No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am heading down tomorrow. It looks to me Like units 6 and 8 by far were the most successful in general. By in general I mean total number of animals killed, not just Neal Guy. Are 1,2,3 and 5 harder to get to? What kept those areas from being successful? Anyone know?

Comment

Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

I also want to say I don’t use TBH very often. Three years ago I drew the granger archery white tail hunt. I wouldn’t have been successful there without this resource and the help of the TBHers I met there. I know this thread will do the same. Thank you to those who have been posting and giving advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted unit 1 first hunt. Came across 8 Nilgai the day we were able to set up. 2 bulls and 6 cows. Never came across another one after that. I had roughly 20 whitetail within 60 yards but I wasnt interested in shooting them.

Comment

In was lucky enough to get a cow on Tuesday morning, but can’t get the pics to upload. Make sure you have all your clothes treated with permethrin, got destroyed by ticks and chiggers in January on a rifle hunt and had zero problems on this hunt after a good permethrin treatment. I think their scale is wrong, after pulling that cow a mile to the road there is no way she only weighed 200 pounds. If it wasn’t for my amigo aggiebowhunter I think I would still be trying to get her out. Good luck to everyone hunting this week. Watch for rattlesnakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmac View Post
              In was lucky enough to get a cow on Tuesday morning, but can’t get the pics to upload. Make sure you have all your clothes treated with permethrin, got destroyed by ticks and chiggers in January on a rifle hunt and had zero problems on this hunt after a good permethrin treatment. I think their scale is wrong, after pulling that cow a mile to the road there is no way she only weighed 200 pounds. If it wasn’t for my amigo aggiebowhunter I think I would still be trying to get her out. Good luck to everyone hunting this week. Watch for rattlesnakes.
              I've thought the same thing about their scale. Congrats on the cow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=GBludau;12971908]I've thought the same thing about their scale. Congrats on the cow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Thank you. Nalgi with a bow was a bucket list for me, killed a couple with a rifle and that’s hard enough I was beginning to think it was going to be impossible to do it on a public hunt. Rode the bike a mile walked another mile shoot the cow, walk the same mile back to the bike, ride mile back to the truck to hook the cart to the bike to go get her ride back unhook cart and walk to where she was to field dress her. I’m pretty sure her gut pile was at least 75 pounds. I called the hunt station and asked if they would send a truck to pick her up at the road and by the grace of god they agreed to come get her.

Comment

At orientation now. Scouted for over 6 hours this morning traveling over 17 miles through units 5 and 3. Didnt see one single animal. I think the last hunts have pressured them greatly. A fellow hunter said he seen a group of around 7 or 8 in unit 8 and another small group in unit 6.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
                    At orientation now. Scouted for over 6 hours this morning traveling over 17 miles through units 5 and 3. Didnt see one single animal. I think the last hunts have pressured them greatly. A fellow hunter said he seen a group of around 7 or 8 in unit 8 and another small group in unit 6.
                    Are you targeting Nilgai? Did you scout section one?

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

so who all will be there for the 29-31 rifle hunt?

Comment

Hey anybody bag any with mechanicals? Headed out soon, wondering if i can get by using mechanicals on nailgi. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post

8 and 6 is where the most animals have been killed. Seems strange to me they stick in the busiest spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have killed 2 cows with mechanicals and wounded a couple. yes it is possible

Comment

I got into town this afternoon and did a little scouting prior to the orientation, but didn’t see any animals. Hopefully tomorrow will be more plentiful. Good luck to all fellow hunters in the morning.

Comment

Good luck fellas. I got drawn for this weekend also but couldn’t make it two wkends down there so close to each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X