Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
    Just a little hog info. I went out Thursday after work and got out there to the river around 4pm. I parked by the horse barn just up from the primitive boat launch and started walking east towards the mouth of the river. Just as I stepped into the woods I heard crashing coming towards me from above me where the main trail was and I see a large black hog flanking me so I took off in that first open area towards the river that has all the low briars. Well needles to say I ain't 20 anymore and the hog outran me. Ten minutes later I find myself just down river from the primative camp and down river from it maybe a quarter mile approx 520. I have hogs in sight on both sides of the river. A sounder on my side of sows and piglets and a giant lone boar across the river. I was froze because the leaves are so crunchy but to give u an idea I was right under the big Spanish oak right next to the river. I stood for about 15 more minutes and never got a shot on any hogs and at just about dark past shooting hours for shotgun I was hearing a bunch of shotgun shots as I headed back to the truck. Prob ten shots in a five minute period. Some guy that had all his hunter orange on was shooting rabbits and kept shooting at them as I past him on the main trail. It was almost pitch dark when I got in my truck prob 615 or so and this guy in a red Hyundai utv was still shooting. I mean he had to be lighting the rabbits up with a flashlight and then shooting them. I know that this was not legal but I didn't call the warden. I should have after thinking about it. Bird shot could kill someone at close range. Just FYI. And this was my first hog hunt of the year at granger to see hogs everywhere is good stuff.

Heard that the other night. Shooting well after dark. Glad you got into some hogs!

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
      Forgot I took this. The dead hog. Great shot at 30 yards though.
      Yep its been there for a week or more seen it the other day and almost threw an arrow at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Comehere deer View Post
        I agree with you Crod, it just creates more opportunities.
        I would much rather see nobody when I'm out there. It's pretty easy to find them if there not being pushed around all day long and getting pushed onto private land. I saw more people out this weekend then I ever have!

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
          Oh and if the person in the tree that waved his hunter orange vest at me I hope you got a shot on the three does I accidentally pushed to you. If u were deer hunting and you are on this forum. If not. Sorry for messing your set up.
          Pretty sure that was my old man said he saw you and you turned around as soon as you saw him. Appreciate the respect and common courtesy out there man...not everybody has it. We got our does already though!

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
            Did he have a broad head broke off in the left shoulder
            Idk didn't even want to pull my arrow out he stunk so bad. The three hunters also found one dead by the back fence near a barn they said.

Comment

Idk didn't even want to pull my arrow out he stunk so bad. The three hunters also found one dead by the back fence near a barn they said.
              There was another one about 100 yards from where that one was. Had the straps and hams taken though.

Comment

Only a few more days of deer season and then I can focus on hogs. Excited! Glad y'all are seeing them.

Comment

Sneaky report: My buddy and I kayaked from the primitive boat launch to the primitive camp this morning. We swept all of the riverside from the primitive camp all the way up to Comanche bluff. There were about 4-5 other hunters on the bluff at the same time as us, and we saw three groups of good-sized hogs, but none of them presented a reasonable shot for us, as they were constantly on the run. Here's the kicker, as we were loading up the kayak and just about to leave, we saw a huge group of 15 to 20 hogs literally run right across the main road leading up to the parking spot at the primitive launch. Then, as we stood there in amazement at what we had seen, yet another group of 5 to 10 hogs including one gigantic sow, ran across the road again from the same direction!! We had things to do, and where they cross the road was about 100 yards from the parking area, so we did not pursue them. Needless to say, it was pretty hilarious that after all that walking and hunting this morning the mother load trotted right on by us in plain sight! There are no hogs a Granger, folks!!

Comment

Forgot I took this. The dead hog. Great shot at 30 yards though.
                    Haha, I'm pretty sure that's the hog I also shot a couple weeks back. It was In the same spot you described. When I shot it, it had just been killed earlier that week because he was barely starting to smell. Glad everyone is seeing hogs! Should make for a great weekend coming up!

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                      Haha, I'm pretty sure that's the hog I also shot a couple weeks back. It was In the same spot you described. When I shot it, it had just been killed earlier that week because he was barely starting to smell. Glad everyone is seeing hogs! Should make for a great weekend coming up!
                      That's funny.

Comment

congratz on all the hog kills

even killing a dead hog is fun....

Crod I have cooking supplies for this coming weekend, including coffee. Almost impossible to get me to move around in the morning with out coffee. Sure RickyS will have coffee supplies aswell as he drinks it before bed and just about every 30 min

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          congratz on all the hog kills

even killing a dead hog is fun....

Crod I have cooking supplies for this coming weekend, including coffee. Almost impossible to get me to move around in the morning with out coffee. Sure RickyS will have coffee supplies aswell as he drinks it before bed and just about every 30 min
                          Awesome. Ammo(the lab)and I should be at the primitive camp around 1:30.
                          Looking forward to great people, great good and good hunting!

Comment

Looks like I'll be showing up either Friday night or first thing Saturday morning. Let me know if there is anything I can bring.

Comment

Anyone else seen the sign calling granger part of Texas wildlife management area and something about fishing rules have changed?is it still corp of engineers land or has that changed

Comment

Still the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X