Shnf '18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USMCAg07 View Post
    Question for the more experienced hunters in the group. I have yet to be out in the Sam during heavy rains. If any of you have, what does the deer movement look like? Chance of rain looks like 80% for opening day so just curious what deer will do that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rain weeds out hunters. Less hunters is better. They hunker down in heavy rain but move as soon as it lets up. The biggest deer I ever killed was in the rain and nobody else wanted to go.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      Rain weeds out hunters. Less hunters is better. They hunker down in heavy rain but move as soon as it lets up. The biggest deer I ever killed was in the rain and nobody else wanted to go.
      That's what im counting on. If not it'll be a nice wet walk in the woods.

Comment

Rain reduces sent. Soft ground makes it easier to see game trails. If your in the hardwoods (where you should be) you can tell where the leaves have been turned over from deer movement. Rain is only miserable to us, deer don't care.

Comment

Question for the more experienced hunters in the group. I have yet to be out in the Sam during heavy rains. If any of you have, what does the deer movement look like? Chance of rain looks like 80% for opening day so just curious what deer will do that day.

When it calls for rain, I’m out in the woods. Good scent reducer and you can walk around easier. In the Marines we said, “If it ain’t raining, we ain’t training”. Watch out for falling waterlogged limbs, last weekend I heard quite a few big ones hitting the ground

Comment

First timer in archery (crossbow DOA) and will be trying my hand this season. Never have done public hunting. Is the SHNF really that huge like the map indicates from the Texas Parks website? what do all those small numbers mean (200s), trails? Was wanting to walk out there this morning, but work caught up to me.
            Another question, does going on a Tuesday or Thursday reduce number of hunters?

The whole "wild west" thing scared me away during rifle season, so trying archery plus during the week hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrobeerman View Post
              First timer in archery (crossbow DOA) and will be trying my hand this season. Never have done public hunting. Is the SHNF really that huge like the map indicates from the Texas Parks website? what do all those small numbers mean (200s), trails? Was wanting to walk out there this morning, but work caught up to me.

The whole "wild west" thing scared me away during rifle season, so trying archery plus during the week hunting.
              The numbers you see in the 200s are usually forest service roads. Yes, the Sam is a little over 160,000 acres. Weekdays usually pull less traffic, and you'll usually hear wild west gunfire during opening weekend of general up till about thanksgiving, and the last weekend of general season. Don't forget your orange[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Taxidermy Guy View Post
                Hey y'all I finally got on here and trying to figure out how to use the site. It won't let me post a thread per rules. I think I have to have so many comments or something first. Anyway, I'm Lynn Dunham, I've been hanging out on the Sam Houston Facebook page for a few years now and was encouraged to try this site out. Y'all help me out of you see me do something stupid.
                Whats up Lynn. Are you going in your sandals this weekend? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                  Good morning....Any of you guy's ever stay at Hillcrest RV Campground just East of New Waverly on 150?

Thinking of staying there first weekend in October.
                  I think I did once, nice enough place.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Astrobeerman View Post

Weekdays are where it's at. Most of my kills were weekday hunts. When i was in college i scheduled my classes for max hunting times and hit the woods a lot in the week. Weekends do get crowded so just leave early to claim your tree. It can be done safe enough. Stay away from gates and find your spots from random road access and you'll bypass the majority of other people. Most of the weekend warriors like the gates for easy walk in. First couple weekends are thicker then dies out a hair, but if you hunt within a few miles of the lake you'll hear a lot of duck hunters too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all have fun tomorrow. I'm not set to hunt out there so don't even have the permit. If anyone gets in a bind or needs a hand that won't get me busted for hunting, I'll be free all day and my phone gets tbh alerts so feel free to ask.

Comment

Sounds good, I'm off to sleep boys, let's get some LDP's in the mornin. If not, see yas at the lunch[emoji112]
                        Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                        Y'all have fun tomorrow. I'm not set to hunt out there so don't even have the permit. If anyone gets in a bind or needs a hand that won't get me busted for hunting, I'll be free all day and my phone gets tbh alerts so feel free to ask.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck to everyone going out in the Sam in the morning.

I'll be out there trying to get a big one.

Comment

Been out there on the ground in heavy rain. When the rain slows down, they move. Almost got a shot at 20 yards while standing behind a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                              Been out there on the ground in heavy rain. When the rain slows down, they move. Almost got a shot at 20 yards while standing behind a tree.
                              Hey Eddie, you still out east? How'd the hurricane go? Season start yet and done any hunting?

Comment

We are in our spot for the weekend in Cagle. Fire going. Beer flowing. And hopefully deer dropping like a girls pantys on prom night 🤠

Comment

Working...
                                X