Devil's River Archery Exotic Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil's River Archery Exotic Hunt

Just wondering if any TBH'ers got drawn for the TP&WD archery exotic hunt in January. I'll be there hoping to see a few critters. I was drawn last year for the gun hunt and saw some Aoudads and Corcicans. The bigger aoudads were crossing a hill top before I could get a shot but I did have some 1/2 curl corcicans about 30 yards away from me but I passed on them. There were some full curl and curl and a half killed along with some aoudads. It ought to be a challenge to get a critter in bow range there but I'm excited about going.

Originally posted by Downwind View Post
    Just wondering if any TBH'ers got drawn for the TP&WD archery exotic hunt in January. I'll be there hoping to see a few critters. I was drawn last year for the gun hunt and saw some Aoudads and Corcicans. The bigger aoudads were crossing a hill top before I could get a shot but I did have some 1/2 curl corcicans about 30 yards away from me but I passed on them. There were some full curl and curl and a half killed along with some aoudads. It ought to be a challenge to get a critter in bow range there but I'm excited about going.

Take a pop-up and brush it in for better cover. Good luck with hunt. sounds like it would be fun.

Comment

Thanks for the advice SABowman. I do have a popup that I will be taking and depending on the area I get drawn for I set it up along a trail, watering hole or a funnel/fence crossing. When I was there last time there was no water in the area I hunted but I did see them at places where the fence was down or had a hole in it. I going to call the place and see if they will allow baiting and maybe I put some corn out along the trails and crossing and wait on them to find it. I'm sure it would be hard to try and stalk one and get in bow range although I did just that when I hunted with a gun last year. I got within 40 to 50 yards of some corcicans that I passed on. The Aoudads were another story and I never got closser than 250 yards. I have been practicing out to 50 yards and I'm confident that I could put an arrow in the right spot.

Comment

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I was thinking about entering in trying for this hunt next year. Sounds like some rough country.

Comment

Very rough country. Bring some good optics. Do a lot of glassing before you attempt a stalk. I did it two years ago with a rifle and even that was hard. I'm to old to try that with a bow.
          Good luck.

My hands after the end of the first day...

Comment

Congrats on a fine looking Aoudad. I know that it is gonna be a tough hunt with a bow but I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Downwind View Post
              Congrats on a fine looking Aoudad. I know that it is gonna be a tough hunt with a bow but I'm looking forward to it.
              Some of the TV shows that are in terrain like that, they set-up on water sources OR trails going to a water source near a heavily used trail intersection. Brush blind in really well. Plan on scouting at least one day before hunting new area if possible, even if you HAVE been there before. The terrain in those pics look like it would be quite difficult to stalk up on an exotic IMHO.

Comment

Working...
              X