No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was down there a couple weeks ago. One cool wet day I figured the snakes would be hunkered down and not a problem, so I went walking thru some waist high bushes. Take a few steps, glass around, and repeat. All went well for about 30 minutes, suddenly I heard something big breaking brush about 20 yds behind me. Turned and readied my bow. Wait, my old ears say, it's closer than that, maybe it's that rattlesnake in the bush about 2 yds away, my old eyes said. Yeah, that bush I had just walked past!

Seems rattlesnakes are smarter than I about cool wet days. They don't hunker down. They get up in the brushes off the wet ground. I could see about 18" of it and it was still getting bigger diameter. Diameter enough to break brush. Thought about getting a picture, but realized that it was moving my direction about 6" a second. That would put him on me in about, let's crank up the mainframe, TOO DURN Fast. No time for a selfie!

Him up in the bushes put his head at knee level. Well above my snake boots. Figured that I'd best better get back to the low grass on the road. Only it's 300 yds away. Amazing that you can hold your breath for 300yds. We both survived to hunt another day. Merry Christmas to all, even the buzz worms.

Comment

We saw this dude on our last trip out of the refuge [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone going out there this week?

I'll be out there for the Jan 4-6 hunt. Hoping for some colder weather to keep the snakes and ticks/chiggers/mosquitos at bay!

Also, if anyone would be inclined to discuss some spots that I had marked on the map, I'd be much appreciative of any advice from those that have been there recently. I've hunted Teniente with a bow the last couple years and can share my experience there, but this will be my first time at LA.

Shoot me a PM if you're open to talk.

Comment

Done scouting! Ready for tomorrow morning. Hopes are high.
          I’ll keep everyone posted

Comment

I’ll be out there with my wife Jan 4-6. Haven’t hunted laguna a while though but my scout has been scouting for me so I think we’ll be ok

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
              Done scouting! Ready for tomorrow morning. Hopes are high.
              I’ll keep everyone posted
              Good luck out here, break a leg

Comment

Are the gun hunt orientations am's the day before the hunt or 3:00 pm?

Comment

The day before your hunt at 9am. Hunter check station
                  At the refuge

Comment

Originally posted by Stx86 View Post

Thank ya sir

Comment

Originally posted by Stx86 View Post
                      I fell in a gopher hole out there and almost did just that.. lol

Comment

Comment

That’s the board as of this morning. My buddy sent me the photo after he put his name on the board.

Comment

Slow start, any pics of his buck?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Same when I left at 530. Did see a cow being brought in

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X