No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the rifle guys cleaned up. That one is a really nice buck.
    Attached Files

Comment

If that 5x5 was shot at Meredith it would be amazing!!!! That thing is huge compared to anything I have seen out there. The bottom on is more on par for a mule deer buck I have seen there.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
        If that 5x5 was shot at Meredith it would be amazing!!!! That thing is huge compared to anything I have seen out there. The bottom on is more on par for a mule deer buck I have seen there.
        It was posted on the Meredith facebook group. Terrain looks right but a significant size difference than most of what I have seen out there.

Comment

I never saw any that big at Meredith but did see some that size on private land around the lake. They’re definitely around the area.

Comment

I kind of questioned whether it was there or not. The terrain looks right and I don’t know why else he be wearing orange. Biggest I’ve seen out there is probably a 28 to 30 inch wide 3 x 3. But I’ve been on some of the ranches thst border Meredith and seen some really nice deer on them.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
              I kind of questioned whether it was there or not. The terrain looks right and I don’t know why else he be wearing orange. Biggest I’ve seen out there is probably a 28 to 30 inch wide 3 x 3. But I’ve been on some of the ranches thst border Meredith and seen some really nice deer on them.
              Don't get me wrong, I hope he did get it there! That would be awesome and somewhat encouraging to think one might have a chance at a buck like that on Texas public land. But like you the biggest I have seen was a 3x3 and the biggest I have killed looked like a decent whitetail 8 point rack. But there is nothing like hunting out there!

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
                It was there. He was shot on the other side of the canyon from me behind a foothill where I couldn't see. Hes a monster. I looked at his carcass after they quartered out the meat, was the size of a boulder. Good buck.

Comment

Saw some deer and was alot of of fun. Had a doe but couldn't tell if it was a whitetail or a mulie, so didnt shoot. The hike and brush will beat ya up

Comment

Bet the neighboring landowners & hunters gonna be mad!

Comment

Will be out there next week for the first time...seeing those 2 bucks being down puts some butterflies in my gut for sure!! With the kind of hunt it is I would be more than satisfied with that lower buck in the pic! I will keep this thread updated when we are there(as long as my ATT keeps service haha)

Comment

Originally posted by Loftin View Post
                        Will be out there next week for the first time...seeing those 2 bucks being down puts some butterflies in my gut for sure!! With the kind of hunt it is I would be more than satisfied with that lower buck in the pic! I will keep this thread updated when we are there(as long as my ATT keeps service haha)
                        Goodluck out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Loftin View Post
                          Not to sound like an arse, but you really should feel satisfied with any buck, regardless of size. Even a doe for that matter if you choose to take one. I've made the trip up there 3 times and brought home 3 bucks. I was lucky. My buddy has been 5 times and gotten nothing, and never even seen a buck. He hunts harder than me and really puts the miles in. He's just never been in the right spot at the right time.

I will say that seeing all the pictures of these bucks, this seems to be an exceptional year at Meredith. It's not always like that.

Good luck to you.
                          Last edited by Grizz83; 11-27-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I lived in Fritch for 3 years and hunted out there a bunch!! I killed bucks every year and some decent ones, but I was able to go pretty much every weekend and day I had off of work. Just seeing a deer is an accomplishment out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                              Not to sound like an arse, but you really should feel satisfied with any buck, regardless of size. Even a doe for that matter if you choose to take one. I've made the trip up there 3 times and brought home 3 bucks. I was lucky. My buddy has been 5 times and gotten nothing, and never even seen a buck. He hunts harder than me and really puts the miles in. He's just never been in the right spot at the right time.

I will say that seeing all the pictures of these bucks, this seems to be an exceptional year at Meredith. It's not always like that.

Good luck to you.
                              This. I was in the same area as two bucks killed, and just hadn't been in the exact spot as the other guys. For a couple days I was the only one to actually see deer (does) and same thing, just happened to be in the right place.

Comment

To respond to the above comments I am not a “trophy”hunter, in fact I don’t have “trophy’s”on my wall at all. I hunt for meat in my fridge(which is running low) what I was trying to get at from reading other post from people stating the bottom buck was what they saw while out hunting not that top buck. My point was to agree with all comments that any animal harvested on this hunt is a trophy. This will be my first ever hunt out here and ANYTHING harvested would be satisfied and a trophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X