"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
    Head On or quartering, no matter, that is such a great photo with the pig tied to the branch. Did you get a weight when you got it home?
    As for the branch I thought it would add a nice touch for a photo to show the grandkids (years from now they will look at that photo and say this is my papa), also was a better way to transport as we were back in there a ways. No weight however I am pretty good at field judging as this year I guessed the first doe at 55lbs and it was 48lbs and the second one I guessed 75 to 80 lbs and it was 71lbs and the buck I guessed 120lbs and it was 120lbs, I even field judged the spread within a quarter inch which was just dumb luck.
    The hog I shot between Christmas and New Years I estimated 130lbs to 140lbs and this one was a little smaller that I would say about 100lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by joey View Post
      Guys though im pretty sure that I saw a poacher and the place was baited real good. Just go to 7 and walk like your headed to the steps on the trail or there is some bait along the fence that divides the cattle from us. Thanks everyone and if anyone could help me with bow hunting that would be awesome being a newbie sucks.
      I saw a guy there on Saturday. Was he wearing a blue jacket? If so that was a shotgun. No orange and I thought it was a rifle too until I got closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Comehere deer View Post
        As for the branch I thought it would add a nice touch for a photo to show the grandkids (years from now they will look at that photo and say this is my papa), also was a better way to transport as we were back in there a ways. No weight however I am pretty good at field judging as this year I guessed the first doe at 55lbs and it was 48lbs and the second one I guessed 75 to 80 lbs and it was 71lbs and the buck I guessed 120lbs and it was 120lbs, I even field judged the spread within a quarter inch which was just dumb luck.
        The hog I shot between Christmas and New Years I estimated 130lbs to 140lbs and this one was a little smaller that I would say about 100lbs.
        I was told the weekend before last to use two branches, one on each shoulder. FYI it keeps it from swinging when you walk.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
          I was told the weekend before last to use two branches, one on each shoulder. FYI it keeps it from swinging when you walk.
          If you are alone you can drag it like a yolk that way too. I think it was wildman that told use this technique.

Comment

Yes weight and im gussing it the one spotted by another hunter that is on this thread was hunting out at 7. Said he saw her and about 15 piglets.
            That was me. We walked it Saturday. Just goes to show you that they can be there one day and be gone the next. Congrats again.

Comment

Guys though im pretty sure that I saw a poacher and the place was baited real good. Just go to 7 and walk like your headed to the steps on the trail or there is some bait along the fence that divides the cattle from us. Thanks everyone and if anyone could help me with bow hunting that would be awesome being a newbie sucks.
              If you're a newbie and got a hog at Granger, I'd say you already got it figured out. Maybe you should be giving the tips. That's awesome!

Comment

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                The silverback RickyS told you that. You learn a lot from your senior citizens.

Comment

I need bow tips. Yesterday I had to run the pig down with my pocket knife and yes thats possible when your 20 like I am. But tlast night I shot my bow and one arrow exploded braking upper part of my rest then this morning I shot one time arrow was way off and my peep sight came off.

Comment

Congratulations on the hogs Comehere Deer and Joey.

Joey, it sounds like you need to check your arrows before you shoot any more. If you are using carbon arrows and there is a weak spot in the arrow, it can explode on you when you release. That can put carbon splinters through your hand. So, feel your arrows for splinters all up and down, then gently bend the arrows and listen and feel for anything unusual. Don't put much force on the arrow when you bend it, but a little to check for weak spots. If you do have weak spots in an arrow, get rid of that arrow. This can be very dangerous and you really don't want this to happen to you out in the woods- especially if you're hunting alone.

Comment

Joey,

one more thing. I would recommend you go to an Archery shop and have them look at your arrows and bow to fix the damage. It may seem a bit expensive at first, but well worth the work and advice you get there. And when I say archery shop, I mean one that has experienced and trained folks working there and not a "big box" sports shop that happens to sell archery equipment along with every other thing imaginable.

that's my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
                        Joey,

one more thing. I would recommend you go to an Archery shop and have them look at your arrows and bow to fix the damage. It may seem a bit expensive at first, but well worth the work and advice you get there. And when I say archery shop, I mean one that has experienced and trained folks working there and not a "big box" sports shop that happens to sell archery equipment along with every other thing imaginable.

that's my 2 cents.
                        x2000 on this man. The internet is full of some gruesome photo's. Not something to mess around with. You got lucky.

Comment

I need bow tips. Yesterday I had to run the pig down with my pocket knife and yes thats possible when your 20 like I am. But tlast night I shot my bow and one arrow exploded braking upper part of my rest then this morning I shot one time arrow was way off and my peep sight came off.
                          You killed a pig with that thing?! be careful man amd go get it checked out at an archery shop. Congrats on the pig

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                            x2000 on this man. The internet is full of some gruesome photo's. Not something to mess around with. You got lucky.
                            x2001!

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
                              Congratulations on the hogs Comehere Deer and Joey.

Joey, it sounds like you need to check your arrows before you shoot any more. If you are using carbon arrows and there is a weak spot in the arrow, it can explode on you when you release. That can put carbon splinters through your hand. So, feel your arrows for splinters all up and down, then gently bend the arrows and listen and feel for anything unusual. Don't put much force on the arrow when you bend it, but a little to check for weak spots. If you do have weak spots in an arrow, get rid of that arrow. This can be very dangerous and you really don't want this to happen to you out in the woods- especially if you're hunting alone.
                              Also, check to make sure you are shooting arrows with the correct spine (stiffness) for your draw length and weight. An underspined arrow could potentially break when fired. The arrow manufacturers have shaft selectors on their websites. Definitely get it checked out before shooting it again. You don't want to have to explain to the ER doc how you shot yourself with your own bow.

Comment

Ya im gonna go up to double g and get new string and if you haven't had an arrow brake and slap you your lucky because it hurts!

Comment

Working...
                                X