2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
    I got it done tonight boys! I was hoping for some horns but there's still plenty of season left. The setup worked great. I would have been embarrassed if someone had seen me in this stand but I felt like this tree was the one I needed to be in. I've heard some guys talking about setting up close to ground if the situation calls for it, so I gave it a try tonight. The tree had good back cover, trunk was wide for me to blend in to, branches hung down to cover me up and still allow for some shooting lanes and the grass/plant in front of me broke up my silhouette from the ground. This lone doe came out at 6pm on the trail I was hoping for. She was at about 25 yards and mulled around a bit. I could hear another deer coming through the timber into the field but it never showed. I couldn't pass up the doe at 15 yards while she was munching acorns. Deer were on their feet tonight. And I played around with some milkweed.
    Nice Job man! She looks a nice size. I caught a cold yesterday and I was really looking forward to hitting the woods this weekend. I hope I get better so I can get out there possibly Friday. I found another spot in the unit I hunt that saw a lot of fresh tracks and droppings even with this rain. I have been really excited to sit on it for about two weeks now. Hopefully I get to go out there before the pressure picks up.

Comment

I got some video of some turkeys strutting out there while driving out but do not know how to upload. It will only let me upload pics. They were gobblin away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
        I got some video of some turkeys strutting out there while driving out but do not know how to upload. It will only let me upload pics. They were gobblin away.

And which road was it that you were on driving on??? Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I sat a new spot this am. Saw a big pig and that's it. Did some still hunting through some areas I haven't been and found good trails. I'm finding a crap ton of scrapes! I have yet to see some good horns on the hoof. Hopefully that changes in the next 1-2 weeks.

Comment

By the way, Cinnamon Creek closes at 5pm on week days during bow season... It was a rodeo quartering that deer in my garage... My wife wasn't too happy.

Comment

Originally posted by RNLedet View Post
              And which road was it that you were on driving on??? Haha

The intersection of 730 and I can’t remember which. I am back at the gate. Does not look to bad to me. I brought the rain ⚙️!

Comment

Well I don't plan on hitting it too much this rifle season so tomorrow morning and Friday are my last opportunities out at LBJ. Fortunately, I'll be hunting down outside Fredericksburg the weekend following the rifle opener. With an abundance of deer and the .30-06 as a "back-up" even I manage to put down an 8 pt every year down there. Let's hope they are on the move tomorrow!

Comment

Well I don't plan on hitting it too much this rifle season so tomorrow morning and Friday are my last opportunities out at LBJ. Fortunately, I'll be hunting down outside Fredericksburg the weekend following the rifle opener. With an abundance of deer and the .30-06 as a "back-up" even I manage to put down an 8 pt every year down there. Let's hope they are on the move tomorrow!

Good luck. It should be good. Sit as long as you can. The buck I saw today was around 10:30. I will be giving up LBJ mostly for the rest of the year myself after this week. Will be up further North and In Oklahoma.

Comment

You weren't lying. Just had my first sighting at 10am... just a little spike. I will likely be making a day out of it

Comment

I picked this up yesterday at Cabela's. A Vortex monocular. It's supposed to be the same glass as their Diamonback line. I hate having binos sitting on my chest and I don't sit many places where I can see farther than 150 yards or so. So I thought this mono would be a good change (If I were hunting wide open spaces, I would have gone with a stronger option). Easy to pack, stays out of the way and has really clear glass. Was about $100. They make a little smaller version for about $60.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                        I picked this up yesterday at Cabela's. A Vortex monocular. It's supposed to be the same glass as their Diamonback line. I hate having binos sitting on my chest and I don't sit many places where I can see farther than 150 yards or so. So I thought this mono would be a good change (If I were hunting wide open spaces, I would have gone with a stronger option). Easy to pack, stays out of the way and has really clear glass. Was about $100. They make a little smaller version for about $60.

I have been pretty impressed with my rangefinder monocle. It is 10X power, and I’m finding it hard to justify adding another piece of optics. Well, at least for close quarters sits. I do need to get a good set of binos for long distance observation sits, though.

Comment

Anyone have a good tracking dog and a little free time?

Comment

There is a list at the top of one of the forums. I think it is the "around the campfire" forum. Glad to see you got a shot off.

Comment

Anyone have a good tracking dog and a little free time?

Ooohhh, buck or doe?

Comment

I say give Froggy a call. 940 577 0293

His beagles will get it for ya. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X