No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome stuff there 'stix ...just shot me a huge boar Friday over at Somerville while deer hunting and couldn't find him after half a day ..in my defense I shot him head on at less than 5 yards coming at me, so I naturally figgered I was "somewhat" justified in not waiting for that perfect quartering away broadside shot...first time trying out some of those Magnus Rothaar Snuffers after having so many bad experiences with bent tips on the Magnus II's I used to use..manm they are tough...sank the arrow about 8" deep through the shiled and all down into the shoulder and got a little bright foamy lung hit blood along with all the buckets of darker blood while trailing...never had a blood trail like that with anything before..,can't wait to try them out over at my favorite hog haunt there at Granger Gotta figure out a way to do the GRXH thing this year methinks ...

Comment

Originally posted by SMOOTHboar View Post
      Man! It was CRAZY!!! There was sooooooo many people out. Bird watchers, back packer, duck hunters, some old dude on a 1983 Schwinn.

We took two juvies. We had to go almost to the lake to get on anything. They were hunkered down on the north side of the dry creek about 200 yards NE of the "mudflats".
      I usally have the same expeience on that side. It is more of the touristy, non hunting side do to all the links on hiknig websites. I tend to prefer the other side of the river. yes you run into other people but the usally also are hunting and not stomping thru the woods running everything off. Ah JMHO. Heading out for a while sunday. After 50hr of insurance law, policys,and terms I need some time away. Piggies or not. Plus I came home to fine a new Becker on my doorstep to test out!

Comment

Just drove down to the primitive boat ramp to look at river level and had big black boar run across the parking lot in front of me. Looked at the river and was getting back into truck and had some more cross heading west. A hunter came out about 2-3 minutes later.

Comment

Id TB, Snuffers do put a big hole in anything. Put a 250 pound sow down in 40 yards last year. Take more time to sharped than two blade Ribtek. I have bent just as many Snuffer as anything else, except Ribtek. GRXH 24-26 Feb this year. About 19 Rangers in attendance so far.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
            Just drove down to the primitive boat ramp to look at river level and had big black boar run across the parking lot in front of me. Looked at the river and was getting back into truck and had some more cross heading west. A hunter came out about 2-3 minutes later.
            That was me you saw out there last Sunday.I saw four pigs on that side they were huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
              Id TB, Snuffers do put a big hole in anything. Put a 250 pound sow down in 40 yards last year. Take more time to sharped than two blade Ribtek. I have bent just as many Snuffer as anything else, except Ribtek. GRXH 24-26 Feb this year. About 19 Rangers in attendance so far.
              Yeah, I discovered the snuffers take some work to sharpen, lol...about 80 to 100 strokes per side on a 14" ******* mill file to get them acceptably sharp...but man I DO love what they do re blood trails
              I want to do the GRXH thing sometime but I wonder how I would fare with my blood sugar issue re the food thing...if I got myself back into somewhat reasonable shape it might cure itself and not be an issue anymore and I then might be able to go and comply with the "thuthstenance" rule (as Daffy Duck would pronunce it)...would wanna do it the right way and not require special exceptions be made for my fat butt ' cause I let myself go
              Perhaps by February if I get in some roadwork/aerobics and get my weight/blood pressure down the blood sugar thing might cease to be an issue - I'm gonna try, and see how it progresses...I'll let y'all know when we get closer to the event if I think I can do it - every year I follow you guys' story and wish I'd done it, so I've gotta at least try it sometime

- and Carnage/Alec..great scoop! But you guys better take it easy on tellin' those huge hog stories, 'cause I've already got the bug so bad I all but dream of big smelly pigs instead of pinup gals anymore, and there's something about that right there which just ain't right y'all

Comment

Idaho, there are certain exclusions for the no food allowed for GRXH I do believe. Might have to clear it with the authorites but for med reasons I am sure some candy or what ever is needed to keep you alive and healthy while attending is OKed.

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                  That was me you saw out there last Sunday.I saw four pigs on that side they were huge.
                  It was nice to meet you , I saw another group shortly after I met you. Might have to head over there with the bow next week.

Comment

GRXH is shaping up. @27 Rangers so far, this is fluid I know. Hoping for some cool weather, with overcast. Need to patch my canoe. Hope to make one trip up prior to Rangers arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Idaho, there are certain exclusions for the no food allowed for GRXH I do believe. Might have to clear it with the authorites but for med reasons I am sure some candy or what ever is needed to keep you alive and healthy while attending is OKed.
                      Thanks D.M. ...have been contacted by the authority(s) ..I do believe I just might be there this year, now that for medical reasons I can bring along a prime rib roast, fritos, mayo, bbq sauce, loaf of bread, brick of cheese, case of beer, dancing girls... - I'll be the guy running the concession stand next to where y'all put in with the boats j/k
                      ...thanks guys!

Comment

Man could probably pay of the truck with a taco stand Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Now I am going to hold you to the case of beer and dancing girls thing!

Comment

If you're talking to me the case of Shiner might be OK. Hope to make a prior GRXH trip, in Jan or early Feb, maybe both if the stars and planets allign right.
                            Last edited by Wudstix; 12-23-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Wud let's plan a camp with food

Comment

Anyone have any luck out there lately? Being new to the area, what areas do I have the best chance in for hogs. What bait is working? I tried the river areas few times with no luck. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X