Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvickery2 View Post
    Crod888,

I'm heading out Tuesday morning if you feel like showing a new guy around (doesn't have to be your sweet spots). I will also be out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning with the kids.
    Good luck out there but be careful with the kiddos. Ran into two rattlesnakes out there the other day.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the rattlesnakes. I was hoping the cold front would stay through the weekend but it looks like 80 degrees. We will probably go early morning and late afternoon. My boys are 10 and 13 and looking for their first kills. I figure we'll at least kill some time outdoors away from video games.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the rattlesnakes. I was hoping the cold front would stay through the weekend but it looks like 80 degrees. We will probably go early morning and late afternoon. My boys are 10 and 13 and looking for their first kills. I figure we'll at least kill some time outdoors away from video games.

Randy
        I don't mind company. Especially with the the rattle bugs out there and being so far out. It's good to have another person. Ill pm you if I decide morning or afternoon

Comment

Finally made it out there.
          Saw some people fishing(lots of people fishing in general along highway) but no one else hunting.

Went to gate 6, and headed down to section V.
          I assumed from the pictures posted here you can't hunt by the red stuff, is that correct?

I went to section V because of the wind mostly, to double back around walking into the wind on a different angle back. Was thinking later maybe I should of went to VI instead.

Found four bump feeders, which I walked by (guessing this was for deer hunting?). Saw no hogs, nice area, and a good walk regardless.

The live grass out there was a lot taller than i thought it would be, figured it would still be dead from the winter weather....i prob walked by some pigs just hanging in the grass.

This place is a lot different than Lake Georgetown land wise. I might have to try fishing out there, can you bring a light rig out there?

That wind was ridiculous!

Comment

naw, the red is just some major trails. Or at they used to be.

Comment

Randy
              Yea was hoping it was gona hang around as well but looks like its gona be back to hot! There are still some pigs left over out there from the heli hunt just spooky. Good luck to your boys getting their first kill.

Comment

are there other place that you can hunt hogs on public land around here

Comment

I found 3 other places but not very close to Austin.

Richland Creek in Navarro County - 10,800 acres
                  March 1 - April 30 All legal means, no bait, dogs, or night hunting

Lake Somerville SP - 3200 acres
                  Archery only, baiting allowed from 2/1 - 7/31

Luminant in Robertson County - 1080 acres
                  Nov. 3 - March 31 All legal means

I thought of trying other places so I can reach out and touch them with a .308. Without tree stands my boys might make too much noise to stalk them close enough for an arrow.

Comment

Do most try to bait them at Granger and wait in a stand? Bait and wait from the ground? Or stalk them without bait?

Comment

when i went we stalked

Comment

Most of the folks I know walk and stalk. Groups can put on drives. Baiting has not proven very effective unless you can hunt every day for a week.
                        Last edited by Wudstix; 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I thought about baiting and I plan to be there friday, saturday, and sunday. Go early morning and late afternoon, taking a break during the heat of the day. I figured our best chance might be Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning.

Comment

Not sure if I'm gonna make it out today. With a wedding on the horizon I need to knock some stuff off the list

Comment

how ya been brothers? any one been out,ill prob be trying to this weekend{morning times}

Comment

Didn't go today wedding stuff and really not find of goin out there alone anymore with the snakes being seen. Yes. Take my man card away. But being out there and something happening along way from help doesn't sound fun

Comment

Working...
                                X