No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed some new signs posted also. Comanchee bluff seems to be off limits. Pretty sure as I was going over the 95 bridge it also had the same sign. However at the bridge i was crusing by so it could of been the new yellow boundry signs I see posted at gate 6 and 7.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
      Welcome. You guys need to make it to initiation in February. Great time to learn from the generals.
      Is initiation different than the granger ranger extreme hunt?

Comment

Hey Guys. How has the weather been out at Granger and what do you think the rain and cold is going to do for the hog hunting? Im thinking of heading out Thursday and Friday night.

Comment

Hegster, Let me know if you are going out... I might try and tag along. You hunting from the ground or tree stand?

Comment

Originally posted by Jmb512 View Post
            Is initiation different than the granger ranger extreme hunt?
            Your first GRXH will be the initiation. Newbies welcome. One Rule, do not bring any food, beer is not food.

Comment

Txsowslayer I will let you know... Will most likely be Thursday after work. I am going to be picking up a 12ft Jon boat tomorrow were are some good spots to try out by boat? I will be putting in at the primitive launch if I take the boat down. Do you think the island would be a goo bet?

Comment

Good and thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Hegster View Post
                  Txsowslayer I will let you know... Will most likely be Thursday after work. I am going to be picking up a 12ft Jon boat tomorrow were are some good spots to try out by boat? I will be putting in at the primitive launch if I take the boat down. Do you think the island would be a goo bet?
                  If u have not been to the primitive launch I recommend checking it out before bringing a boat. It's steep. If your bringing a large strong dude it would be easy. Along and a flat bottom boat you are going to be doing more unloading loading and paddling than hunting IMO. There is a lot of land that u can access quickly by foot. Good luck hope you nail one! try hunting your way from gate 6 to 7 and back. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Dirtymike sounds good. Do you think between 6 and 7 is the best bet?

Comment

I dont know if it is the best bet. But it is a good area for sure. Lots of ground to be covered. I have had luck to start on the low ground early in the day by the river work my way along. Its gets nasty thick in some areas so you will learn where to avoid. Then on the way back in the evening work the edge of the tree line between the woods and the open pasture. Cant tell you how many pigs I have caught moving around in that open pasture in the evenings. Seems like early they move into the thick woods. Evening they are moving back towards the pastures and corn fields. Either way that route will give you an idea of the layout and then get on google earth to come up with a plan. Really no wrong way to hunt granger. Except from home. Which has been the way I been hunting it so I can assure you it is not working out well for me.

Comment

There are no hogs at Granger, just tons of deer hunters working really hard to get their deer this year and scaring off the hogs.

Comment

Went out today got off early from work hunted from 3-7 didn't see any deer (didn't get lucky enough to draw so didn't matter) got with in 60yds of a sal and 6 piglets but when j tried to move in closer only thing around me was sticks and logs so I stayed out hoping she would move closer instead she justice her way along the bank tried going in after her but she was now where to be found
                          I don't think I ever spooked her never heard her squeal or run off through the brush

Comment

With a 12 ft john boat you can launch at Willis Creek park and motor over to Sore Finger. The tree areas in sore finger are all up close to the lake, and dont see much pressure because it is like a mile to hike in from the north. And if you dont get a hog, you can always jig for crappie in the timber on the way home.

Comment

Went out early this morning on a last minute hunt. Walked the spot and down river from there. Lots of fresh hog sign in the area. Walked within 10 yards of a 125lb boar bedded down. He stood up and I took a shot through the thick stuff he was in. Ended up hitting a small tree in front of him I didn't see. He ran. Bad news is I missed and buried my Muzzy in the tree so I had to leave the broadhead. Good news is I found one of my arrows I let fly the last time I was out at the ranger hunt earlier this year! It was sitting 5ft from where I missed the boar. Spooked another small group on my way out but didn't get a shot. Nice morning to be out. Found someone's setup, a hanging feeder and a ladder stand. Btw your outta corn. Good spot you got. I'll go around it next time.

Comment

I went out this morning and saw a ton of fresh sign in 6, but didn't see any hogs. I bumped into a guy who said he killed three out of 6 in the last two weeks. I went over to the railroad tracks and played hide and seek with a nice looking boar but couldn't get a shot before he swam across the water. I am curious where "the spot" is.. Or is that a secret? Tx firefighter, where do you work?

Comment

Working...
                                X