No announcement yet.

2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to have to try out the draw system. I have never entered. By the time I start thinking about it the deadline has always passed.

Comment

Struck out across the board this year. Pretty frustrating when you can’t draw a hunt with 15 pp and first timers draw 2 or 3.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        Might as well go on the hunt you lose your points either way. We have almost 20 years of points for GDE and have never drawn, could be awhile before you draw again.
        I am thinking the same thing. Just one more thing to buy

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
          Nope, It was only 4 archery hunts and it was an epic season. Don't yall agree!?

135 5/8" 4.5yr old
          400lbs
          140" 5.5yr old
          156" 5.5yr oold

Where’d you draw last year? Those were some beautiful Whitetails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

I’m hooked on this Draw system. Win or lose I will continue to apply for Public land hunts
            I put in for 24 including Antlerless Permits. Drew Laguna Archery, Big Lake Bottom and Granger E-Postcard, and three Antlerless permits so far. Waiting on two more draws. I like those odds but doubtful it’ll happen again. Now if I can only have the season that Gbludau had. Holy smokes.

Comment

Put in for about 50 and drew the following (all with 2 or less loyalty points):

Aransas NWR General Deer (probably going to pass because of date conflicts)
              Pat Mayse Gun Deer Either Sex (11/10-11/12)
              Matagorda Isl Gun Deer Either Sex (11/12-11/14)
              Private Ranch Gun Deer Either Sex (11/15-11/17)

Gonna be a busy week with a lot of miles from 11/10-11/17!

Comment

Originally posted by trek8500xtr View Post
                Put in for about 50 and drew the following (all with 2 or less loyalty points):

Aransas NWR General Deer (probably going to pass because of date conflicts)
                Pat Mayse Gun Deer Either Sex (11/10-11/12)
                Matagorda Isl Gun Deer Either Sex (11/12-11/14)
                Private Ranch Gun Deer Either Sex (11/15-11/17)

Gonna be a busy week with a lot of miles from 11/10-11/17!
                Dang, I though I was lucky with the EPost Archery 2, Big Lake Bottom WMA and Daughtrey WMA. Drew a 2nd chance at Keecki but it conflicts with Daughtrey. Only put in for 20. Drew a circle and picked every hunt I would consider in a 4 hour drive except the Laguna, east Lake, Balcones rifle/muzzleloader Deer hunts.

Never ever selected for a Gun Hunt. Take Pics, Best of luck!
                Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-18-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post
                  That is impressive.
                  Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                  Not sure how I missed that last season but that's incredible. Congrats on an amazing season

I drew Laguna Atascosa for the 1/4-1/6 rifle hunt. Never been there but I'm excited for the challenge.
                  Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
                  Where’d you draw last year? Those were some beautiful Whitetails.

Y’all don’t pump his head anymore. That GBludau guy is something speacial alright

Comment

Bump

Comment

There should have been another 140class buck, another cow nilgai and a 700lb bull, but bad things happen when you fling arrows into limbs.

I'm going to give Aransas a run this year, then everyone will have a bead on it. Oh wait, nope I'm going off the radar.
                      Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                      Y’all don’t pump his head anymore. That GBludau guy is something speacial alright

Comment

Originally posted by backwoods View Post
                        Texas has too many people and too little public land.
                        Huntable public land is going to disappear as population increases. State Parks are over run with bikers and hikers.

I'd like to see a system where private land owners are incentivized to open their land at certain times of the year to the public for fishing, hunting, and trapping. I'd like to see a significant property tax incentive or abatements given to those who allow managed public access to their land. I think that if the state offered these incentives and indemnified the property owner for the risk associated with this, then we would way more opportunities to hunt.
                        Going to disappear? We just added 16,000 acres to Black Gap WMA. Give a look at joining BHA to help do your part in protecting and adding to public lands. Most people think that BHA only advocates for western states. The Texas chapter is not only working hard to help in Texas but is also the fastest growing chapter in the country. Give it a look.
                        Last edited by RShockley; 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                          My son drew the Yoakum Dunes mule deer hunt!!!!! It's supposed to be guided. One mule deer buck (managment) and one mule deer doe.

There was only one permit for the youth category for Yoakum dunes so I put him and my daughter in separately. He drew so I'm sure my daughter (his sister) will be happy for him but disappointed also.

Anyone know much about Yoakum Dunes and what we should expect? Good or bad about the hunt any advice is appreciated.
                          Replied to your PM.

Comment

Any information and tips on hunting Alazan Bayou WMA?

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                              Struck out across the board this year. Pretty frustrating when you can’t draw a hunt with 15 pp and first timers draw 2 or 3.
                              I'm convinced that the system is weighted toward 1st time applicants to hook them in and keep them applying. Every year you see 1st time applicants here and other hunting forums scoring 2, 3, or 4 hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                I'm convinced that the system is weighted toward 1st time applicants to hook them in and keep them applying. Every year you see 1st time applicants here and other hunting forums scoring 2, 3, or 4 hunts.

I'd agree with that assessment from my experience this year. Curious on how they balance Loyalty Points with that structure. Or if they weigh different permits differently. Not a good strategy for game management to keep experienced hunters out of the harvest.

Comment

Working...
                                X