No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New year’s eve Granger report. No kill, but lots of fun.

Well with a rare OK from my wife, I made it out to Granger in the afternoon, though she only gave me three hours -one hour or which was driving time. I hadn’t been to Granger in almost three years and was thrilled despite the short time allotted. I packed my gear, loaded my canoe and was on my way within 20 minutes. I think I saw Sneaky (based on last week’s hog success photos) at the small boat launch area getting ready to head out. He gave an over the shoulder wave, but looked intent on heading out, as was I, so with a wave back, I continued to the parking area and dropped in with my canoe.

I paddled for a while until I saw some good hog trails leading to the water and decided to hoof it from there. A short walk into the woods and I saw a big bodied deer through the trees, but I am only out for hogs, so I paid little attention. My strategy was to circle around upwind (yes upwind), then complete the circle and stalk slowly downwind for stirring hogs. This is my version of a one-man drive. Along my upwind route, as I was creeping steadily through thick brush, I stirred up three deer that must have been bedded down in the thick brush. I continued not more than 50 yards more and the brush exploded like a combination of a quail covey blasting up and a stampede of buffalo. No mistake, these were hogs. I froze and listened. Things got quiet, but I heard some grunting and squealing and knew they were settling back down. Just then, I got a call from my wife, which I am currently duty bound to answer. I’m working on revising this family “rule”, but it’s just the way it is right now if I want to make it back out in the woods anytime soon. I address the “crisis” in hushed whispers, and hang up the phone. Then, as quietly as possible, I crept downwind through the crunchy leaves and brush headed to a creek bottom where the hogs were last. Every now and then, I would stir the leaves lightly with my hands to sound like a bird rustling for bugs, as I struggled through holding yoga-like poses to worm quietly through the brush on all fours. The stirring of leaves is my attempt to mask crunchy footsteps. But by the time I get to the creek, the hogs had silently made their exit.

So, I continued my upwind flush/search and about 300 yards later caught up with a sow and about 3 or 4 -30 pound youngsters. Not the entirety of the stampede I had heard earlier, but a break off ground no doubt. Aware of my pursuit of them, they doubled back and headed back to the creek. As quietly as possible, I walk/ran parallel to them to try to cut them off. The saying “the hogs got their nikes on” really made sense to me at this point. When I got near the creek, the small sounder had joined back with the larger group, and they were all milling about. Interestingly, they were milling about in an area that I just walked through not more than 20 minutes earlier and didn’t seem overly concerned about my scent. I guess they’re used to it. With time running out, I crept in for a shot and managed to get a 75 pounder within 25 yards and pulled to full draw. My target hog was in some light brush and I considered how much deflection the brush might cause. The brush was not more than 3 feet in front of the hog, reducing the amount of deflection possible prior to impact, but erring on the side of caution, and not having time for a long track, I let down seconds before the hogs melted away into the brush.

I tried one more time to head downwind, then upwind up the creek, but the hogs were on to me once again and I could not make up the distance. Out of time, I headed back to my canoe, pushing the hogs some as I went. Along the way, I saw a big boded buck with a small rack- perhaps the same one I saw on my way in earlier that afternoon. I didn’t glass him with my binocs, but I think he was probably a six point with a nicely shaped, but small rack. I also saw a pop up blind back there- not sure if it was occupied, but I backed out the way I came and circled widely around to minimize my disturbance. If it was occupied, I hope I pushed the hogs toward you, and hope I didn’t push any deer away from you. I got back to my canoe, paddled to the boat launch and headed home satisfied with another great outing in the woods. A much needed outdoor re-fill for my soul. Plus, I had a great bed-time story to tell my son that night.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Also, congrats to all those who were successful recently. I enjoyed seeing photos and reading about your success. Good job guys!

Comment

[QUOTE=surfin Pete;8086838]New year’s eve Granger report. No kill, but lots of fun.

Well with a rare OK from my wife, I made it out to Granger in the afternoon, though she only gave me three hours -one hour or which was driving time. I hadn’t been to Granger in almost three years and was thrilled despite the short time allotted. I packed my gear, loaded my canoe and was on my way within 20 minutes. I think I saw Sneaky (based on last week’s hog success photos) at the small boat launch area getting ready to head out. He gave an over the shoulder wave, but looked intent on heading out, as was I, so with a wave back, I continued to the parking area and dropped in with my canoe.

I paddled for a while until I saw some good hog trails leading to the water and decided to hoof it from there. A short walk into the woods and I saw a big bodied deer through the trees, but I am only out for hogs, so I paid little attention. My strategy was to circle around upwind (yes upwind), then complete the circle and stalk slowly downwind for stirring hogs. This is my version of a one-man drive. Along my upwind route, as I was creeping steadily through thick brush, I stirred up three deer that must have been bedded down in the thick brush. I continued not more than 50 yards more and the brush exploded like a combination of a quail covey blasting up and a stampede of buffalo. No mistake, these were hogs. I froze and listened. Things got quiet, but I heard some grunting and squealing and knew they were settling back down. Just then, I got a call from my wife, which I am currently duty bound to answer. I’m working on revising this family “rule”, but it’s just the way it is right now if I want to make it back out in the woods anytime soon. I address the “crisis” in hushed whispers, and hang up the phone. Then, as quietly as possible, I crept downwind through the crunchy leaves and brush headed to a creek bottom where the hogs were last. Every now and then, I would stir the leaves lightly with my hands to sound like a bird rustling for bugs, as I struggled through holding yoga-like poses to worm quietly through the brush on all fours. The stirring of leaves is my attempt to mask crunchy footsteps. But by the time I get to the creek, the hogs had silently made their exit.

