X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that earlier in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
      I have a question. I've been wanting to do this for a few years now. Looks like I may be able to if I bring my 4 year old son, which means I'd have to bring food FOR HIM ONLY. Would y'all welcome us in yer camp under those conditions? It'll be really cool to get my youngin in on this.
      i cant speak for the (generals)but if they didnt let your son have some food i think they would need a river bath,lol bring him on

Comment

I heard the same thing a couple of weeks ago so I called TPWD and the COE office at Granger,they told me it is all still up in the air.
        Just have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post

Because of the budget cuts, it's very possible that the draw hunts are gone for next year and the corp will take The WMA back.

This was the scuttlebutt this week.
          So, question...IF the COE takes it back and T,F,&W passes, what would that mean for hunting hogs? Wouldn't they allow it to continue basically as before sans the $48 APH Permit? Or what? Curious...

Comment

Well, just speculating, it would probably revert to the way other local Corps land is managed. Copied from the Stillhouse Hollow rules -You may:

1. Hunt in designated hunting areas and adjacent waters only.
            2. Hunt dove, waterfowl, quail, rabbit, and squirrel at Belton Lake only.
            3. Hunt dove, waterfowl, and quail at Stillhouse Hollow Lake only.
            4. Hunt using shotgun with shot load only.
            5. Hunt waterfowl with steel shot only.
            6. Use temporary or natural blinds. All temporary blinds will be removed at the end of each day.
            7. Camp in designated park areas only.
            8. Operate vehicles on designated roads only.

You may not:

1. Hunt outside of designated hunting areas.
            2. Hunt within 600 feet of private property or designated recreation area.
            3. Hunt deer or turkey.
            4. Hunt, trap, or capture fur bearing and other non-game animals.
            5. Use rifles, pistols, or shotguns with buckshot or slugs.
            6. Engage in target practice of any type.
            7. Use traps, snares, bait, or tranquilizers to take any wildlife.
            8. Hunt, pursue, or harass eagles, hawks, owls, bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions, or any wildlife species that is listed as endangered or threatened with extermination.

Now, as I read these rules, number 4 under 'you may not' is problematic. Says you cannot hunt non-game animals. (And those tasty Granger hogs are a non-game animal). But perhaps there will be an opportunity for public comment.
            Last edited by NightStalker; 01-09-2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
              Well, just speculating, it would probably revert to the way other local Corps land is managed. Copied from the Stillhouse Hollow rules -You may:

1. Hunt in designated hunting areas and adjacent waters only.
              2. Hunt dove, waterfowl, quail, rabbit, and squirrel at Belton Lake only.
              3. Hunt dove, waterfowl, and quail at Stillhouse Hollow Lake only.
              4. Hunt using shotgun with shot load only.
              5. Hunt waterfowl with steel shot only.
              6. Use temporary or natural blinds. All temporary blinds will be removed at the end of each day.
              7. Camp in designated park areas only.
              8. Operate vehicles on designated roads only.

You may not:

1. Hunt outside of designated hunting areas.
              2. Hunt within 600 feet of private property or designated recreation area.
              3. Hunt deer or turkey.
              4. Hunt, trap, or capture fur bearing and other non-game animals.
              5. Use rifles, pistols, or shotguns with buckshot or slugs.
              6. Engage in target practice of any type.
              7. Use traps, snares, bait, or tranquilizers to take any wildlife.
              8. Hunt, pursue, or harass eagles, hawks, owls, bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions, or any wildlife species that is listed as endangered or threatened with extermination.

Now, as I read these rules, number 4 under 'you may not' is problematic. Says you cannot hunt non-game animals. (And those tasty Granger hogs are a non-game animal). But perhaps there will be an opportunity for public comment.
              From the Granger Army Corps. Website -
              Archery hunting for feral hogs is allowed year round except when areas are closed for draw hunts.

Comment

They will not take hogs off the allowed species list at granger, at least don't think they would. Not sure why they don't allow deer hunting around stillhouse they are everywhere out there, maybe pressure from bordering landowners not to allow it? I'm guessing the deer hunting at granger might continue through a similar system to what lake georgetown uses, or though the postcard sytem used this year in conjuncture with the corp.

Comment

Don't see how they could prohibit hog hunting when the state/nation is trying to get rid of them.

Comment

Heading out this afternoon, hope I can bring home the bacon!

Comment

Mid week has much less pressure for those who can do that.

Comment

GRXH is starting to look like Woodstock.

Comment

Question (and my apologies if this seems stupid) but does a full moon push back when the hogs start moving (like well past sundown)? Or does the extra light get them on the move earlier?

Comment

Probably just like it effects deer. Haven't checked for the end of Feb yet. Cool, overcast, drizzly will also get them moving at anytime.

Comment

In my humble opinion, no. If it is clear, then no moon or full moon, I never see them moving during legal hours. Full moon nights **** you off more, because you can still clearly see your pins, but have to head back to the truck nonetheless.

Overcast and fog are more important. Low overcast or foggy days will get them moving earlier.
                              Last edited by NightStalker; 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorider View Post
                                I'm brand new to bowhunting and looking to hunt some hogs at Granger WMA, starting out at San Gabriel. I've already found a TON OF GREAT information on this site. My question is more tactical....what are some good broad heads for killing hogs? Any help is appreciated and Happy New Year!
                                Did anyone answer you?

You may want to post up in Equipment and Tuning section.

Comment

Working...
                                X