No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out yesterday afternoon around 5PM at San Gabriel. I saw some pigs, made a shot at one of them but missed it. I mis-calculated the distance, I thought it was 30 yards but I think it was closer than that (maybe 20 yards). It is hard to judge the distance when it is dark (7:15PM). Going back tomorrow morning around 6:30 AM same place.

Comment

Sucks about the miss man. Easy to do in the dark. Were they in the rag weed? Or down by the river?

Comment

So I'm getting dragged to Austin for a wedding next weekend. Looks like I can sneak away Saturday for a little pig hunt. Any tips for a last minute one day hunt at Granger?

Comment

I shot a boar this morning (7:30). The arrow connected this time but only 2 inches deep (head shot). I looked for blood but only found my arrow (missing broadhead and insert) soak with blood about an inch deep. The shot was made at San Gabriel across the river from Dickerson Bottom. I looked all-over the area but no dead pig.

Comment

TGM; Hunt some of the flat below the RR bridge along the river. Concentrate on the river and you might find them bedded nearby. Focus on water. That is key now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
              TGM; Hunt some of the flat below the RR bridge along the river. Concentrate on the river and you might find them bedded nearby. Focus on water. That is key now.
              Appreciate it. I'll buy you a beer if run into each other.

Comment

Park at the little pull off at the creek and follow the Jeep road down stream. There is a pretty easy to follow trail that will get you a mile or two down river. (probably still has flagging hanging in the trees) It follows the open fields on your right. Be ready for pigs at any time. Sometimes you catch them coming back from the river. There is a good sized flat area on your left hand as the river bends. Focus on water. There might be some low wallow spots in there as well. I like to park and walk in prior to first light getting as fas down as I can before shooting light.
                Last edited by Wudstix; 10-16-2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Sounds like your on the hogs pretty well. I can't seen to pattern them like that. Find them one day go back the next gone! Did manage a 70 pound sow the other morn at Willis creek. First pig of the year! Jumped several does but never saw them fast enough.
                  Last edited by huntnfishtex; 10-16-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Sucks that you couldn't find him. Buddy shot one like that last year found thw arrow no broadheada and missing a couple inches of the arrow. Found a lil blood but never the pig.

Comment

Hogs are tough customers. You really have to hit them well, or they'll run off and live. Heard it said they can live on one lung.

Comment

Have not been out to Granger since last year. I still want to kill me a Granger Hog. Last month I drove up to Luminant to unit #607. I was just out their checking it out and I walked up on 6-7 hogs in a dried up river bed. They just stood their and stared at me. I was able to get within about 20 yards before they just walked off the other way. I guess they could see that I did not have my bow with me. I have been itching to go back out their and see if their still as calm when I have my bow with me.

Comment

Granger hogs sleep at 5 m.p.h.

Comment

Originally posted by Suttle1976 View Post
                            Have not been out to Granger since last year. I still want to kill me a Granger Hog. Last month I drove up to Luminant to unit #607. I was just out their checking it out and I walked up on 6-7 hogs in a dried up river bed. They just stood their and stared at me. I was able to get within about 20 yards before they just walked off the other way. I guess they could see that I did not have my bow with me. I have been itching to go back out their and see if their still as calm when I have my bow with me.
                            My boy and I went out to #607 last year a week before opening day and didn't see a single person. We saw 5-6 does so we went back out there for opening day and there was pickups everywhere. I thought it was unusual that there was a season for hogs. (OCt 1 thru March 31)

Comment

There should not be too many places with water at Granger, focus on them.

Comment

Went out yest afternoon to pecan grove and found a group of hogs prob 4 or 5 one huge sow but couldn't get a clear shot . They were in some thick stuff can't wait for a couple freezes to kill some of the undergrowth and ticks! Did find 3 ticks on me yest so watch out guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X