SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pelochas View Post
    dont bring anything loaded until your out of the road in the forest. chl carry is fine
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know that, but just by dumb luck, I had my gun unloaded when I was near the road. Good to know.

I also learned SHNF is not one contiguous piece of public property, the ranger station is not open on Saturdays, and you need a special permit to hunt public lands.

Luckily, caught all these things when I got to the ranger station. I tell you what, public land hunting is way more regulated and difficult here than back home.

Comment

Nice work on the buck

Comment

Fellas, been a while since I have been over here. Props to you guys for continuing year in and year out bow hunting the SAM. I only rifle hunt now basically because I am clumsy and have 3 young kids, hanging from a climber when the platform falls out from under you is enough to scare you off from climbing.

After reading the "other" thread, just wanted to give you props. I know the work I go through to get a deer with a rifle, your work has added stresses.

Much props, hoping for a shot for all of you (as long as you don't come to my spot

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          Thanks for the info. I didn't know that, but just by dumb luck, I had my gun unloaded when I was near the road. Good to know.

I also learned SHNF is not one contiguous piece of public property, the ranger station is not open on Saturdays, and you need a special permit to hunt public lands.

Luckily, caught all these things when I got to the ranger station. I tell you what, public land hunting is way more regulated and difficult here than back home.
          Go back and read my post #982. One you have done your homework, these guys will be happy to help fill in the gaps. Good luck.

Comment

Congrats on the buck Felix, pretty cool.

Comment

This may be a dumb question but I can not find the answer. What time are you allowed to go into the forest and what time must you leave?

Comment

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post
                This may be a dumb question but I can not find the answer. What time are you allowed to go into the forest and what time must you leave?
                There are a lot of answers to that based on what you specifically mean. Shooting light is half an hour before sunrise to half an hour after sunset. If you are camping (designated places only during archery and general season), max 14 days in one area before you gotta pack up for a bit or move (do bear in mind your camp can't be left unattended for more than 24 hours). As far as just being in the forest moving to and from spots, I don't believe there is a set time you have to be in or out, given you could be tracking something you shot right at the end of shooting light for a bit afterwards, or moving far in the woods to your spot so that you can set up before first light.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                  Go back and read my post #982. One you have done your homework, these guys will be happy to help fill in the gaps. Good luck.
                  Would have been good to see those links Friday night when I was searching. I found them, but not compiled near as nicely.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                    There are a lot of answers to that based on what you specifically mean. Shooting light is half an hour before sunrise to half an hour after sunset. If you are camping (designated places only during archery and general season), max 14 days in one area before you gotta pack up for a bit or move (do bear in mind your camp can't be left unattended for more than 24 hours). As far as just being in the forest moving to and from spots, I don't believe there is a set time you have to be in or out, given you could be tracking something you shot right at the end of shooting light for a bit afterwards, or moving far in the woods to your spot so that you can set up before first light.

Primarily I was wondering how early you can go into the woods to setup prior to first light.

Comment

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post
                      Primarily I was wondering how early you can go into the woods to setup prior to first light.
                      As early as you need to. I'm usually at the gate around 4 cause of how far back most of my spots are.

Comment

As early as you need to. I'm usually at the gate around 4 cause of how far back most of my spots are.

Thanks, that is just what I needed to know.

Comment

Going to be even earlier after saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                            Going to be even earlier after saturday.
                            Yep, and I probably still won't come out with any [emoji23][emoji24]

Comment

Forgot to mention I hunted the Sam Monday. One of my spots changed a little. So I walked back a little further. Found a little oak flat and set up. Once in the tree I found a fresh scrape. Never seen him but I did see 3 does. Two came running in. Never seen what chased them. Anyway, no good shots. Trying again in the same area tomorrow. Staying most of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                                Forgot to mention I hunted the Sam Monday. One of my spots changed a little. So I walked back a little further. Found a little oak flat and set up. Once in the tree I found a fresh scrape. Never seen him but I did see 3 does. Two came running in. Never seen what chased them. Anyway, no good shots. Trying again in the same area tomorrow. Staying most of the day.
                                Hi bow
                                You mention you hunted the Sam monday?? Was this monday before last? If it was this Monday 30th, be careful as season closed til Nov 4th. Archery lasted was Sunday close. But anyway, good you seeing sign showing up with cooler weather

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X