No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have to check out some of my honey holes and kill one if the mosquitoes don't carry me away...

Comment

I went between 6 & 7 and below the dam this past weekend and I will say that those hogs are definately smart than I am. I swear it must've hit 130, maybe 140 degrees in the shade. The grass was high and the brush was thick. The mosquitoes were as large as sparrows and they just smiled and chuckled a bit as they licked the deet off, just before sticking that harpoon through every exposed piece of skin. I saw deer, squirrels, and armadillo but no hogs. I saw plenty of sign, droppings, wallows (in what little water there was), tracks but no hogs. I heard some hogs but never even got a glimpse of them. It's official, they win

Comment

I'm planning on going out there soon. Thinking an afternoon trip to scout and then get out there before sunrise to see if I can't find some hogs. Do you think below the dam would be best? Any suggestions? I'm new to archery and bowhunting (started shooting in March), and I've only taken, or shot at for that matter, one hog.

Comment

Any area that is holding water you will find them. Look for fresh wallows (dark mud) that has been turned over. Also im not sure but Willis Creek use to hand an area about 1/2 walk from the gate that held some water. It was like a little pond. Not to sure if it has any water in it but this might not be a bad place to look. Also by the spillway, Ive heard hogs have been seen crossing the river back and forth because it is so shallow. Rumor has it that a 350 lb hog got stuck down in the mud because the mud was so deep. Im not sure if this is true but my buddy swears by it. Let me know if your heading out there and I can show you around if you would like.

Comment

By the way has anyone been hunting Granger latley?

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure when I'll be heading up there, got family stuff this weekend and next, but I absolutely want to go sometime in July. The only problem is you can't hunt out there at night so i'm not too optimistic.

Comment

Actually legal shooting hours start 30 mins before sunrise and 30 mins after sundown for hog hunting out at granger.

Comment

I'll for sure have to invest in a pair of snake boots. Chaps will be a bit too hot right now. Below the dam should be prime right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                    I'll for sure have to invest in a pair of snake boots. Chaps will be a bit too hot right now. Below the dam should be prime right now.
                    I called over to the Ranger station the other day, after leaving a voicemail I was contacted back and apparently they haven't seen much activity as far as hogs go. The guy I spoke to said that they believe they are all in the corn fields next to the property. He said it is very dry. Also I asked him about this 300 pounder that apparently got stuck in the mud while crossing the dam, he said he hadn't heard anything about it but it did happen a few years back when they had the flood so its a possibility. The last time I hunted I was near the PC and the grass was near my knees, I can only imagine now how tall it is.

Comment

I might have to get a PVC pole going with nasty black corn mush. 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom 2-3 feet to let it oouze out. That will bring the hogs in. They LOVE that stuff and the scent carries for miles. I'll have to schedule a good four day hunt to sit on it.

Comment

Hogs, on my hit list

Comment

I'll be in G-Town about August 10 if any of ya'll want to get together and try to stick a couple out at Granger. PM me if any one wants to go.....

Comment

How is it out at Granger right now? besides hot LOL.

Are the pigs still around or are they out in the corn fields? When do they harvest the corn anyway?

Comment

I was out at the lake yesterday with the family, they were cutting the corn on the south fields across the road from the WMA. I didnt see that they were doing any on the WMA yet. When your driving in from Taylor you can see the Milo fields have just been tore up by the hogs.

Comment

Good.. Im ready to cook up some ribs. I just got a new Martin bow that I am wanting to break in before deer season starts.I am alos hoping to get drawn for the deer hunt out there this year. I saw a nice one in March that was a wall hanger.

Comment

Working...
                                X