No announcement yet.

Official Davy Crockett 2016-17 national forest hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to know someone who owns property or a lease ? Sorry I've only been in Texas 4 yrs. I have the permit and have hunted Alabama Creek . But it sounds like your saying the rest is ok ?

Comment

BW96, That's a nice buck Congrats! I've had to hual them out that far from the truck also. Good job!

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
        I usually don't care to post much success on here because of wondering eyes and there were more people this weekend than I've seen in a long time. That being said my deer won't attract people like Brads so I'll post it.

Saturday morning I climbed down about 11 because how quiet I knew I could get around with the slight rain. At 11:30 I found myself taking a hike as most hunters were already out of the woods. I knew an area than more than likely had received 0 pressure because it's a mile in. Well I walked super slow just kind of sneaking around and saw 3 deer. 2 I have no clue what they were as they were in the brush. As I walked I could smell the reaking scrapes knowing they had been worked that morning. So that put me on full alert as I slowly would take a few steps, stop and look for a while then a few more steps. After about an hour I was really getting to be where I wanted to be and was going to sit the rest of the day. Then smell was getting stronger and I ended up shooting this buck head down eating acorns at about 75 yards. [ATTACH]823534[/ATTACH]
        Once I got to him I realized there were scrapes and rubs all around him with fresh green in his antlers. Now the work starts for the mile hike back out over logs and everything else.[ATTACH]823535[/ATTACH]
        I feel like I cheated on my bow this archery season by not killing a deer. But it sure felt good to lay one down after the countless hours I've put in this year. [ATTACH]823536[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
        waydago BW96!!! That's a great buck! Really paid off for ya getting back in there a long way. Glad you found a spot away from the the crowds. Thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

BW96. Nice buck. Congrats!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Big One View Post
            You have to know someone who owns property or a lease ? Sorry I've only been in Texas 4 yrs. I have the permit and have hunted Alabama Creek . But it sounds like your saying the rest is ok ?
            I would suggest stopping by the ranger station in ratcliff and pick up a DCNF map. It is spread out and all free to hunt.

Comment

The dark green circled spot is alabama creek. All the other green spots are davy crockett national forest as well.

Comment

Thank you I did not know that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big One View Post
                  Thank you I did not know that.
                  No problem. There are some good deer in alabama creek for sure. This 8 point came from there a few years ago.

Comment

Yes sir I would say that is a nice buck .I have been hunting the SAM the past couple years . Thinking about DCNF next year .

Comment

BW96, that's one hell of a 3 yr old buck. Way to get it done on public land. Sounds like a great hunt and congrats!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats BW96!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                          BW96, that's one hell of a 3 yr old buck. Way to get it done on public land. Sounds like a great hunt and congrats!

That's what I figured him at but then I had a few people including the game warden tell me they think he was older than dirt and on the decline.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                            That's what I figured him at but then I had a few people including the game warden tell me they think he was older than dirt and on the decline.

I would be happy with that deer either way! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                              I would be happy with that deer either way! Great job!

Oh yea, of course...I definitely would be too! Great buck no matter what the age....heck of a 3 yr old buck. I'm not seeing an over the hill buck on this one though.

Last edited by Johnny; 11-08-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Not much activity this weekend. I had a spike come to the base of my tree and make a rub 10' from some estrous doe pee. Does anyone know how to post a video from your phone? I'm gonna try let me know if it works.
                                Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

Working...
                                X