Stringfellow or Engeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stringfellow or Engeling?

Ok, my son and I got drawn for archery hunts at Nannie Stringfellow WMA and Gus Engeling WMA in November. We wont be able to make both hunts so we are asking the gs for advice. Which would you attend if you were in our shoes and why?

I had much success last year at Stringfellow on the hog hunt
    Good luck buddy

Comment

At Gus Engling, the sand is real loose so you can easily get stuck. At Nannie Stringfellow, the mud gets real deep and you can get easily stuck.
      Seriously, both are good hunts if you are willing to hunt. Both are very thick and there are some nice deer on both. Stringfellow is absolutely covered up in hogs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
        Stringfellow is absolutely covered up in hogs though.
        ^^This

Comment

Originally posted by Palehorse View Post
          Stringfellow is absolutely covered up in hogs though.
          Not worried about hogs on this trip as these are both deer hunts and baiting is allowed on both.

Comment

Don't know anything about Gus Engeling but I live about 10 minutes from Stringfellow. That hunt is pretty tough with very low odds for a whitetail. The rut will be over by then, and if you bait, you will be covered up in pigs. This country down here is overran with pigs and a has a smaller deer population. I don't put in for Nannie Stringfellow.

Comment

The success rate the last two years for Nannie StringFellow has been 19% and 14%, while Gus Engeling was 5% and 14%.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                Not worried about hogs on this trip as these are both deer hunts and baiting is allowed on both.
                I wasn't saying that as a bad thing. I love stickin hogs!

Comment

Some really nice deer have come off of Engeling

Comment

I have hunted Gus I have never hunted Stringfellow. I would hunt Gus Engeling again. What are the dates of your hunts? That may help make up your mind which way to go. I would want to hunt at Gus from the first week of November to the first of December. It can be real hot the first two weeks of October and the mosquitoes real bad at Gus. Oh I saw you said November dates. I would hunt Gus then

Comment

If you pick nannie be prepared for wet muddy conditions, lots of pigs, water mocassins and tons of mosquitos

Comment

I hunted Nannie stringfellow last year tons of hogs everywhere saw deer every day I was there one good buck but could not make the shot had a real good time there and herd somebody had shot a 130+ buck on a youth hunt

Comment

Same happened to us two years ago. We let our gut choice. It bwas the right call. The place we went was cloudy and light rain. My son got a doe. The other place had a monsoon and was a strike out for those that went.

Comment

I have hunted both many times. I currently lease 500 acres next to the Stringfellow. Due to your hunt being in Nov I would definitely go to Gus. Stringfellow rut is long gone by then and Gus is just cranking up. At Gus we always hunt comp #7 it is where the check station and boneyard is. We have taken several deer and a few pigs hunting the creek beds in that comp.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X