No announcement yet.

Arizona otc mule deer hunt in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. The plan is to head off to 27 January 3-12ish and see what happens. Got my onx ready should be a fun trip.

Comment

So did anyone have any success? I was not able to make it out in December due to family emergency so I’ll have to wait to this December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We got there to see snow in the Santa Rita range. There was water on most roads. We located coues the first day and then javelina. I couldn't keep up with the javelina and we weren't able to relocate them. If we had been rifle hunting we would have tagged out. Saw a decent mulie one morning he was a wide and tall 3 but not too thick.

We're going back next year but will put in for a different unit for javelina. Great country nice people.

Comment

Originally posted by birddogem301 View Post
          So did anyone have any success? I was not able to make it out in December due to family emergency so I’ll have to wait to this December.

Where would you go in December if you wanted to hunt the mule deer rut? I was looking at Units 8, 9, & 10.

Comment

bump

Comment

I hunt Jan archery NM almost every year, glass and cover country. It’s the rut. Find the does find the bucks.

Just because a group of does has a little buck with them one day doesn’t mean that will not change the next day. Big bucks move in between doe groups a lot.

Comment

Well it’s that time of year again. Making plans for 12/5-12/13. Need to build a half dozen good arrows and I’ll be set.

Comment

We're going down again Dec 29 to Jan 4. Quail and such before the Jan javi and coues hunts. May go down earlier and stay over Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                    We're going down again Dec 29 to Jan 4. Quail and such before the Jan javi and coues hunts. May go down earlier and stay over Christmas.

Hey I wish you guys luck and be safe!!

Comment

Same to you. It's been very very dry this year. Find water.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                        Same to you. It's been very very dry this year. Find water.

Comment

Comment

Will be doing plenty of glassing for sure!! Pics of my last AZ trip.

Comment

Building my hunting arrows.

Comment

I've hunted AZ OTC twice, once in January, and this past year in early season in August.

Once the season opener day passes, hunting pressure isn't so bad. But I will say if you can get out before the season starts and pattern some deer it can be helpful.

Having a spotting scope really helps, hard for me to tell with my 10x binos if its a buck or doe or not, they save a lot of walking. Spot and stalk worked great, but a decoy can be handy. I would say a pair of mocasins or stalking shoes of some kind would be awesome. I did many stalks with extra socks and picked cactus out of my foot for a month.
                                Last edited by dannorocks; 12-05-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X