2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
    Look forward to meeting you txoutdoorsman24. Look for me, old white man with grey beard with pretty large son tagging along. Say hi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
      Aren't you the guy that got selected 8 hunts and spent 600days scouting last year?
      hahahahhaahahahahahahahaha

Comment

My son drew the Yoakum Dunes mule deer hunt!!!!! It's supposed to be guided. One mule deer buck (managment) and one mule deer doe.

There was only one permit for the youth category for Yoakum dunes so I put him and my daughter in separately. He drew so I'm sure my daughter (his sister) will be happy for him but disappointed also.

Anyone know much about Yoakum Dunes and what we should expect? Good or bad about the hunt any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Honey Creek SNA - won gun hunt here!

Comment

Just paid for my permit for LAGUNA ATASCOSA rifle hunt ohhhh man im excited, i didnt get the archery one but this one just makes up for it.

Dusting off my Ruger 338 win mag and my bike... can not wait to get out there

Comment

Hey Danny,
              Are you the one with the buddy that both got a Nilgai Archery last year?

Hope yo do well on the gun hunt. I'm 2nd pending.
              Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyGarcia View Post
                Just paid for my permit for LAGUNA ATASCOSA rifle hunt ohhhh man im excited, i didnt get the archery one but this one just makes up for it.

Dusting off my Ruger 338 win mag and my bike... can not wait to get out there

I got drawn for archery there. Any tips to help a guy out.
                Also want to take my bike. How do you prep for no flats?

Comment

Went 0-15 for GDES today.

However, did get picked for GDM at Choke South Shore.

But I'm really bummed because my son, who's in his last year to apply for youth, hasn't gotten picked for squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                    I got drawn for archery there. Any tips to help a guy out.
                    Also want to take my bike. How do you prep for no flats?

what i recommend is take some time in google maps or bing or what ever mapping platform you like to use and look for trails and funnel points. mark them and when you get down there for scouting dissect them as much as you can and see what is the best spot to sit and wait. what i have found out the best odds to take a shot on something is sit on good trail and wait. animals move around all day since they are getting pushed around by people walking in and out.

if you can get a small tripod my brother had a 8' and you can not believe what a difference it makes. anything from 5-8 will help you spot animals walking thru the brush

expect hot days, mosquitoes and in some occasions a cold front to come thru and change everything. if it rains your bike is useless. my first hunt there, we decided to walkthru the thickest overgrown road and the mosquitoes took like 10lbs of blood from me and my brother. my arms and hands looked like i had chicken pox, use promethium and spray everything a week before and a day before.I recommend some snake boots or guards there are allot of those nasty critters slithering around, almost step on one on a cold morning didnt even rattle

I would say have 3-4 spots that your gonna hunt. i have 2 spots as far from people as i can and 2 relatively close but very hard to get to. my first days i go to the farthest spot i have and hope no one else is around me. if after two days i dont like the spot the third day i spend the morning on the spot 1 or 2 and then the evening on spot 3 or 4 since im closer to the truck i can spend more time out since my walk is not that far back. there is plenty of spots that you can get into if you follow some of the game trails.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyGarcia View Post
                      what i recommend is take some time in google maps or bing or what ever mapping platform you like to use and look for trails and funnel points. mark them and when you get down there for scouting dissect them as much as you can and see what is the best spot to sit and wait. what i have found out the best odds to take a shot on something is sit on good trail and wait. animals move around all day since they are getting pushed around by people walking in and out.

if you can get a small tripod my brother had a 8' and you can not believe what a difference it makes. anything from 5-8 will help you spot animals walking thru the brush

expect hot days, mosquitoes and in some occasions a cold front to come thru and change everything. if it rains your bike is useless. my first hunt there, we decided to walkthru the thickest overgrown road and the mosquitoes took like 10lbs of blood from me and my brother. my arms and hands looked like i had chicken pox, use promethium and spray everything a week before and a day before.I recommend some snake boots or guards there are allot of those nasty critters slithering around, almost step on one on a cold morning didnt even rattle

I would say have 3-4 spots that your gonna hunt. i have 2 spots as far from people as i can and 2 relatively close but very hard to get to. my first days i go to the farthest spot i have and hope no one else is around me. if after two days i dont like the spot the third day i spend the morning on the spot 1 or 2 and then the evening on spot 3 or 4 since im closer to the truck i can spend more time out since my walk is not that far back. there is plenty of spots that you can get into if you follow some of the game trails.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Good luck on your rifle hunt.

Comment

My son was drawn for Palmetto Archery and Nannie Stringfellow GDE. Thoughts on those? We missed out on Nannie last year and they boy that took his spot did great we heard, but we haven't been to either. Any input is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ABWGTX View Post
                          Aren't you the guy that got selected 8 hunts and spent 600days scouting last year?
                          Nope, It was only 4 archery hunts and it was an epic season. Don't yall agree!?

135 5/8" 4.5yr old
                          400lbs
                          140" 5.5yr old
                          156" 5.5yr oold

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Mr. Public; 09-17-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                            Nope, It was only 4 archery hunts and it was an epic season. Don't yall agree!?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Dam show-off

Comment

1st year hitting the hunting scene hard here.
                              Hunted SHNF last year, that drive from Austin sucks.

My son, 10yr, and I both drew:
                              Granger
                              SHNF Antlerless tags

My son drew:
                              Abilene SP
                              Chap

Comment

My daughter drew lower Rio Grande Valley. Any advice?

Comment

Working...
                                X