No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry jen man. I slept in. Be heading out shortly. With all this human activity, animals bugged out. I think tomorrow and Tuesday will be better when there's less hunters. 250 permits is crazy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
      Sorry jen man. I slept in. Be heading out shortly. With all this human activity, animals bugged out. I think tomorrow and Tuesday will be better when there's less hunters. 250 permits is crazy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Good move. I’m just thinking the people who are out will probably stay out all day. Hope someone comes along to help onto pavement. Not to bad just slippery and everytime I try to move it gets worse. We’ll see. Good luck today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Game warden may pull you if not stuck bad. I’m prob out all day. If no one gets you out by dark, or rain from hell comes in, I’ll pull you out.

Comment

Thanks Jason. No rain as of now. Maybe animals will start moving.

Comment

Check your pm, sent you my number

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
              Thanks Jason. No rain as of now. Maybe animals will start moving.

Fixing to walk out. I can help you if you have a tow strap. Gonna be about 30 minutest or so before I get there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, I’m out!

Comment

Thanks to RGV and Jason for offering to help. It’s hat we do. 3 of us parked in same spot. 2 stuck, almost the third. Thanks to JJ and Mike we all got out. Fun times!

Comment

Sounds like things are getting hectic out there! so after seeing everyone discussing the water situation would I can only assume to bring the rubber boots for the 11/30 hunt?

Comment

I am available as well if anyone else gets stuck. I have a tow strap.

Comment

Got out here at 9 right after the rain, headed to a new area. No other vehicles at the gate! Guess the rain scared everyone. Making my way in to an area after biking a ways back and I push a group of pigs. No shot. I keep moving very slowly through the thick grass and once again find more pigs about 40 yards up. I stop and look around. To my left I see brown through the trees and brush. Sure enough a group of cows bedded down 60 yards in! They must have thought I was a pig. I kneel down and drop my pack and devise a game plan. I sit for a good 15 min before I start belly crawling through grass towards them. I get to about 35 and stay put as I am in a good spot if they step out. One stands broadside but of course has brush and mesquite limbs all in front. No way I can squeeze a shot through. I give them another 10 min to move a bit before they finally aren't sure what I am and decide to move on. Dangit. I keep moving as well looking for a good spot to sit where I have a few shooting lanes. I kick up some whitetail on the way and a doe stops about 40 yards away. I draw back and let one fly, she ducks the arrow goes right over her back and off they go. She was closer to 35 once I measure. Find my arrow clean and off I go again. I am now sitting in a nice spot with thick area to one side and a 50y clearing to the other. Let's see what happens.
                        Last edited by TXFireFighter; 11-18-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I don’t think you’ll need rubber boots, it’s not that wet. At least not in areas I’m in. The low areas that were bone dry dirt last year, have water/mud.

Comment

Story of the cow day one...
                            We didnt arrive in time to scout so our plan was to head into an area I had previously hunted in 8. We get in and get setup, small chairs backed up into the brush. At sun up I hear from behind what is obviously a zipper from a popup being opened and closed. Well **** it's about 70y away. I slow get up and move another 100y away hoping not to disturb the area. I sit for a couple hours and I never really liked the area so I decide to get u and walk out. I text my brother letting him know. I make big circle around so I dont disturb the other hunter. I finally get back close to the area we started by the path we walk in. I hear something to my left and look to find a big cow up and running away. I guess i spooked her out of the grass. No shot. She goes running towards my brother. I text him that there is a cow headed his way! A few min later he texts back that he shot a cow! He didnt see my message until he texted me about the shot. He stayed put because he was listening to a buck grunt on the brush, hoping he would poke out. Here comes the cow from his left jogging up right to his spot. He readys the crossbow and stops her as she walks broadside in front of him at 25y. She trots up and he make a grunt, she stops and looks away from him, he nails her perfect through both lungs! I finally get back there and we laugh about the texts and the chances she would run right to him! We give her another 30 min and then start tracking. We have great lung blood right away. We are tracking in 3 ft high grass. We lose it for a bit then find it, lose it again then find again. We get to about 100 yards and find I big blood trail. My brother looks over to his left and sees something in the grass. He walks over and finds her! We were 10y away and couldn't see her! We high 5 and laugh in disbelief about the chances of that happening they way it did! Then the fun begins and we cart her out through the thick grass! First animal on the board!

Comment

Sat down under a small tree to stretch the legs and after 5 minutes I look down and I’m COVERED in seed ticks. Reapplying the permethrin tonight!

Comment

If y’all could name 5 pieces of gear that are a must have for this hunt, specifically bowhunting, what would they be? Looking for some good tips. I won’t be using a bike, and I plan on using a chair with some camo burlap to conceal myself. Any advice surrounding that would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X