X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild plums make sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I envy you guys that can put boots on the ground, I don't start counting till I'm hunting

Comment

anyone headed out to scout the Sam soon??? Im in North Houston and will drive !

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
          I envy you guys that can put boots on the ground, I don't start scouting till I'm hunting
          Fixed

Comment

Are there any dove fields in Sam? Last time I was there was around 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
              Are there any dove fields in Sam? Last time I was there was around 10 years ago.
              I don't know of any fields, per se, but I have seen some dove fly from time to time.

Comment

Ok, new to this thread. Just now found out it existed. I hunted SHNF last year and found a nice oak grove along a creek that seemed to get constant activity. Was only able to hunt it about 4 times but had deer activity every time and had a legal deer at 25 yards on one occasion. Went and scouted last week and yesterday and I've noticed there isn't a single acorn in any of the trees.... from what I've read on this thread, acorns seem to be scarce in the forest this year??? If so, that sucks! lol.

Also, being new to SHNF, what is considered a shooter vs pass? I have no idea of the size of deer to expect. I got a game cam out last week and had this guy on there. Thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He's a beast thanks for sharing that pic.

Comment

Looks like a pass to me from that angle and only because I can't make 13" inside spread. Healthy deer. Maybe you will get a better angle on him during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
                      Yeah they they matched the description of the wild grapes someone else mentioned so I took a guess there. As for the cherries, they aren't quite as good as the ones in store, granted they weren't fully ripe, but they are indeed edible.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
                      If you stumble upon a bunch of those grapes, they make good wine.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                        He's a beast thanks for sharing that pic.

Sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                          Looks like a pass to me from that angle and only because I can't make 13" inside spread. Healthy deer. Maybe you will get a better angle on him during the season.

He's over 13 inches. I have another pic on the cam but not on my phone. My question is, do you shoot the first legal deer or hold out for something larger. I'm new to hunting the national forest so that's why I am asking. I can find my own spots and know how to hunt. I just want advice as to what's a shooter based off what other people see or have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                            He's over 13 inches. I have another pic on the cam but not on my phone. My question is, do you shoot the first legal deer or hold out for something larger. I'm new to hunting the national forest so that's why I am asking. I can find my own spots and know how to hunt. I just want advice as to what's a shooter based off what other people see or have seen.

Lots of hunters in the sam live off that if i dont shoot it someone else will... Unfortunately thats part of public hunting. I have passed shooter bucks never to be seen again some shot by other hunters and some lived to see again. When i hunt the sam or any public land. Trophy isnt what i think of. Mkre or less filling the freezer.... But if you are waiting for the one.... Which isnt unheard of out there.... Then pass on any buck you want as long as he makes you happy and is within legal means.

Comment

Originally posted by roostar14 View Post
                              Lots of hunters in the sam live off that if i dont shoot it someone else will... Unfortunately thats part of public hunting. I have passed shooter bucks never to be seen again some shot by other hunters and some lived to see again. When i hunt the sam or any public land. Trophy isnt what i think of. Mkre or less filling the freezer.... But if you are waiting for the one.... Which isnt unheard of out there.... Then pass on any buck you want as long as he makes you happy and is within legal means.

Yeah, it would be easier to sling and arra if it wasn't a 2 mile hike to the spot I have through some pretty thick stuff. Lol. No way to get a game cart in there. I have 70 acres to fill the freezer. Lol. But all I ever see there are doe. So he's gonna have to be nice for me to go through the hassle of packing him out.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                                Yeah, it would be easier to sling and arra if it wasn't a 2 mile hike to the spot I have through some pretty thick stuff. Lol. No way to get a game cart in there. I have 70 acres to fill the freezer. Lol. But all I ever see there are doe. So he's gonna have to be nice for me to go through the hassle of packing him out.

Thats how i feel. This year i been blessed to go on a few axis hunts and get my meat fillers then. I hunt the sam for big bucks. Takes more skill and effort. Makes the hunt real..... This year i have decided to leave the sam and dedicate my time to Davey nf. Some big big deer up there in my cams. Cant wait for opener!

Comment

Working...
                                X