Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see why... the grove was about the same as last year as far as bush and grass. Spent the morning there then tried a new spot around 12 up until now I've Malaysia gone to the grove or spillway. Yesterday I tried 7 and holy crap I was up to my chest in little sticker burrs LOL I'm sticking to the grove until all this brush dies off! I had 3 feral pig ranging from 50-75 lbs and they could be hidden in 1' tall hay... I can only imagine what can hide I. 3-4' of grass and brush

Comment

Wow auto correct made that come out horrible. * up until now I have only been to pecan grove is what it was supposed to say

Comment

It's usually real tough this time of year not only cause of the tall grass and conditions but because they pile up near the crop fields and seem to leave Granger till the pecans start falling. It's encouraging people are still seeing them this late into the spring/summer

Comment

I was thinking it might be a good time to go right after they harvest those fields because there will be no where to hide on private land when there isn't 3'-4' of corn stalks. I was also paying attention to all the dewberry patches I bet they tear them up

Comment

I have seen where hogs have rooted up dewberry patches to get to something in the roots and just leave the berries. I couldn't believe that they'd pass up the berries but in this case they did.

Comment

That's crazy I would think they would tear them up but now that you mention it... I didn't see any rooting around them and there were lots of berries ripe for the picking

Comment

[QUOTE=surfin Pete;7021171]I have seen where hogs have rooted up dewberry patches to get to something in the roots and just leave the berries. I couldn't believe that they'd pass up the berries but in this case they did.[/Q

I have noticed the same thing out there. Seems like they only go after the roots. Look out for piglets nested up in the briar patches.

Comment

Went out today to set up a spot to hunt next weekend. Could hear squealing down the creek where I set my gear but didn't pursue it had the wife and little one with me we got a late start and it was hot! Have to go back tomorrow am to replace my feeder motor it wouldn't spin when I hung it.

Comment

Know it is thick, but how is it going at Granger?

Comment

Didn't see anything when we went out this weekend... only caught a doe on my game cam. I expect that to change next weekend but we will see

Comment

This rain should have them all over.

Comment

Went out this morning and evening no luck. Had lots on my game cam though... some of them were bigguns!

Comment

So I moved my gear to another set of trails yesterday. I always get hogs out there on my cam but never consistently. I get them one evening then nothing for 2 days and then they show up in the middle of the day... etc. So I'm trying some trails coming off private land into the wma hoping to get them coming and going more consistently. Anybody had luck patterning these hogs or do they just cruise around whenever and wherever they want? Also does anybody know if you were to take down some of these monster pigs out there. Would the park rangers be willing to open the gate and allow you to drive the roads into the wma to retrieve them or is it no exceptions drag or Dolly it out? Definetly would sway my decision between shooting something gnarly or just something I could carry out! Lol

Comment

I will be out today at 5:30-6pm if anybody would care to join me!

Comment

Originally posted by chevota View Post
                                So I moved my gear to another set of trails yesterday. I always get hogs out there on my cam but never consistently. I get them one evening then nothing for 2 days and then they show up in the middle of the day... etc. So I'm trying some trails coming off private land into the wma hoping to get them coming and going more consistently. Anybody had luck patterning these hogs or do they just cruise around whenever and wherever they want? Also does anybody know if you were to take down some of these monster pigs out there. Would the park rangers be willing to open the gate and allow you to drive the roads into the wma to retrieve them or is it no exceptions drag or Dolly it out? Definetly would sway my decision between shooting something gnarly or just something I could carry out! Lol
                                I would plan on taking a smaller pig or quartering it out in the woods. I haven't been able to get any assistance since Johnny was running the show out there. He took me out on the 4-wheeler once below the dam to get one of my hogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X