Bout to get western out here yall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Someone being rude?

Raining again here.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Someone being rude?

Raining again here.

I was referring to the rain LOL but now that you mention it I did have a guy this morning about 1030 come into the woods puttin bait out about 80 yards away from Me whistled at him once he stopped moved off bout 15 yards and started settin a stand up it looked like so I whistled again and he finally left..... Oh and dude wasn't wearin a single spot of orange on.... SMDH

Comment

It's amazing how folks simply can't follow the rules. They are probably the same guys that leave there stands up, leave trash and no telling what else. Most of these people wouldn't have a place to hunt if it wasn't for the public land yet they treat it like it's no value in regard to the rules. No respect.

I love this place lots of good guys out there. Met a few of them. Someday there may not be public land to venture on and enjoy. We are lucky we got what we got. It just seems people take certain things for granted and don't care. Good luck guys. Follow the rules.
          Last edited by bowhunter01; 11-06-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Official Lake Whintney and Aquilla 2016-2017 hunting thread

Originally posted by bowhunter01 View Post
            It's amazing how folks simply can't follow the rules. They are probably the same guys that leave there stands up, leave trash and no telling what else. Most of these people wouldn't have a place to hunt if it wasn't for the public land yet they treat it like it's no value in regard to the rules. No respect.

I love this place lots of good guys out there. Met a few of them. Someday there may not be public land to venture on and enjoy. We are lucky we got what we got. It just seems people take certain things for granted and don't care. Good luck guys. Follow the rules.

Think he has a 2 man lock on that's been up for a week now..... I leave my stand if and only if I am hunting the next hunt.... The afternoon after the mornin hunt or the next mornin which technically is against the rules but I don't think by hose particular situations are the specific reason for the rule....

Last edited by rednecktbrizz7; 11-07-2016, 12:10 AM.

Comment

So. I made a mistake this weekend. The wife and I were camping at Thousand Trails in Whitney this weekend. I decided to check out H8 Friday morning, since it was closest. I have never hunted Whitney COE land. I always hunt Aquilla.

Anyway, I was there by myself so I scouted it out for awhile before finally baiting a spot. I decided to come out and let it rest. While at my truck, I noticed there was an access point on the south side of 2604 as well. So, I assumed it was part of the same section, H8. Went in there, scouting around, and found some very good sign. While putting out some bait, I was busted by an awesome buck. I decided to setup on the ground, backed into a cedar bush. About 30 minutes later, 2 nice doe come in but turned away from me and went into some woods.

A few minutes later, a pack of 3 wild pit bulls come through. I'm guessing they were wild as none of them had collars. These were very large, healthy dogs. Needless to say, they got my attention. They never saw me but that was enough for me. Gave them a few minutes to get gone and then I got gone.

I decided I would give the COE a call to advise of the dogs. I don't want to see another hunter get hurt or possibly killed. Sorry for you pit bull lovers but I do not trust them one bit! Before I called, I was looking at the COE map to verify the section I was in. Then I noticed, that area on the south side of 2604 IS NOT part of H8. I told the COE that I had been in there but never took a shot at anything.

Moral of this drawn out story is, study the maps and know where you are and where you shouldn't be. I made an assumption and I was wrong. Also, be careful out there. There are many dangerous elements in the woods. I never thought about one of them being a pack of pit bulls.

Good luck out there.

Comment

Change In Patterns From Last Year

I am new to this forum and have not searched this topic, however I am curious, did anyone else notice a drastic change in the deer travel patterns during the flooding last year that has carried over to this year? Prior to the flooding last year we had a "honey hole" location we have hunted for several years and seen LOTS of deer. This year we have seen several average to small does, a couple of ok sized cull deer, and spikes. The only descent deer that was coming through was coming in at night and he is probably a 130-140 class 5x5 (only seen him on my game cam that I leave up over night when I hunt back to back days).

Prior to the floods last year, we rarely went a single hunt without seeing a deer within bow range, now we have been out several times without seeing anything. We put in lots of miles to get to this one specific location and do not see signs of others hunting nearby.

