"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
    get a real bow x bows are for girls. haah just kidding.
    Baby steps Dirtymike. I've been a rifle guy all my life. If the x bow works out I'll man up and get a real bow.

Genevieve - thanks for the well wishes and glad to be here

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
      Crod, i saved your number. Might be able to make it out today. If not well I will send you a txt when i can and maybe the timing will be right. Bigmike, pointers, wear comfy shoes and pack light. You have to cover a lot of ground. But that is what makes it fun. Oh and get a real bow x bows are for girls. haah just kidding.
      Dirty, were you in Leander in the last week at the HEB with your daughter?

Comment

Did anybody shoot about a 65lb sow on the Comanche tail side within the past 24 hours, more like 12. Whoever it was shot it with a 3 blade broad head, must have shot it at a hard angle hit it tight on the entrance and came out far back on the exit. Well whoever it was you killed it, it was indeed fresh!!

Comment

That bites about the heli shoot I have a few days off next week and I was gona spend a few days out thete. Are you allowed to hunt out there during it and do Yall think it would be worth going? I had just found a decent sized group of hogs too. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by huntnfishtex View Post
            That bites about the heli shoot I have a few days off next week and I was gona spend a few days out thete. Are you allowed to hunt out there during it and do Yall think it would be worth going? I had just found a decent sized group of hogs too. Thanks
            They close it off. Youll start seeing signs everywhere in a few dasy telling the dates and that the units are closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
              Did anybody shoot about a 65lb sow on the Comanche tail side within the past 24 hours, more like 12. Whoever it was shot it with a 3 blade broad head, must have shot it at a hard angle hit it tight on the entrance and came out far back on the exit. Well whoever it was you killed it, it was indeed fresh!!
              I shot 2 sunday evening and never found them. But they would not be fresh now!
              The signs I read said they will start the heli shoot the 31st but you can still hunt at your own risk.
              Just got back from 6 a couple of hours ago.

Comment

Heading out to #6 sunday morning and will be there all day!

Comment

Snow Geese at Granger WMA???

Going out SOMEWHERE tomorrow..want to give the Conservation Order light goose hunt a try, but I also want to try for a hog before the Helishootin' begins...thinking IF there are snow geese hanging around the Granger WMA I could hunt the early AM for the geese with my shotgun and then by late AM/mid day put it up, grab my bow and hunt hogs the rest of the day...what do you guys think? I haven't been out there at all yet this time of year, so I have no idea of the goose pop if any in the area using the WMA. I could use some feedback to help me make up my adled mind on where to go! Any snow geese sighted out there and if so what areas of the WMA? The Conservation hunt only lasts until the last week of March, but the pig helishoot is upon us what to do - what to do? Help me out here guys...or should I go somwhere else for geese, and forget hogs, or go for hogs at granger and forget geese...hmmm...

Comment

i havnt seen any geese,lots of crains though

Comment

I have not seen any geese out there.

Comment

Arrows

I have a story, started Friday when i decided it would be a good idea to carry tree stands down to put up. I started on a kids bike with my bow on my back and my girlfriend strapped one of the stands to her back. It was a long ride and the handle bars were loose and so was the seat. Not to mention the bike was really small like for a 6 year old. After finally making it down to were i wanted to try the stands the next morning so we had to turn back around and ride back. So I left my bow with my buddy that came with us (He carried 5 gallon bucket of corn on his little bike also) we headed back to gate 8 and picked up another tree stand, and this time i strapped it to my back and then we ratchet strapped 2 sections of ladder to her handle bars. After finally making all the way down there again we still had to put them up. Real tired already by now we went home and returned by sunrise saturday morning. Sat in the stands didnt see much so we (girlfriend and I) decided to scout out the whole place. We climbed through bushes for hours (finding only miller lite cans everywere and some one that leaves tons of trash) and ended up coming out by the overlook side of the spillway. After thinking there is no way im walking back around, her and I went straight through the swamp. Finally made it to the other side and was real tired by then. So we decided we needed better rubber boots than what we had, and some bicycles. We went to the wal-mart in Taylor and got some nice mountain bikes for $49 each. The bikes were worth every penny. So were really tired by now, but we decided to try to get a hog at sundown, so we parked at the overlook and walked down this time. It hadnt been 15 good minutes and i spot the Gamewarden with his binoculars up on the road, but he finally left after being there for 20 + minutes. So by now it almost no light left so I go back in that swamp and scatter some hogs. I shot one and it ****** them all off, but not as much as me cause it ran off with my arrow. So now im in the swamp surrounded by hogs, another small one walks out and i take the shot goes right through breaks my tip and that one runs off also. So there and 2 hogs running around hurting, but was dark by now. So we leave and i get up this morning and wanted to go look for them and maybe my arrow i didnt recover, but i hurt so bad from the countless trips down and back. It feels like its up hill both ways. Ill be there this afternoon i hope.

Comment

Anybody have any luck out there this weekend? So it sounds like you can hunt during the heli shoot but I just dont know if it would be worth it. If I do go I will be covered in hunter orange from head to toe!

Comment

we chased some out of the blood weeds at 6 this morning but no one got a shot off

Comment

Thanks for the input on the geese txbowhunter31 & paintman, I surely do appreciate it...guess I'll have to try to head South for honkers and stick to the hogs at Granger. Scouted some around the coast today and found a place where it's legal to hunt hogs with buckshot while hunting geese at the same time (but you can't shot gesse past 12 noon, so it's a true AM goose/PM hog hunt...but that will have to wait as I have Granger on my mind for the moment to see about that fence and the helishootin'

Comment

So, how long does this heli-shoot go on? I was going to go out there starting this next week. Thanks in advance for any info!

Comment

Working...
                                X