X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 hunters and 1 hawg ?

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
      Slim, the roads are bad. Too deep for a car. The first road in had a couple spots where you will not make it passed due to water depth alone

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Well that’s not what I wanted to hear. I guess my plan is gonna be to get there before the gate opens and try to hitch a ride in to my spot. Not sure how I’ll get my stand out when I’m done though! I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
        Had my second encounter with a crossbow hunters on the refuge. First one 2yrs ago warned that with his scoped crossbow he could still see shoot hogs before and after legal shooting time and that I'd better be careful. The one last sunday at 1:00pm said he'd been scouting all morning and couldn't find a good spot. And "that tree over there looks like a good spot, I see the flagging but there's nobody park here right now...." off he went. Had his crossbow strapped to his back cocked and locked with a hunting arrow. FUBAR

Don’t know whether to laugh or cry [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slim79x View Post
          Well that’s not what I wanted to hear. I guess my plan is gonna be to get there before the gate opens and try to hitch a ride in to my spot. Not sure how I’ll get my stand out when I’m done though! I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.
          The water has covered the roads in a few spots that would possibly jeopardize your vehicle, but they are draining. I will be able to help you in and out from headquarters.

Comment

Watched a crossbow hunter walk up and down the road from my blind puffing on an e cig Saturday evening around 6pm.

Knew then I didn't have a chance!

Comment

Just got a report from today's hunting, 48 hunters killed three deer, 1 doe, a spike, and a six point. Rained really heavy Sunday evening/night.

Hunters were told there's a Real possibility they're going to close the hunt because there's a couple of washed out holes on the boundary rd. Refuge is saying they can not repair the holes during the hunt because the road repairs have already been scheduled for next week, ?????, not sure if this is how its supposed to work. You know with the refuge's rd system and 30" of rain before the hunt, why wasn't provision in place to patch a couple of holes that wash out in their roads?

Comment

Originally posted by FNG View Post
                Yeah I was kind of worried in my 2wd truck
                I think a 2wd will make it on the main road. Water clearance for cars is sketchy. If you get stuck, you do better to have a tow strap handy for a fellow hunter to pull you out

The kill board lists roads that hunters have been stuck on. Avoid those roads.

Comment

Hunters were told there's a Real possibility they're going to close the hunt because there's a couple of washed out holes on the boundary rd. Refuge is saying they can not repair the holes during the hunt because the road repairs have already been scheduled for next week, ?????, not sure if this is how its supposed to work. You know with the refuge's rd system and 30" of rain before the hunt, why wasn't provision in place to patch a couple of holes that wash out in their roads?
                  I'd be surprised if the Refuge has much to do with road conditions. They are a wildlife refuge. They don't care 'bout no stinking roads. The Feds aren't the only player. Somebody else owns the mineral rights. The roads and repairs would be by the oil company for their access.

Comment

Originally posted by returning egret View Post
                    I'd be surprised if the Refuge has much to do with road conditions. They are a wildlife refuge. They don't care 'bout no stinking roads. The Feds aren't the only player. Somebody else owns the mineral rights. The roads and repairs would be by the oil company for their access.

I would think the Back entrance the oil companies would be responsible for. I doubt the main entrance has anything to do with them. I haven't read the contract so just speculation on my part. How are the roads today trying to get out there today till Friday dont wanna waste my time

Comment

Originally posted by returning egret View Post
                      True for Middle RD and others the oil company uses. But Boundary Rd, and others, are not used or maintained by the oil co. If I remember right the US Govt owns the mineral rights and has them leased out.

Comment

True for Middle RD and others the oil company uses. But Boundary Rd, and others, are not used or maintained by the oil co. If I remember right the US Govt owns the mineral rights and has them leased out.
                        Ah, that makes sense. Could be why they scheduled the road maintenance for next week. Repair the damage from all the hunt traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG View Post
                          ... How are the roads today trying to get out there today till Friday dont wanna waste my time
                          Yeah, I'm a coin toss away from making that decision myself. The stars just haven't aligned on this hunt from the start, and now it's halfway over. From what we're hearing we'd probably pay $130 not to deal with the frustration. Was hoping to at least get some time in to be better ready for the gun hunt I drew, but conditions, hopefully, will be different then. Think I'll go back to the lease and hunt instead of sitting at home wondering about Aransas.

Comment

The water has covered the roads in a few spots that would possibly jeopardize your vehicle, but they are draining. I will be able to help you in and out from headquarters.

Yeah there’s no way my car was getting through those holes. I parked at the gate this morning and hitched a ride into my stand. Worst comes to worst I’ve got a couple of miles to hike back out. Wouldn’t be sad if I had some meat on my back!

Comment

Just an update: This place sucks.

Comment

Just an update: This place sucks.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I think I’ll go fishing this weekend instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X