Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pope & Yum View Post
    I tend to agree he's a 2.5 at least but a shooter and trophy for public land.

Comment

My son never would wake up so no hunting today ,we will be at Lake A to try and find a lost deer at 11.

Comment

Last edited by Super Six-Four; 11-19-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
          Success!
          Way to get 'er done Storm! Also gotta say that smoker in your profile pic sure does turn out some good eats. Thanks for hostin Steve and I opening weekend at Whitney. For a new TBH member I felt like a long time part of the family...

By the way, never did see anything that night I ran into you and your son sitting the edge of that field. Beautiful spot though...

Comment

Get to my spot and someone is 20 yards from my blind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six-Four View Post
              Way to get 'er done Storm! Also gotta say that smoker in your profile pic sure does turn out some good eats. Thanks for hostin Steve and I opening weekend at Whitney. For a new TBH member I felt like a long time part of the family...

By the way, never did see anything that night I ran into you and your son sitting the edge of that field. Beautiful spot though...
              Glad to meet you guys. Plan on doing it again next year!

Comment

Deer were moving at Lake Aquila at 1020.
                And my son Nick had a buck sneak up behind him at 345 first deer he's ever seen while bowhunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                  So if somebody breaks the rules we're supposed to follow your ok with that. ? That's why there are feeders and permanent stands out there right now no one wants to call it in. Just call them ,let them know what you found and give them the corrdinates. These so called. Hunters are the ones who claim a spot and screw it up for all .
                  The biggest issue for me is the last part there - guys who try to claim hunting spots. It's public land (preaching to the choir here I'm sure). I have seen setups with large feeders that took ATV's to setup - even multiple 'permanent' stands around some of these large feeders. If you leave it (stand, feeder, camera) the risk is on you that it may not be there when you get back (and of course it's against the rules).

But the guys who try to claim an area as theirs - that's going way too far. I know of people trying to sell guided hunts on public land in some places in Texas. I also know of guys threatening other hunters because this is "their spot".

On Oct 1st this year I had a guy come in 40 yards from me around 3:30pm; I was sitting my stand all day. At 40 yards he stopped and I whistled - he acknowledged me then started setting up his climber in the tree next to him. He was 40 yds cause I had ranged that shooting lane earlier in the day. I finally spoke and said "Don't ya think 40 yards is a little close?" His reply - "But this is where I always hunt".

I know it's public land first and foremost. But common courtesy. For me it'd be 100 yds or more and probably out of sight depending on the setup.

What would be a common courtesy distance for some of y'all?

Comment

If you were taking about my comment earlier I didn't mean "my spot" I know it's public land and they have just as much right as I do to be there. But to me courtesy is if you see someone has been baiting an area and has a set up of some sort then common courtesy would be to find yourself another spot, i wasnt upset so to say as I was disappointed that my "area" I have been baiting for months was takin.

Comment

But I would get as far away from anyone as I could

Comment

Originally posted by Knightcat View Post
                        If you were taking about my comment earlier I didn't mean "my spot" I know it's public land and they have just as much right as I do to be there. But to me courtesy is if you see someone has been baiting an area and has a set up of some sort then common courtesy would be to find yourself another spot, i wasnt upset so to say as I was disappointed that my "area" I have been baiting for months was takin.

(chuckle) No not you at all. Mine have been personal experiences and the experiences of friends I've hunted with. It was one of Storm's old posts that hit a nerve. Figured it'd make a good discussion and curious to get some feedback to see what middle-of-the-road was for most folks.

Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six-Four View Post
                          What would be a common courtesy distance for some of y'all?
                          For all yall to stay home till I fill all my tags.

Seriously, that would depend on the person, the distance, the cover, the wind, and the situation. I've sat with people 60 yards away. And am comfortable with that if I know who it is, how they hunt, and what time they get down (if they get down), ect. There are a lot of variables that go into that question. And I've had situations like knightcat was talking about above.

Other times, I don't care if I see a deer. I just want to be left alone. And yet other times, I can hardly wait till deer season is over so everybody goes home. Then I can really start kill-n hogs.
                          Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-19-2016, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Well we helped BowhunterKPH with another attempt to find his deer but never found anything after last blood. If you guys need some help looking for a deer post up there may be someone that can come help, or have the pH number of the guys with tracking dogs for the area you hunt. There's no shame in loosing a deer (it happens) at least you know you tried to find it. Get back out there Khris you did your homework and found a great area and you'll get another chance this season .

Comment

Good on you Storm! Your a good feller. And proud to know ya.

I gots a feel-n lots of deer are gonna fall over the Thanks Give-n holidays.

Comment

Thanks Storm.

Comment

Working...
                                X