SHNF 17-18 ( the real deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishinguy View Post
    I saw that road on Google Earth. I have no idea what the hunter traffic looks like in these areas but I will assume anything close to a road is heavily trafficked. My idea was to go up into one of the coves located further from the road and walk in from there to cut down on crossing other hunters and to cut down on walking distance. I wasn't sure if that "peninsula" would hold game or if it is likely over trafficked.
    People generally like to park at gates. Find random places to walk in. Just be mindful of others out there, even if they don't show you the same. It gets thick around there so be aware of that. Mostly why people park at gates, they can walk the roads farther instead of busting brush

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

i spot a friend took me too was north of Baker bridge and to the west before the Stubblefield camp grounds, no hunting there. There is a lot of stumps but find those and go to shore. We launched from Cagle boat ramp.

Comment

Hey everyone, I'm new here and was interested in checking out the SAM.

I was thinking about putting in a small boat at the Scotts Ridge boat ramp and crossing the lake there to hunt the other side. Is there any productive areas in that vicinity or is it better to stick with creek bottoms?

Is this the right place for such a question? I'm really new to the whole public hunting thing and I am hoping to atleast see some animals.
        Boat is not bad. I think a guy on here goes over to the pipeline with a boat.
        Lots of hogs at times in there. Some deer activity in that area too. They may still close roads to campsites in there too during hunting season. I don't know if they are still doing that. Any area can be productive. Just a hundred yards can be the difference from seeing no deer to getting a double. Also lots of shots from duck hunters around the lake may affect you if you are close to the water.

Comment

Hey everyone, I'm new here and was interested in checking out the SAM.

I was thinking about putting in a small boat at the Scotts Ridge boat ramp and crossing the lake there to hunt the other side. Is there any productive areas in that vicinity or is it better to stick with creek bottoms?

Is this the right place for such a question? I'm really new to the whole public hunting thing and I am hoping to atleast see some animals.
          I've done that in the past. Lots of stumps to hit. ( I think I hit 8 on the way there, all underwater and not visible) we did see some deer along the waters edge. It was fairly thick back there, but I didn't scout it as much as I wanted to. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
            Cool deal Damian. Can’t wait to see it.

Looks like I’ll be home Friday and will be home for 10 days or so....so that means I’m hunting the Sam almost everyday! And during the rut!!! I’m ridiculously pumped!!! Got three more tags to fill
            I've seen a couple people say they have seen more bucks today than any other day. So I'm assuming that the bucks will be moving. My new spot should produce something...( I pray). Of course I can't get there until Sunday, so they should be done by then.
            Lol

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
              I've seen a couple people say they have seen more bucks today than any other day. So I'm assuming that the bucks will be moving. My new spot should produce something...( I pray). Of course I can't get there until Sunday, so they should be done by then.
              Lol

With that front coming in, you better be ready to shoot

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                Boat is not bad. I think a guy on here goes over to the pipeline with a boat.
                Lots of hogs at times in there. Some deer activity in that area too. They may still close roads to campsites in there too during hunting season. I don't know if they are still doing that. Any area can be productive. Just a hundred yards can be the difference from seeing no deer to getting a double. Also lots of shots from duck hunters around the lake may affect you if you are close to the water.
                Thank you, this helps alot. I think I know where I am going to try first. Now I just need to find the time to get out there and see it in person

Comment

Thank you, this helps alot. I think I know where I am going to try first. Now I just need to find the time to get out there and see it in person
                  I concur, the boat thing is a good idea. The tough part is finding a spot to walk in once you park the boat. I know its late for this advice but you almost have to pick your entry spot ahead of time and clear a path in for yourself.

I don’t have a boat, but back when the lake was really low I parked and walked along the shore quite a ways before I cut in. It was a struggle for the first bit but its amazing how much it opens up in some areas. Now you would have to use a boat to get where I was.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                    I'm right with you . It's time to start squirrel hunting. I've heard there are a few of them left.
                    I have never hunted the Sam, but I have a free weekend finally.

I realize you were probably kidding, but do you have suggestions on squirrel area's? I was planning on hitting it after hunting season, but with this weekend being a free weekend, I would love to get out and shoot some.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

I realize you were probably kidding, but do you have suggestions on squirrel area's? I was planning on hitting it after hunting season, but with this weekend being a free weekend, I would love to get out and shoot some.
                      As far as specific areas I'm not too familiar, but the best thing to do is go on google maps, find a Creek bed because the oaks like to grow there (the oaks will stand out if you zoom in on maps), and set up in an oak patch. It is a very generic tip but since the Sam has a TON of pine, it will help you cut down your search areas.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                        As far as specific areas I'm not too familiar, but the best thing to do is go on google maps, find a Creek bed because the oaks like to grow there (the oaks will stand out if you zoom in on maps), and set up in an oak patch. It is a very generic tip but since the Sam has a TON of pine, it will help you cut down your search areas.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
                        Thanks, appreciate it.

Comment

Just logged back on today for the first time in a long time, but glad to be back around. Hope everyone's had a good season so far. As for me, I've only had two outings and nothing tagged yet.

Managed to see a couple does two weeks ago, then a 7pt and a spike this past Monday. Got winded though, and never saw anything after.

Checked my cameras and did find a nice 8 point but he's totally nocturnal at the moment. I have noticed a VERY large increase in hog traffic this year though. Anyone else seeing the same? Only one made it on camera, but man there is rooting and tracks everywhere!

Good luck to anyone going out this weekend. I'll be hunting my home in Ohio and hope to at least bag something with a borrowed crossbow since I couldn't afford to ship my Mathews safely, lol.
                          Last edited by Rockstar Chevy; 10-26-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

Don't go squirrel hunting, you won't see any. Go deer hu ting and you'll be covered up in bushy tails.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                              Don't go squirrel hunting, you won't see any. Go deer hu ting and you'll be covered up in bushy tails.

Truth!

Bring a .22 and see deer. Bring a 30-06 and see nothing but limb chicken. Bring both... see hippies walking the trails.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                                Truth!

Bring a .22 and see deer. Bring a 30-06 and see nothing but limb chicken. Bring both... see hippies walking the trails.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
                                Well then make sure you also have a shovel. 😂😂

Comment

Working...
                                X