually within a few minutes of each other. Just because you saw deer does not mean the pigs aren't there.

Comment

Working...
                                X