Comment

I know one area that used to have a rotwyller (sp) running around and living off stuff. Had a few other wild dogs running around too.

And another feller that got chased by wild dogs in the same area while on a hog hunt with me. His bow had fallen from the tree and broke his sight. So he went to the shoreline pick-up point 1/2 mile away and built a small fire to keep the skeeters off while waiting on me to pick him up at a later time. Then wondered away from the fire to find more wood. While looking for wood in the dark with no light, he heard something growling and turned to see two dogs in the dark about 7 yards away that were about waist high. So he took off running through the brush and weeds. He wound up falling into a creek, and loosing a set of $500 glasses when his head emerged from below the water. He had left his shirt at the pick up point and had shorts and rubber boots on. Try treading water with rubber boots on . Then while trying to make is way around the shoreline cause he got lost and disoriented after the dog deal, and crawling out of the water he walked up on a log. And on the other side of the log was a small mature boar hog that started around it and after him. He ran off down into the water almost chest deep. And every time he started out, the hog would run him back into the water. So he finally waded down the shoreline and away from the hog so he could get out of the water. After a bit more walking (few miles) he got to where he could call for help to some campers on the opposing shoreline. They told him to shut up across the river, he was making to much racket. My water pump had gone out on my boat motor that evening. So I had to use the troller to get back to the pick up point. When I found him, he was up in a tree with no shirt, shorts, and rubber boots on. I never seen someone so glad to get in my boat in all my life. And I never laughed so hard in my life when he told me what all happened and how. His dad, who was my boss at the time, couldn't help but call him and tease him a bit when I told him Monday morning. The poor feller is still a little sore at me for telling his dad to this day.

Yep, lots of "elements" to be careful with out there.

Comment

Water level always affects the deer and other critters there. It's something that ya have to figure out after hunting out there for several years. And seeing the changes over time. Course some are lost to drowning. And some move or swim to higher ground and don't come back. I've also found dead livestock floating as well. Then the backwash in some places makes accessing the shoreline difficult. Yep, there are changes with the water fluctuations.

Comment

Originally posted by lgc999 View Post
                      So. I made a mistake this weekend. The wife and I were camping at Thousand Trails in Whitney this weekend. I decided to check out H8 Friday morning, since it was closest. I have never hunted Whitney COE land. I always hunt Aquilla.

Anyway, I was there by myself so I scouted it out for awhile before finally baiting a spot. I decided to come out and let it rest. While at my truck, I noticed there was an access point on the south side of 2604 as well. So, I assumed it was part of the same section, H8. Went in there, scouting around, and found some very good sign. While putting out some bait, I was busted by an awesome buck. I decided to setup on the ground, backed into a cedar bush. About 30 minutes later, 2 nice doe come in but turned away from me and went into some woods.

A few minutes later, a pack of 3 wild pit bulls come through. I'm guessing they were wild as none of them had collars. These were very large, healthy dogs. Needless to say, they got my attention. They never saw me but that was enough for me. Gave them a few minutes to get gone and then I got gone.

I decided I would give the COE a call to advise of the dogs. I don't want to see another hunter get hurt or possibly killed. Sorry for you pit bull lovers but I do not trust them one bit! Before I called, I was looking at the COE map to verify the section I was in. Then I noticed, that area on the south side of 2604 IS NOT part of H8. I told the COE that I had been in there but never took a shot at anything.

Moral of this drawn out story is, study the maps and know where you are and where you shouldn't be. I made an assumption and I was wrong. Also, be careful out there. There are many dangerous elements in the woods. I never thought about one of them being a pack of pit bulls.

Good luck out there.

Couple years ago I had a pack of dogs chasin deer in a different unit

Comment

Look what I saw at Bucees on my way back home yesterday.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks kinda like a sika.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            Looks kinda like a sika.
                            Red stag.

Comment

Heard those stag r good eatin.

Comment

Not just stags, the does are great too. Had a buddy on here give me some steaks a few years ago. Extremely rich, extremely red, and tender meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X