No announcement yet.

Official Davy Crockett 2016-17 national forest hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just seen this on facebook, Y'all be careful out there guys and gals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, that'll make you think twice... I've never really been a fan of a harness, it just isn't practical for the way I hunt. Although every time i make it safely back down i feel like i cheated death one more time. I know i should wear one..
      Guess when you think about it, the inconvenience is far better than the alternative! Prayers up for Weston-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ..Ambush..; 12-06-2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I hate to read stuff like this... I spend so much time in a climber without a harness. Sometimes even 35 ft up. Like ambush said, they're inconvenient for me. But one day maybe I won't be so hard headed. Just hope I don't learn the hard way I guess.. prayers for friends and family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Horrible. Prayers up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get one and attach to your harness, its not that big of an inconvenience https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts....mbly__CRA.aspx
            Last edited by bossbowman; 12-06-2016, 03:04 PM.

Comment

When I first got my climber I wore one... Had one hell of a time climbing with my summit since i couldn't lean back very far when I need to pull the bottom section up. My mid section got in the way. lol. I started climbing without it and so much better but all it takes if one fall for that harness to pay for itself. Also I am not one of those guys that gets 30 feet up either. Most i go is about 20 feet tops

Comment

Originally posted by robert97dodge View Post
                When I first got my climber I wore one... Had one hell of a time climbing with my summit since i couldn't lean back very far when I need to pull the bottom section up. My mid section got in the way. lol. I started climbing without it and so much better but all it takes if one fall for that harness to pay for itself. Also I am not one of those guys that gets 30 feet up either. Most i go is about 20 feet tops
                Yep. I don't think there is a very efficient way to use a harness while you're climbing.. once you get up it's no big deal to latch yourself in, but so many times I see these guys on TV wearing them and it's all wrapped around their neck and hitting their elbow when they're trying to draw. Just looks like it really gets in the way and limits your mobility in the stand.
                I know the safe thing to do is to just wear the darn thing, but until they come out with a new innovation I guess I'll tackle it one tree at a time-

Comment

Try a rock climbing harness. They are more comfortable, lighter, and you can put jackets on or off while wearing one. Make a loop like that lone wolf one out of dynamic rope and you wont have to be fighting it all the way up the tree. At the very least, strap in when you get to the height you want.

Comment

I use a hunter safety system harness, which is lightweight and not uncomfortable at all. And I use the HSS climbing rope too, which is similar to the lone wolf shown. After getting used to climbing with it, it doesn't bother me at all. Takes a little longer to climb, but the extra minute or two is worth it to me over falling and getting seriously injured. If you aren't using one I would definitely recommend it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang prayers sent .
                      I am a firm believer in a safety harness . I won't climb with out one anymore. They really are not that bad once you get used to it I also have a HSS harness and their rope I bet I can climb about as fast as someone with out one. I hunted for many years with out one but when I became a father 9yrs ago I decided hunting is fun but I want to make sure I go home after each hunt. Now days if I get to my stand location and have forgotten a part I hunt from the ground.
                      The more you use it the more you'll become 1 with it.!

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                        Dang prayers sent .
                        I am a firm believer in a safety harness . I won't climb with out one anymore. They really are not that bad once you get used to it I also have a HSS harness and their rope I bet I can climb about as fast as someone with out one. I hunted for many years with out one but when I became a father 9yrs ago I decided hunting is fun but I want to make sure I go home after each hunt. Now days if I get to my stand location and have forgotten a part I hunt from the ground.
                        x2 on all counts. I am saying a prayer for the hunter for miraculous healing, and for his doctors and caregivers.

In a way, death is better than total paralysis (if you know Jesus, that is). Eating through a straw and having your wife, if married, or otherwise parent, etc. wipe your butt and bathe you for the rest of your life because you thought you're careful, young and capable and it wouldn't happen to you... simply does not compute. That's not living and is a terrible life sentence to give your loved one(s).

^^^i sound like Mr. Tons of fun I know, but it's in the name of being able to still have fun. Anyone not interested in wearing a harness should ask ultralite09 if they are worth the hassle, as of this past weekend at the H. Life's full of calculated risks, but this one has no reward, and a priceless tag.

Buckle up fellas, stick around as long as possible

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                          Dang prayers sent .
                          X2 well put HR.

Comment

Welp looks like I need to dust the harness off and get used to it. I know it's not worth the risk but I just try to not think about what could happen. Appreciate the ideas and good words. Thanks men!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Last night I got on YouTube and searched "falling out of treestand" ...Definitely does not look like a good time!
                              Thing is, I have 7 or 8 of those junky harnesses that come with any treestand you buy nowadays. They are clumsy and of poor quality, and thats probably why most people don't use em. Guess i need to check out a real harness system and spend the money on a quality rig. It all comes down to how much is your life worth-

Comment

Prayers sent for the young man and his family!

Trust me on this... When you watch one of your best friends lay in a hospital for 3 months, have numerous surgeries, and now is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life, its not that much of a hassle to wear a harness. HSS has great harnesses as do others. I would also highly recommend life-lines and a descend system of some kind.

Comment

Working...
                                X