No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO unless another hunter pushes em to you its hard to kill a good one now. 2nd rut is over

Comment

Originally posted by CARLOCK View Post
      Well i walk some ground I havent seen in awhile and found something I have to say is very interesting but I couldn't help but stop and take a pic it's worth talking about..if this is anyone's on here sorry I wont say where I found it just know I was in shock..lol
      [ATTACH]830097[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I didn't know 32draw was Huntin at Whitney lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks TG. Didn't see anything this morning. Hopefully this evening. Did find a fresh hang on around the corner from me at lunch time

Comment

Originally posted by switchback View Post
          Thanks TG. Didn't see anything this morning. Hopefully this evening. Did find a fresh hang on around the corner from me at lunch time
          Give me a call when ya get back to the truck tonight.

Comment

Be careful out there guys , it's FOGGY! !!

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
              Be careful out there guys , it's FOGGY! !!
              No kid-n it is!

Looks like it's going to be a windy weekend coming up too.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                No kid-n it is!

Looks like it's going to be a windy weekend coming up too.
                Windy,full moon great weekend to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                  Good luck to you! I'm hunting a different WMA but late season at Whitney/Aquilla has been good for me in the past.

This is my first year using a lightweight Hang-on stand and a set of sticks. I'm using X-Stands aluminum mantis sticks, but I wish I had gone a different route.

And just an FYI, you can get an XOP Vanish XT for around $150. Same designer as the original Lone Wolf stands, only difference is that they're made in china. It's your money, so you can do as you please.

If you do go with Lone Wolf Sticks, X-Stand, XOP or even Hawk Helium sticks (with the versa button mod), I really recommend doing the rope mod! Saves weight, and I can get around any tree I want. Just make sure you have climbing spec rope from a place like REI, etc.

Lone Wolf Climbing Rope and Tree Stand Modification: The strap and buckle that comes with the Lone Wolf climbing sticks and tree stand can be noisy due to t...

Using a stand and sticks has totally changed the way I hunt, and I have had more opportunities on big deer than I ever would have imagined versus being stuck to straight trees like I was with my climber.

That's a good video. After watching it one adjustment I think would work is a prusik knot attached to the rope and use the loop end to go around the attachment knob. Then you can take the slack out with the prusik knot instead. That was a great post of yours. I'd like to see more things like this.

Comment

Sorry TG. I was in a hurry to get to the house. Had a little 4 point come in about 5:30. Ate a few bites and left. I'll try to call you later.

Comment

So we saw some deer back on Wed Dec 7th. Saw a few heading in. Then around 8:45 had several walk by the stand - between 15 and 35 yards. One older buck - I estimate at 4 1/2, not a huge rack but stunning nonetheless. Also saw the biggest doe I've ever seen, and the rest were small to medium sized does (or nubbin bucks).

My wife's second day to hunt ever. I told her on the drive down she had first shot priority and I would shoot anything out of her 20-yd range.

I set our stands back to back on the same tree. All the deer came up on my side. My wife couldn't get her release on the loop with the two gloves she was wearing with the Hot Hand stuffed inside. By the time my wife got her second glove off a couple doe were close and one spotted her in the tree. They both froze and finally the doe trotted off with her tail in the air but didn't frighten the others. When the buck stopped at 30-32 yds broadside it was beyond her range. By the time I picked up my bow, attached my release and drew he was walking away with no shot. There were two doe left and I told my wife to get ready - they came closest to the stand and walked by at a quick trot at 15 and 18 yards but never stopped to give my wife a shot.

That was the most deer I've ever seen in one day in over 25 years of deer hunting. It wasn't a crazy amount but it was awesome. It took me nearly an hour of mental gymnastics to overcome the frustration of being that close to that many deer and not taking one home in the ice chest.

But, I took my wife to introduce her to hunting. It was a magical experience. She did the best she could. I have missed countless deer because of beginner mistakes and have learned from those experiences. There are more deer. There will be a season next year. And now - hopefully - I have another deer hunting fanatic in my family.

Still a tough story to tell, but I always smile at the end.
                      Last edited by Super Six-Four; 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Sup64, Hope-n ya have to go buy a new Lone Wolf Alpha!

I've currently got the Lone Wolf Wide Sit-n-Climb. Had two others by them. I just got wider and heavier.

Well, at this point I won't be getting a new stand. I hope to have one more shot next week to drop a deer before season ends though. It's been a blast becoming part of this group this season.

Kirby86 and CARLOCK (and Texas Grown), I looked up all the climbing stands, sticks and mods y'all recommended. The rope mod on the climbing sticks is awesome, I found one tree that was nearly too big for the straps once so I'll do that to my new stand once I get one.

Good luck to anyone else hunting late season!

Comment

With the front coming in Saturday afternoon/evening, I bet Friday evening and Saturday morning would be a good time to be hunting.

Comment

With the front coming in Saturday afternoon/evening, I bet Friday evening and Saturday morning would be a good time to be hunting.
                            That's the plan...

Comment

Hey Carlock thanks for the follow lol hope everyone Huntin Whitney is seein deer not sure I'll get back down there and if I do it'll be after a buck for the wall since I punched 2 tags last night out west

Comment

Last Saturday went out to put some corn out didn't jump anything but as soon i got back to the truck saw a doe around cross the road go to hunt Friday evening and Saturday mourning good luck to everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X