"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bosshawg401 View Post
    Anyone have any luck out there lately? Being new to the area, what areas do I have the best chance in for hogs. What bait is working? I tried the river areas few times with no luck. Any ideas?
    Thicks are good.we ran hogs Sunday at number six.come to the extreme hunt ikn feb you'll get a plethera of knowledge about granger

Comment

Really I think hunting granger is about bootleather. You got to cover a lot of ground. There are so many people that hunt it the hogs get pushed from place to place. Only luck I had at patterning them is during the summer when there was NO water. The place is covered with hogs, move slow, pay attention and cover a lot of ground and go often, or just get lucky. My prefrences are San Gabriel, Pecan Groove. More than any I usally hunt the san gabriel cause I know the area well. I have certain spots that I like to check to see if they been active or not. Next trip out i hit up the spots I seen sign or busted some up out of the woods. This I know, there are hogs ALL over granger WMA. Just got to be in the right place at the right time, and a little bit of knowledge of the lay of the land can help your odds. Just got to get out there and come up with a strategy. If it dont work change it. Thats what keeps it intresting. Good luck!

Comment

I'm brand new to bowhunting and looking to hunt some hogs at Granger WMA, starting out at San Gabriel. I've already found a TON OF GREAT information on this site. My question is more tactical....what are some good broad heads for killing hogs? Any help is appreciated and Happy New Year!

Comment

Went out today... Started at unit 5 headed south/ southeast then ran the water & reeds back to 7, almost 6 . No luck. I did see 2 does with a nice buck and pushed a huge owl out of the thick. Oh and 2 hunters posted right at 6. They kept waving thier orange at us but we had stopped way back.
          Just wondering your guys' opinion.... If you see hunters posted up but you are pushing an area do you continue or Stop and head another direction? And do you talk to them or keep your distance?

Side note:
          Cant WAIT for GRXH! looking forward to some more fresh fried catfish, alittle turtle and a big *** bond fire! Lets do this.

Comment

I dont mind being approached. If someone was waving their orange at me or some other signal I would find another area. Some people I am sure would be really upset. But the bottom line is it is public land. You dont have more right than I or the next guy. I think common sense and courtisy is in play. If they are signaling you that means, to me anyway. "I am here hunting please go to another spot".

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
              ... bootleather. You got to cover a lot of ground... The place is covered with hogs, move slow, pay attention and cover a lot of ground and go often...there are hogs ALL over granger WMA...little bit of knowledge of the lay of the land can help your odds... Just got to get out there and come up with a strategy... If it dont work change it.
              That is good advice right there. You can't get on them hogs if you don't get out there and walk. That's just the way Granger is, find a trail and set up your ambush, then don't forget to post pictures.

Comment

Going out this evening.... Lets see what we can stick!

Comment

Two more for GRXH 2012...Myself and Coleslaw will be attending with possible transportation. Hopefully little less luggage this time!

Comment

Might want to post that on the GRXH thread so they can add you in

Comment

Thanks gbeard

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                        Wud let's plan a camp with food
                        I'll let you know. Have two jobs to coordinate for time off. Was thinking first part of Feb. That should get some intel close to the GRXH 2012.

Comment

I have a question. I've been wanting to do this for a few years now. Looks like I may be able to if I bring my 4 year old son, which means I'd have to bring food FOR HIM ONLY. Would y'all welcome us in yer camp under those conditions? It'll be really cool to get my youngin in on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                            I have a question. I've been wanting to do this for a few years now. Looks like I may be able to if I bring my 4 year old son, which means I'd have to bring food FOR HIM ONLY. Would y'all welcome us in yer camp under those conditions? It'll be really cool to get my youngin in on this.
                            There is a Granger Extreme hunt thread in Around the Campfire. might wanna throw this question over there, so if they give the ok, y'all can be included in the head count

Comment

GRXH is filling up fast. Make your reservations now.

Comment

It was a fun last hunt at Granger unit C this week and it may have turned out to be the last draw hunt for a long time.

Like many of you guys, I've hunted and fished out there for over 20 years. I know the place like my own backyard.

I've really enjoyed the draw hunts and enjoyed countin deer with Johnny, hauling the scrap barrel out or anything else he thought he could get me to do.

Because of the budget cuts, it's very possible that the draw hunts are gone for next year and the corp will take The WMA back.

This was the scuttlebutt this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X