No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice to see some Nilgai coming in, those a some nice bulls! I will be there the first weekend in February for the last exotic only hunt, save some for me!

Comment

Last hunt Feb. 1-3 as well

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
        Talked to him this evening at check station, good for him.
        He was one of the few trucks I saw in the same spot/ in the woods the whole time! Glad it worked out for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Is that a Savage hog hunter model rifle in the pic?

Comment

Headed down early in the morning for orientation. Ready to kick this hunt off with the cooler weather

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
            Headed down early in the morning for orientation. Ready to kick this hunt off with the cooler weather

Keep us posted on your hunt good luck

Comment

Wife and I won’t make it in until Friday morning.

Comment

Had orientation and scouting day today. Spent some time working through brush and saw tons of sign, but nowhere to really set up to rifle hunt. Left that area and found another that was more open and huntable. The rain yesterday/early this am really helped show fresh tracks. Ended uo finding some sign in an area with some good visibility. Not as much as in the brush but you gotta hunt where you can. Saw one cow later in the afternoon, far away. Tomorrow is go-time. Tonight....sleep. Left SA at 2:30 am. Put in about 3.5 foot miles scouting today. We’ll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                  Had orientation and scouting day today. Spent some time working through brush and saw tons of sign, but nowhere to really set up to rifle hunt. Left that area and found another that was more open and huntable. The rain yesterday/early this am really helped show fresh tracks. Ended uo finding some sign in an area with some good visibility. Not as much as in the brush but you gotta hunt where you can. Saw one cow later in the afternoon, far away. Tomorrow is go-time. Tonight....sleep. Left SA at 2:30 am. Put in about 3.5 foot miles scouting today. We’ll see how it goes.
                  What unit you hunting?

Comment

Good luck! Let’s see some pics

Comment

Seen a group of hogs so far.

Comment

How was day 1?

Comment

Wife and I made the board with 7 hogs

Comment

Today was a grind of a day, but had a few good encounters. Packed my lunch and stayed out and hunted the whole day. Got in at first light and set up where I could see about 150 yards. Stayed there about an hour and a half and did some intermittent rattling. Didn’t have any response to that. About 8:30 I had a doe and a couple dink bucks come out. I elected to pass and hold off for something bigger. They worked off, and I moved a couple hundred yards and repeated the same thing. Sat there about an hour and a half and got up to make another move. Looked back to where I was earlier and there was a young nilgai bull on the road. He saw me about the same time and took off. Went to an area I could see a ton of country and spent the whole rest of the day. I let my Binos do the walking. Ended up getting skunked the rest of the day.

One guy touched off a few times right after shooting time. He ended up with a bull and small cow. When I got out tonight his 2 nilgai, a doe, and 2-10 pointers were on the board. I didn’t see them so don’t know how big. The lady doing the tick inspection said there were 2 other nilgai down but hadn’t come in yet. There were a few others after me so there were probably more kills for the board. Talked to a couple guys and most said same thing...deer sightings early and slow afternoons. Having issue posting pics but most kills still coming from 8 like the other hunts.

Comment

Good report, Adam, good luck tomorrow.

Comment

Well the morning started out kinda slow because of the long trek in and not knowing where to set up. But the wife and I finally reached a stopping point in unit 2 by that time it was 8:15. I decided to walk more into a clearing to glass a bit more when I spot a lonely cow feeding. I call the wife over abc we both get on the shooting sticks. I ranged her at 283 and knew she was out of my wife’s range so decided to take the shot. I let my 300 RUM bark and that 225 ELD match bullet went right where I was aiming. She ran 20 yards and piled up. Now the work began. I field dressed her and we finally get to dragging her back to the road when I look out and about 3/4 mile out I see another cow and calf feeding. I told the wife that’s way out of my shooting capabilities. So we proceeded to drag and finally reached the road. We go sit down to take a break when I look over and see that cow running. I grab my binoculars to see which way they are headed and sure enough as luck would have it straight to us. I looked at the wife and she looked at me and I said I’m gonna try it. I grabbed the rangefinder and got on my gun. She ran towards a couple lonely mesquites so I ranged those at 595. I then doped my gun for 585 and was hoping she would stop close to it. She did as planned. I once again touched off and she buckled and ran 10 yards. Now at that point there was a decision to make because I knew wouldn’t haul both those animals out whole so I started quartering them out and put them on the cart and out we came.

Comment

Working...
                                X