No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liners, slime tires. Still daily flats on horse island. One day front and back flat. There is more thorny bushes on edge of road. When they bush hog road, sling thorns everywhere. I tried to ride only on dirt, still got flats. It rained, misted and it gummed my bike up, had to go car wash and spray mud out of gears, shifter parts.

Comment

Is there a group coming in for this weekend? 11/23-11/26? I've got the 11/30 hunt and unless I missed it I was hoping there would be some quiet time between the hunts to allow them to get back to those patterns they usually run.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
        It was with a rifle so, so advantage me on that one. But two of the five I was well within 35 yards of them. I bumped a heard, and shot my last two, right next to Ryan Falls blind (big Pontoon boat with a blind on it on the North side of Parker Lake) while they were hunting in it. I would post pictures but it seems that my noobie status doesn’t allow me.
        Wow that sounds like a expert level hunting and I hope you bought a lottery ticket after that.... Can you text me pictures and also I would really appreciate some tips on location you were so lucky....3615626329..... Thanks for your time

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
          Liners, slime tires. Still daily flats on horse island. One day front and back flat. There is more thorny bushes on edge of road. When they bush hog road, sling thorns everywhere. I tried to ride only on dirt, still got flats. It rained, misted and it gummed my bike up, had to go car wash and spray mud out of gears, shifter parts.

Now see this is why I'm considering not using a bike. How much time is lost maintaining tires vs hoofing around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stx86 View Post
            Wow that sounds like a expert level hunting and I hope you bought a lottery ticket after that.... Can you text me pictures and also I would really appreciate some tips on location you were so lucky....3615626329..... Thanks for your time
            Sent

Comment

Originally posted by txhushlife View Post
              Is there a group coming in for this weekend? 11/23-11/26? I've got the 11/30 hunt and unless I missed it I was hoping there would be some quiet time between the hunts to allow them to get back to those patterns they usually run.

The 30th is the next hunt

Comment

I got a flat the first day, had it patched in 10 min. You’ll cover way more ground on a bike

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                  It was with a rifle so, so advantage me on that one. But two of the five I was well within 35 yards of them. I bumped a heard, and shot my last two, right next to Ryan Falls blind (big Pontoon boat with a blind on it on the North side of Parker Lake) while they were hunting in it. I would post pictures but it seems that my noobie status doesn’t allow me.

Were you the guy with the 4wheeler, that’s an added advantage. We used your sawzall on ours at the cleaning rack. Definitely the way to go. Thanks again and Good meeting you.

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
                    Now see this is why I'm considering not using a bike. How much time is lost maintaining tires vs hoofing around?

Man I’ve been there a few times, started off with bikes in the early days and man it was great on those days when it was high and dry. Pretty quickly came to the conclusion that I was better off without them because of issues people mentioned being the case half the time or more. Not bringing a bike helped me avoid the frustrations. I can hoof it a couple miles in in about 45 minutes if I take the right (mostly straight) paths and be just as far as 3-5 mile bike ride zigzagging the roads. Don’t get me wrong, if you are walking through muddy slop, it is miserable too.

That being said, every year I debate it and even went to look at bikes at Walmart yesterday lol. I also have to add that there are a couple roads of rock and pavement or both that are never affected by the weather if you choose to limit yourself to that area.

Comment

[QUOTE=TXOUTLAW;13801625]Were you the guy with the 4wheeler, that’s an added advantage. We used your sawzall on ours at the cleaning rack. Definitely the way to go. Thanks again and Good meeting you.

Yes, that was me and I remember that 1st evening. That was my buddies sawzall and it was almost as helpful as the 4 wheeler. Bringing 3 nilgai out of the refuge when your truck is several miles away is a killer. That said, I hit my wall the next morning around 9:30 after bringing the next round of nilgai out.

Comment

Tiburon 1, if you don't mind texting me I have a couple questions for you. 3613328247

Comment

I don't know if they still make them, but when I hunted the refuge years ago I bought solid inner tubes for my bike. They were made of foam/rubber. You can ride over cactus and never get a flat. They are a little heavier but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                            Just bought a house and don’t have money or time to outfit a bike for Laguna. I’m pretty used to some hard hiking so I won’t have an issue getting away from others. So you’re saying no cover just a chair?

Buy the bike used on facebook market place. Bought mine for $40. Works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a sow a couple of days ago. Missed two hogs and a cow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                                I don't know if they still make them, but when I hunted the refuge years ago I bought solid inner tubes for my bike. They were made of foam/rubber. You can ride over cactus and never get a flat. They are a little heavier but worth it.

I thought about those as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X