Anyone Had Any Luck At Somerville WMA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Had Any Luck At Somerville WMA?

I've always been curious about the deer hunting there. Thanks in advance.

Muleyfork,
    Trophy7 & I hunted it off and on this past year. WE saw some deer that would make it out of the antler restrictions. Nothing super huge. The deer are really skiddish but you can see some deer. I saw a couple of really nice hogs in the last two weeks of season. To far to sling an arrow at. Wiki hunts out there I havn't heard from him to see how his season ended. I can tell you that it was really dry to start with .When the sky finally open up toward the end of the season we had to wade water to get in.

Comment

KS - thanks for your response. By the way, my experience has been that ALL of the deer in Burleson County are skiddish. Very frustrating.

Comment

Anyone else hunted out there? Me and my buddy are thinking about hunting out there next season.

Comment

Trykonroye, somerville is the best public land near Bryan, make sure you check out both the WMA and the corp land, you can hunt both on somerville but they require totally separate permits and have different rules.

Comment

I hunted ducks in Somerville and Engeling all through school. There are definitely deer if you are willing to scout and spend some time. Like they said above, you aren't going to kill a 150 P&Y buck there, but there are definitely shooter bucks and some decent ones. If you are looking for meat and the pure thrill of the hunt, then its definitely worth a shot. If you want, I have some old maps and gps coords from when i spent all my free time on public land. shoot me a pm and i'll try to dig them out and send them to you.

-Mark

Comment

Working...
            X