No announcement yet.

Cooper WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I’ve seen so far on the cameras are does. But they have been really consistent at the times they are showing up on the cameras. Nothing with antlers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BPurvisJr View Post
      All I’ve seen so far on the cameras are does. But they have been really consistent at the times they are showing up on the cameras. Nothing with antlers yet.

It's ugly out there.... It's really dry across most of the area....

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
        It's ugly out there.... It's really dry across most of the area....

One of the best years I hunted out there was when lake was low.
        Deer would filter into low areas eating the stuff coming up from the exposed lake bed.
        That’s been a dozen years or so but it wasn’t out of ordinary to see a dozen deer a sit those evenings

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
          One of the best years I hunted out there was when lake was low.
          Deer would filter into low areas eating the stuff coming up from the exposed lake bed.
          That’s been a dozen years or so but it wasn’t out of ordinary to see a dozen deer a sit those evenings

It's been dry before but this is a little different. 2 dry years in row has caused a reduction in thickets and cover. I'll have to find some photos or videos to highlight the difference.

Comment

I'll be putting up my camera in the next week or 2. Hopefully this year is better. Last year was a complete bust.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

First time in 17 years that I didn't even see a deer there...... Now, it probably was the least I hunted it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                First time in 17 years that I didn't even see a deer there...... Now, it probably was the least I hunted it as well.

Same for me but I did see one doe out of range on the first hunt last year. Only hunted maybe 5 or 6 days all season. Life gets in the way, not to mention the weather.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Human foot print, dry conditions and lack of sign caused me to hunt elsewhere

Comment

Maybe if dry there will be less ticks. I did well 2014-2016

Comment

I got a group of cameras that are placed and working. After two weeks, I caught photos of deer on 2 out of 4. Most are doe, with the exception of one buck. He’s unbalanced, with what looks like 4 points on the left side and a spike on the right. Culler.

Conditions are dry. Ticks are still plentiful.

Comment

I have been trying to find it, but been unsuccessful. Does anyone know where to find the harvest numbers for last year’s deer season at Cooper WMA?

Comment

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt...atistics.phtml
                          Originally posted by ToddDaRealMcCoy View Post
                          I have been trying to find it, but been unsuccessful. Does anyone know where to find the harvest numbers for last year’s deer season at Cooper WMA?

Comment

Me and a buddy got drawn for the gun deer hunt on Dec 17-19. Anybody been on one of these hunts. Just looking for how the hunt is ran? I'm pretty familiar with the areas around the lake.

Comment

I drew it a few years ago.

They let folks choose their unit in order of being drawn. I know that area pretty well between ducks and bow hunting.

Drew the area east of merit creek. Think I found one area I could see 50 yards. Did not see a deer. Which is beyond belief for me as many as I see on that wma

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                                Me and a buddy got drawn for the gun deer hunt on Dec 17-19. Anybody been on one of these hunts. Just looking for how the hunt is ran? I'm pretty familiar with the areas around the lake.
                                I did it last year.

Show up, quick speech, long time picking units as no one knows what they want. Then go hunt. All of the gates will be unlocked so you can take your ATV. I had one guy walk past my stand at 10am on Sunday. Tried to get his attention, but he was to far away, eventually was able to yell and get his attention on his way out at 3pm. Called the warden but nothing happened. The WMA office drove around and put flyers up on cars that were parked at the WMA but were not part of the hunt.

They let you use 1 bag of corn. They want to ensure it's gone by the time the hunt is over. Their idea is that you scatter along a long open lane and it will make the deer stop just long enough for a shot.

They say there is a lot of deer, but I think only 1 doe was shot on our hunt in November. The deer seemed to shift patterns the week before, so it took me sometime to relocate them. Wish I would have had a gun the next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X