Laguna Atascosa 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
    One day left for archery season #2 so reports and pics of harvest board at end would be appreciated. This thread has been great as I'm heading down Thursday for the 3rd archery season (exotic only) and my first hunt at LA.

A question that I haven't seen yet on the Laguna Atascosa-related forums; are we allowed to carry a concealed handgun provided we have a TX handgun license? When I DIY solo backpack hunt the western states with stick and string, I like to have a little more protection from potential 4-legged predators. Or perhaps at LA this is not needed and a waste of ounces while biking/hunting?
    I'll try to get a pic of the board at the end of the day today. It's been a very tough hunt. I didn't hunt Sunday but each day has been progressively slower for us as far as animal movement. I think the animals are adjusting their patterns due to hunter pressure. Also seems like a lot of hunters move to whatever section has the most animals on the board. I expected to see less hunters yesterday due to it being Monday but I saw more than any other day. I'm primarily targeting deer but if I were hunting Nilgai I would hunt section one. We scouted that section pretty hard and it has tons of Nilgai sign.

As far as your LTC question my understanding is that NWR changed their regs to match state law. So if you can legally carry in Texas then you can carry here. I don't know the law about carrying a firearm while archery hunting though. I have not carried my gun in with me. I'm already carrying enough stuff and really didn't want the extra weight and don't feel the need for it.

Good luck on your hunt.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Comment

Must follow state guidelines. From my understanding you are not allowed to carry inside the building per federal and state guidelines. I plan to carry mine.
      Attached Files

Comment

Kazam

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
          Kazam

Is this what you mean?! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171128_100029931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	24521574

Comment

[ATTACH]885119[/ATTACH]

Of course you do! All my *****es love me! Congrats on the doe!

Comment

Congrats bud on the doe

Comment

Nice buck killed today. Saw it on FB. Guess I’ll stay for the last sit after all

Comment

I saw it too. Looked like a heavy 8 and a hog

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                        Nice buck killed today. Saw it on FB. Guess I’ll stay for the last sit after all
                        Hunting page or personal page?

Comment

Great job, congrats!

Comment

Sitting here checking back every once in a while to see what is up has me missing hunting out there. I'm thinking back to how the hunt can vary so much from year to year. There were years where I would see some nice bucks and others where I wouldn't see a thing. The frustrating thing is that I would always get caught not ready for a shot or the deer would be just out of range. I did start to notice that by day three the number of deer sightings for me always went way down (this was when we had one hunt and am sure it is different now with multiple hunts one right after another). I attributed that to pressure on the animals but on the other hand there were times when larger number of hunters in the area seemed to keep animals moving. Keep posting guys cause I am hunting vicariously through you.
                            Last edited by SneakyPhil; 11-28-2017, 11:10 AM. Reason: .

Comment

It's hot and windy and haven't seen anything moving since about 9:00. Really have not figured out a good mid-day strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                                It's hot and windy and haven't seen anything moving since about 9:00. Really have not figured out a good mid-day strategy.

Our mid day strategy is Wing Stop in San Benito. Fuel for last sit haha

Comment

Working...
                                X