So, I continued my upwind flush/search and about 300 yards later caught up with a sow and about 3 or 4 -30 pound youngsters. Not the entirety of the stampede I had heard earlier, but a break off ground no doubt. Aware of my pursuit of them, they doubled back and headed back to the creek. As quietly as possible, I walk/ran parallel to them to try to cut them off. The saying “the hogs got their nikes on” really made sense to me at this point. When I got near the creek, the small sounder had joined back with the larger group, and they were all milling about. Interestingly, they were milling about in an area that I just walked through not more than 20 minutes earlier and didn’t seem overly concerned about my scent. I guess they’re used to it. With time running out, I crept in for a shot and managed to get a 75 pounder within 25 yards and pulled to full draw. My target hog was in some light brush and I considered how much deflection the brush might cause. The brush was not more than 3 feet in front of the hog, reducing the amount of deflection possible prior to impact, but erring on the side of caution, and not having time for a long track, I let down seconds before the hogs melted away into the brush.

I tried one more time to head downwind, then upwind up the creek, but the hogs were on to me once again and I could not make up the distance. Out of time, I headed back to my canoe, pushing the hogs some as I went. Along the way, I saw a big boded buck with a small rack- perhaps the same one I saw on my way in earlier that afternoon. I didn’t glass him with my binocs, but I think he was probably a six point with a nicely shaped, but small rack. I also saw a pop up blind back there- not sure if it was occupied, but I backed out the way I came and circled widely around to minimize my disturbance. If it was occupied, I hope I pushed the hogs toward you, and hope I didn’t push any deer away from you. I got back to my canoe, paddled to the boat launch and headed home satisfied with another great outing in the woods. A much needed outdoor re-fill for my soul. Plus, I had a great bed-time story to tell my son that night.

Thanks for reading.[/QUOT
        Good post. Great reading

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
          Also, congrats to all those who were successful recently. I enjoyed seeing photos and reading about your success. Good job guys!
          Great post! Feel free to PM me before your next trip out a I'll be happy to help you drive them!

Comment

Sneaky, thanks for the offer. I'll let you know the next time I head out.

Comment

Today is the day fellow blood brothers. See you out there this afternoon!

Comment

Good luck guys and be safe out there. If yall are gona be out on the water watch the wind.. supposed to blow 15-25 out of the south on Sat and turn around out of the north on Sun. Lake gets pretty rough!

Comment

Strong winds are good for us hog hunters!
                  Be safe everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    If you want to make his first hog hunt a good one, don't take him to Granger! It is a brush popping, blister inducing, arrow loosing, release eating, knife loosing, exhausting, wing shooting, frustrating hunt! That's why we love it so much; every hog killed at Granger is like hitting the Lotto!

Wanna find a good spot? Come on out on a hunt with us. You gotta go to know!
                    Sounds like the hunts we like! LOL! I have been running around Luminant and Somerville all year. Luminant got really stupid when rifle season opened. I walked up on more hunters than cows they had free ranging out there.

My father will be here next weekend and our schedule will be open to yours, seeing that we both will be on vacation for the rest of the month.

I guess we will have to see when you will be heading out there so meet up. I definitely do not want to be an inconvenience in your schedule. I am sure that we both will be more than willing to sling some arrows at some piggies.

Comment

What's the headcount for this weekend?

Comment

Dirtymike
                        crod888
                        Rat
                        Gage
                        Wildman
                        Jkuroski
                        Neano +1
                        TXfirefighter

8 in line?

Paintman, Grinderboy...?

I talked to Wildman yesterday, he is coming as well.

Comment

Originally posted by surfin Pete View Post
                          I continued to the parking area and dropped in with my canoe.
                          Do most hog hunters out there use canoe?

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                            Do most hog hunters out there use canoe?
                            I would say very few use a canoe, but that's just what I've observed on the days I've been out. The area I canoed to this week can be accessed by foot. The canoe saves me a little walking time, but really I just love to be on my caone. I tried my kayak once, but it's a little more difficult to stay dry-especially on the exit up the bank on a sub freezing morning, as I discovered once. Oh well, just a wet foot, not a complete dunking. I managed to stuff a processed pig into the kayak port hole that morning. See pics. A canoe allows you to bring the whole pig back if you don't mind a bloody canoe.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I'll be there along with at least one of my buddies, maybe more. I guess we'll probably run into at least a few of you at the Primative Boat Ramp?? I think we'll be sticking to the North side of the river. Maybe we'll push some of the over to you guys and vise versa. See ya before dawn, blood should be flowing tomorrow with the it cloudy and windy.
                              Maybe I'll get lucky and get another doe while I'm there too!!

Comment

You dudes that live close to Granger are killing me. It's an expedition for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X