No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, any traditional stick shooters who have dropped a hog out at Granger, what would you say is the minimum FPS (or poundage, if you prefer) to put one on the ground?

I shoot lefty, and it's tough to find a left-handed bow with more than a 55 pound draw weight.

Comment

I shoot a Kodiak Magnum at 55#. It is plenty for hogs at a reasonable range. Just need a sharp broadhead. Good Luck out there.

Comment

Good work on the hog! Tough business this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by FlingingArrows View Post
          I shoot a Kodiak Magnum at 55#. It is plenty for hogs at a reasonable range. Just need a sharp broadhead. Good Luck out there.
          Good deal. Thanks.

Comment

Clean arrow flight, quiet bow and sharp broadheads are more important than fps. Fast handling bow that you can get on target quick and release are the key. I personnally like the mid 60's for bow weight, just because. I shot them better than lighter draw weight bows. Also always move with an arrow in your hand and ready. Don't like to have one on the string, but some do that. Shots do come quick.

Comment

Originally posted by plus1 View Post
              hopefully me and Viper3853 get one.
              Maybe you can fill your ape tag??

Comment

lol shes looking forward to next year, hopefully there will be some pig for dinner instead of all that catfish lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                  Clean arrow flight, quiet bow and sharp broadheads are more important than fps. Fast handling bow that you can get on target quick and release are the key. I personnally like the mid 60's for bow weight, just because. I shot them better than lighter draw weight bows. Also always move with an arrow in your hand and ready. Don't like to have one on the string, but some do that. Shots do come quick.
                  You mention a "quiet bow," which is something that I've always wondered about. Does the sound of the string really make that much of a difference for a target 20-30 yards away? The string is never going to be completely silent, so I never quite understood how making it slightly quieter would help. Would love to hear the opinion of someone with more hands on experience though.
                  Last edited by SnakeBootsRGood; 08-26-2011, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeBootsRGood View Post
                    You mention a "quiet bow," which is something that I've always wondered about. Does the sound of the string really make that much of a difference for a target 20-30 yards away? The string is never going to be completely silent, so I never quite understood how making it slightly quieter would help. Would love to hear the opinion of someone with more hands on experience though.
                    Ever been startled by something? Your first reaction is to jerk or dodge. The louder the noise usally the bigger the reaction. The more reaction the more your arrow hits a different spot than what you aimed. Think about it. The sound of a twig breaking under your boot is often enough to get the attention of a critter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Ever been startled by something? Your first reaction is to jerk or dodge. The louder the noise usally the bigger the reaction. The more reaction the more your arrow hits a different spot than what you aimed. Think about it. The sound of a twig breaking under your boot is often enough to get the attention of a critter.

Sure, I get that. I guess I've just never heard a bow that I considered quiet enough not to induce a jerk. I've always aimed with that intial drop down reaction in mind.

Any recommendations on products that can make a bowstring as quiet as you're suggesting?

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeBootsRGood View Post
                        Sure, I get that. I guess I've just never heard a bow that I considered quiet enough not to induce a jerk. I've always aimed with that intial drop down reaction in mind.

Any recommendations on products that can make a bowstring as quiet as you're suggesting?
                        You've not shoot longbow or recurve then. My bow makes a dull "thump" that you can't hear more than 10 feet away. Most hogs don't duck they just move out. The longer the distance to target the greater the variance in arrow hit. Under 20 yards and the arrow gets there pretty quick, not fast enough to get a precise hit, but close. There are many products out there that claim to reduce string noise, which is really vibration. You could spend a lot of coin buying and trying them all. Best to check out fellow bowhunters self ups and what works. I use fur silencers on my longbow; Kivit, muskrat, otter, beaver, coyote. One time I have found it the lighter weight the silencer the less effect on arrow speed. Kivit(musk ox) and coyote have been the best for me. What Dirty Mike said is pretty close. I have been to 3-D shoots and the compounds that dudes us to hunt have scared the $h!t out of me when they shoot, they are that loud. Unless it is a centerfire it needs to be a quiet as possible.

Comment

Was thinking about heading out Labor Day weekend and just realized it was opening weekend of dove season. I don't really do any bird hunting so I had forgotten about it. Wondering if I should just stay away or not and wait a little longer...

Comment

i wanted to head out sometime soon as well

Comment

Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Neano View Post
                                Was thinking about heading out Labor Day weekend and just realized it was opening weekend of dove season. I don't really do any bird hunting so I had forgotten about it. Wondering if I should just stay away or not and wait a little longer...
                                Hell why not head out. I have seen more hogs on days I have seen more hunters. Seems you get enough going on out there and everyone scares up the hogs and they are running all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X