Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Devils River SNA Exotic hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
    No joke. I'm glad I did!!!!
    FYI the adult deer hunt is on a diffrent unit than the exotic hunt.

Comment

Training for the potential pack out[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone know if they'll let you use archery equipment? I know I drew the rifle hunt, but if I get something early on, I might want to switch to the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
          Does anyone know if they'll let you use archery equipment? I know I drew the rifle hunt, but if I get something early on, I might want to switch to the bow.
          Don't see why not. I know you can't use a rifle for archery season but you should be able to use a bow during the rifle season. Take it with you and ask when you get there.

Comment

I hunted there last year and another hunter had his bow. They tried to set him up on a place to get some close shots, but he never got a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by captainmike View Post
              I hunted there last year and another hunter had his bow. They tried to set him up on a place to get some close shots, but he never got a shot.
              If they allow it, I would take both.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                If they allow it, I would take both.
                That's what I'm thinking.

Comment

congrats! i was drawn for the first hunt in Jan. took 7 years of applying

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderingchef View Post

Sweet! I'll hit you up for a recap before I head out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderingchef View Post
                      I was drawn for Jan 26-29. Just wondering what kinda luck you had on your hunt? And do you have any advice?

Comment

I was there last year and killed 2, but one fell of the cliff onto another one that I could not get to. I took the skull cap from the other one and mounted the horns onto a flat rock and covered the skull with some deer leather I had.

1 - bring good boots, you will walk forever up and down the canyons all day.
                        2 - bring lots of water - no water on site.
                        3 - have a shooting stick - like everyone says, long shots. I killed one at 100 and the other at 225. I took some longer shots than that though.
                        4 - bring good glasses - it seemed they like to lay on the ledges where there is a point.
                        5 - if you see a few, chances are there are more with them and when you shoot, all heck breaks loose.
                        6 - download a map to your GPS or phone and make sure you know your section and it's boundaries
                        7 - get away from the road, I would walk at least a mile before I would start seeing animals.
                        8 - have fun, it is a once in a lifetime hunt, animals are plentiful

Comment

Thanks for the advice captain mike.

Comment

Working...
                          X