No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I could get some time to make the trip. Hopefully. I'll get a weekend free some.

Comment

Havent been to Granger in a couple of years... Last time i was there i spent 3 days and never saw one hog... I think i am going to try again soon....

Comment

I'd invest my time on a good overcast rainy day. Or go after deer season is finished in January-March.

Comment

I'm going next Monday evening. If anyone has gone please give a report.

How hot could it be hiking 3 miles in to try and stick a hog at 5 in the evening? LOL

Comment

May go in the A.M. Anyone want to go?

Hike in, in the dark while it's cool(I mean hot but not blistering LOL) then hunt for an hour or two then head out.

Comment

Great thread guys. I am new to the fourm and dont even own a bow yet. Been doing my homework. I usally gun hunt on my inlaws place in Victoria but we just had a new baby 2 weeks old this sunday so places closer to home work better with a young baby. I wont be asking yall for any honey holes, or best hunting spots. I may need some tips along the way but like I said I like to do my homework. Going out again tomorrow am to scout. I think I am going to like this more than sitting in a blind waiting for a feeder to go off. Hope to meet and hunt with you guys and when I have some info to share I will.

What I kinda was planning was to back pack in with a light backpacking tent, and camp close to where I set up a pig pipe. I am not even sure if you can set up pig pipes but from what I read it does say you can hunt over bait. How do yall pack in your corn for those of you who do hunt over bait. The other question is how do you pack out a big ol hog. Is it most common to dress it out there. I was thinking just get the hams, back starps and front shoulder and pack them back out.

Comment

I also own two kayaks and was thinking running trot lines at night and catfishing, Maybe using the kayaks to haul the pig out as well. Seems like it would be a great three day weekend. Start setting up and hauling in corn on thursday and hopefully bar b q ing pigs by sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                  I also own two kayaks and was thinking running trot lines at night and catfishing, Maybe using the kayaks to haul the pig out as well. Seems like it would be a great three day weekend. Start setting up and hauling in corn on thursday and hopefully bar b q ing pigs by sunday.
                  Its not hard hunting like most people on here make it out to be. Just gotta know what your doing. Good luck.. Try and kill em all!!! If you need help hauling it out give me a shout. I am out there every day. Well not until Monday. Im in Port A for a few days
                  Last edited by gbeard; 08-07-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
                    Its not hard hunting like most people on here make it out to be. Just gotta know what your doing. Good luck.. Try and kill em all!!! If you need help hauling it out give me a shout. I am out there every day. Well not until Monday. Im in Port A for a few days
                    This is a true stetement....; I have the pictures to prove it, you have to do your homework and scout it out. I have probably walked over 100 miles stalking pigs on that place.

Kody

Comment

Well my wife is really giving me a hard time about buying a bow. She says I have too many guns, kayaks, tents, fishing poles......bla bla bla bla. This is coming from the woman that has not a single intrest except watching TV and reading Perezhilton.com I just cant bring myself to sell a gun. Each one is special in its own way. I think I will just have to stalk them and then beat them to death with a stick when I find them. Or jump on them with a spear like in Rambo. Wonder what the GW would say if he found me walking around with a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                        Well my wife is really giving me a hard time about buying a bow. She says I have too many guns, kayaks, tents, fishing poles......bla bla bla bla. This is coming from the woman that has not a single intrest except watching TV and reading Perezhilton.com I just cant bring myself to sell a gun. Each one is special in its own way. I think I will just have to stalk them and then beat them to death with a stick when I find them. Or jump on them with a spear like in Rambo. Wonder what the GW would say if he found me walking around with a spear.
                        Well, if you wanna save nearly half on a great bow I'd shop ArcheryTalk.com. just got a Mathews Reezen, all set-up and crackerized for $800, the bow alone at a shop is $800, I got nearly $475 dollars in accessories free and also didnt have to pay tax. i'd go that route for a bow.

This would be a great deal for a beginer.
                        Last edited by Archer23; 08-09-2009, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Went to Granger this AM. Yes even in the dark it was HOT! Saw some interesting sights but no pigs. Ponds are way way low. Birds covered the pong like it was in Africa, that was pretty cool. Carp were thick in the pond thats out in the open..I had to poke a few with a stick LOL(since arrows cost too much). And I had a fawn deer run up to me twice, I guess thinking I was it's mother since I was wearing a brown shirt. Got within 20 yards of me.

Green plants are up between 5 and 8 feet tall and thick anywhere there used to be plain dirt like where the coves/shallows were in the lake and in a lot of the old ragweed. You would have to dang near literally kick a pig before you would see it.

Comment

Yea, I wont be out there until the pecan start to drop, around mid-oct maybe.

Comment

Comment

Carp were stacked in there thick. There were at least 12 of them in that picture, you can barely see their backs. I poked them with that ragweed stick a couple times LOL.

See how thick it is in the bottom pic. And humid as could be.

Pics were with my phone camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X