Lake Meredith Public hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
    I keep hearing the hiking is rough. Need trekking poles or just rough terrain compared to the relative flatlands everywhere else?
    Lots of big rocks, draws, washouts etc. Lots of up and down, depending on where you are going. I have never used trekking poles and think you can get by without them. That said, I did fall in the bottom of a canyon some years back and gashed my shin down to the bone... so maybe poles wouldn't be a bad idea..

Comment

Trekking poles are rarely not a good idea, especially if you're gonna be packing out an animal...

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        Trekking poles are rarely not a good idea, especially if you're gonna be packing out an animal...
        Good point haha

Comment

Sounds like those horse dbags need a bunch of folks in bicycles riding by them... ugh I cant stand that behavior. Public land belongs to everyone to share, not to run all the deer out on purpose because you are a greedy ****

Comment

Helpful suggestions.

Comment

two more weeks for weekend opener, can't wait.

I always use trekking poles, helps keep weight off my bad knees and my tent requires one of the poles for setup. Lake Meredith gear dump thread might be useful, don't think there is one.

There really isn't a simple way to go hunt out there, you have to put in your time and figure it all out. It is always a "pumpkin patch" during rifle season on the weekends, you can get away from them but you have got to know where to go, be in good shape, and have the right gear and still struggle.

Hunt during the week and hike at least 4 miles from your truck and you will see deer, hopefully before they see/smell you.

Think we all sent messages/emails to the Rangers about the horses, nothing will be done and I don't know what we can do. I don't have any ideas there.

Comment

Think this go around as far as gear I'll be camping in my truck, though I'm tempted to bring tent just to be able to wake up on some of the canyons I'm interested in for a day or two. Just would suck to have that extra weight if I do get it done haha. Bringing a molle frame with kifaru panel and hydration pack. Msr pump just incase I need water away from the truck. Outside of that counting on my 3006, binos, and tired legs

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                  Think this go around as far as gear I'll be camping in my truck, though I'm tempted to bring tent just to be able to wake up on some of the canyons I'm interested in for a day or two. Just would suck to have that extra weight if I do get it done haha. Bringing a molle frame with kifaru panel and hydration pack. Msr pump just incase I need water away from the truck. Outside of that counting on my 3006, binos, and tired legs
                  Yessir, that will get it done, good luck this season!

Comment

Wonder if a foghorn would spook the horses that these guys are riding

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                      Wonder if a foghorn would spook the horses that these guys are riding
                      I thought about that... five bucks say they'd claim harassment

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
                        Yessir, that will get it done, good luck this season!
                        You as well!

Comment

Working...
                        X