No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake boots are a cheap investment in peace of mind.

Comment

Hello everyone,
      I have been searching for forums with information about hunting hogs at Granger lake, and this thread is by far the best on the web. I want to say hello to everyone, and ask for any advice about hunting hog in the Granger area.

I am a true novice, and have yet to buy a bow, I am looking at crossbows...i know i know, yall will think less of me , but looking to get as much information as I can. I know all the laws and simple stuff. More like where is the best place to stalk. I like to stalk personally. I have all my gear, other than bow, and have gone out to Public hunting areas before, but never with a bow.

Snake Guards seems like a good investment to me, that I will also be getting. A little about me, I am going to eat the hogs I kill, yet truly hate the ecological damage they have done. I am currently going to school to be a wildlife biologist. Part of my degree is invasive species removal for habitat restoration.

Comment

I notice lots of people come here for advice including myself. I have hunted at Granger sometimes 7 days a week. The best and only advice that will matter is simple. Dont let your wife wash your camo in snuggle and if you want a hog you have to walk multiple miles. There are a few that make there way closer but everyone hunts them and in some places lots of fisherman walk right by them also.

and just fyi bicyles dont work well out there either. Hand to cary your bow and gear and ride a bicycle uphill both ways. Also cant hunt in the deep woods at sundown because it is long walk out. Hunting at Granger is a crap shoot at best for us with bows. Yet there is suposedly too many hogs.

Good Luck

Comment

didnt get to go out today, will be at pecan tomorrow morning.

Comment

Put in the miles, keep the wind in your face, keep yourelf as clean as possible, shoot straight and fast. If you want the meat go with a cooler of ice in your truck as a minium. Hunt ever nook and cranny. Hunt hard, skin fast and go, go, go.

Comment

Thank you guys for the tips. Will the meat really go rancid that quickly out in this heat?

Comment

went out this morning, heard them, saw them in the reeds, coudnt get them to come out. Im done with Granger till the winter!!!!

Comment

I know that this is probably repetitive but I’m new to public hunting lands. I know you have to have a type 2 permit but where do u get it? And do you have to tell someone that your going out there to hunt is do you come and go as you please?
                  Thanks, Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mTn hunting View Post
                    I know that this is probably repetitive but I’m new to public hunting lands. I know you have to have a type 2 permit but where do u get it? And do you have to tell someone that your going out there to hunt is do you come and go as you please?
                    Thanks, Matt
                    I got my permit online at TPWD, but you do not have to tell anyone your going out there unless you want your girl to know.

Comment

K thanks CrazyMatt

Comment

Looking it up and I can’t find it? What about hog hunting during the archery deer season? Because its postcard? What’s the postcard? (is that a draw?)
                        Thanks, Matt

Comment

you can get the permit anywhere you get your license(walmart, academy). its called Annual Public Hunting Permit, its $48.00. it is a annual permit so its 9/1-8/31, so i would wait to buy it until the first of Sep. unless you dont care about paying the amount. they will "close" Granger to the public when they do the postcard/drawn hunts. they will have closure dates on TPWD, not arent out yet.

Comment

TPWD Hunt dates

Nov 14-18th
                            Nov 28- Dec 2nd
                            Dec 12-16th
                            Jan 2-6th

Comment

Thanks guys!!!

Comment

You do have to have your hunting license as well as the public land permit ^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X