No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think i am going to head out there for the day aswell. just not sure which section. thinking the regular san gabriel unit

Comment

I am new to hunting hogs, and public hunting. Was thinking about a lease, but it don't look like that is gonna happen. I haven't read everything in this thread, but I have read alot. Think when I get home, I am gonna try hunting here. I seen that baiting is allowed, what I was wondering is, would putting out a couple hog pipes, be worth it? Or would they come up missing a day after I put them out?

Comment

They prolly wont get stolen but the coons hit them really hard, the problems I have seem to have with them is the pigs dont really come to them during daylight hours they come at night and you are not supposed to hunt at night.

Comment

What about game cams? I seen some pics earlier in the thread. good idea or bad?

Maybe I could get with some of you when I get home, and see if we can't get on some hogs.

Comment

I have had one out in the past and it never walked off but it has always made me nervous, I do a lot of walking and just plain go look for them I have also hunted bait but I have always done better stalking them they are smart about what times they eat corn.

Comment

The easier it is to get to a spot the more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                i think i am going to head out there for the day aswell. just not sure which section. thinking the regular san gabriel unit
                Good luck out there. Saw pigs Friday at the end of the pensulla at # 6 in the real thick stuff.saw one running the ridge at primitive and my son saw bout 10 near the duck pond yesterday evening

Comment

Can't wait till I can get out there

Comment

good luck

Comment

I was also wondering about deer hunting at granger. How does the draw work.

Comment

Can someone please tell me where to get a permit and how much its going to cost. I need to go get one pretty soon.

Comment

academy(or anywhere else lic are sold), 48 bucks..

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                            academy(or anywhere else lic are sold), 48 bucks..
                            @ Genevieve, Ditto What Dirty Mike said, just got mine yesterday at Bass Pro Shops in S.A. in anticipation of heading back into Granger within the next few weeks.

QUESTION (for anyone): One thing I was confused over was what else re "endorsements" was required to hunt pigs there other then the $48 APH Permit. I figured for sure a hunting license would be required and would need one anyway for other stuff so I snagged one, and also an Archery Endorsement. That was my question to the clerk which she couldn't tell me for sure - the Archery Endorsement is specifically stated in the regs as being requied for Archery season hunting of deer and wild turkey. I have read/heard before it wasn't required to hunt feral hogs, but was kinda skeptical whther or not I'd be protected if a ranger/warden checked me out with a hog in possession, so I got one ($7) just to be safe, and to promote bowhunters/bowhunting just for GP. But I have others I have sparked an interest in wanting to give archery pighunting aa try at Granger who are on a much tighter budget especially having the costs of starting out afresh eqipping themselves with all the archery gear, and if it's not required they would prefer to save their seven bucks. I'm okay re the bowhnter ed due to being ancient , but my young friends don't have that "advantage", so would they need to have the bowhunter's ed thing under their belts first before hunting pigs at Granger? Anybody know about these things? Just as it pertains to hogs and/or Granger...

@ 05 Grey Ghost thanks for the well wishes - I also wish I had known about this "Technu" back in august when I got my last pig out there along with a dose of Poison Ivy...I suffered through it for over a month on my hands and forearms using Calamine which wasn't much good ( I low crawled through some of the crap creeping up on a pig before I realized I was in it!). I wasn't even aware you could get shots for it...guess I'm from back in the dark ages for sure, lol...

@ Paintman - Would that "Duck Pond" you referred to be in that area South of the River around Primitive/Comanche Bluffs? That's my not-so-secret spot buddy grrrrrr....lol, j/k...if so, leave a couple porkchops for me okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
                              @ Genevieve, Ditto What Dirty Mike said, just got mine yesterday at Bass Pro Shops in S.A. in anticipation of heading back into Granger within the next few weeks.

QUESTION (for anyone): One thing I was confused over was what else re "endorsements" was required to hunt pigs there other then the $48 APH Permit. I figured for sure a hunting license would be required and would need one anyway for other stuff so I snagged one, and also an Archery Endorsement. That was my question to the clerk which she couldn't tell me for sure - the Archery Endorsement is specifically stated in the regs as being requied for Archery season hunting of deer and wild turkey. I have read/heard before it wasn't required to hunt feral hogs, but was kinda skeptical whther or not I'd be protected if a ranger/warden checked me out with a hog in possession, so I got one ($7) just to be safe, and to promote bowhunters/bowhunting just for GP. But I have others I have sparked an interest in wanting to give archery pighunting aa try at Granger who are on a much tighter budget especially having the costs of starting out afresh eqipping themselves with all the archery gear, and if it's not required they would prefer to save their seven bucks. I'm okay re the bowhnter ed due to being ancient , but my young friends don't have that "advantage", so would they need to have the bowhunter's ed thing under their belts first before hunting pigs at Granger? Anybody know about these things? Just as it pertains to hogs and/or Granger...sorry but your secret spot has been out for at least the 4 years I've been doing the grxh.

@ 05 Grey Ghost thanks for the well wishes - I also wish I had known about this "Technu" back in august when I got my last pig out there along with a dose of Poison Ivy...I suffered through it for over a month on my hands and forearms using Calamine which wasn't much good ( I low crawled through some of the crap creeping up on a pig before I realized I was in it!). I wasn't even aware you could get shots for it...guess I'm from back in the dark ages for sure, lol...

@ Paintman - Would that "Duck Pond" you referred to be in that area South of the River around Primitive/Comanche Bluffs? That's my not-so-secret spot buddy grrrrrr....lol, j/k...if so, leave a couple porkchops for me okay?
                              sorry but your secret spot has been out every since I've been doing the grxh

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
                                sorry but your secret spot has been out every since I've been doing the grxh

lol...just dang all figgers...was over on the GRXH thread just now discovering that YOU along with everybody and their pooch not only knows about my "not-so-secret-spot" but freakin' camps there and has a rondezvous/party (sp?) there every dang year complete with tents/cots/boats/tunes/beer (any dancing girls?) ...why ME Lord? WHY ME???? some SECRET spot, eh

I better get my arse in there before the big weekend then

Comment

Working...
                                X