Originally posted by That Guy View Post
    3A?
    I thought so. We'll see...

Comment

New 21 day availability is posted. Tom 6A-3

Comment

lot of areas/bucks/doe closing early in the season already

Comment

4A is the perfect example I was warning about. 6 gun hunters in that area and the 1 spike taken opening weekend shut down the area for bucks. Probably 5-6 ticked off hunters especially if the hunter who took the spike did not realize it came off the buck quota. Tom 6A-3.

Comment

Originally posted by born-two-hunt View Post
            4A is the perfect example I was warning about. 6 gun hunters in that area and the 1 spike taken opening weekend shut down the area for bucks. Probably 5-6 ticked off hunters especially if the hunter who took the spike did not realize it came off the buck quota. Tom 6A-3.
            I agree with you Tom. I don't mind passing on small legal bucks so someone else can take a really nice one. I'm certainly not going to shoot a spike!

Comment

Originally posted by born-two-hunt View Post
              I'd be frustrated for sure after spending the money and time to get everything set up. I don't understand why spikes are counted towards the quota to begin with.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is my first year and my son's first year hunting on Camp Bullis and my son drew a WTD premit. He took a doe last weekend in 2D. They also had another doe taken in that section and it closed it down for does. We passed multiple times on a few spikes this year just waiting on a trophy for him. I don't agree on the crazy qouta they have here but I do see the need for it so we can have a health deer population. I just don't understand why they have so many hunters in a location if they know that the quota is low. Don't fill a section with so many hunters and ask them to pay $180 then restrict the area for game that they knew was not able to with stand that many hunters.

Comment

Has anyone been seeing any hogs during the day/shooting hours? We have only had the majority of them coming in around 11PM to 2AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra768 View Post
                    This is my first year and my son's first year hunting on Camp Bullis and my son drew a WTD premit. He took a doe last weekend in 2D. They also had another doe taken in that section and it closed it down for does. We passed multiple times on a few spikes this year just waiting on a trophy for him. I don't agree on the crazy qouta they have here but I do see the need for it so we can have a health deer population. I just don't understand why they have so many hunters in a location if they know that the quota is low. Don't fill a section with so many hunters and ask them to pay $180 then restrict the area for game that they knew was not able to with stand that many hunters.
                    Perfect example of why Camp Bullis isn't for everyone.
                    The Camp Bullis hunting programs sole purpose is to allow an opportunity for as many people as possible who qualify, and in a SAFE manner to help manage a healthy game population on a limited resorce.(look at the development surrounding the post).
                    Many hours are spent by biologist and hunters to accomplish this, and this being your first year you should know that $180 won't even get you onto a marginal day lease anywhere.
                    I no longer hunt there, but I respect what has been happening there for many years and I'm glad to see that it's still going strong.
                    Last edited by Jimbo47; 11-11-2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                      Perfect example of why Camp Bullis isn't for everyone.
                      The Camp Bullis hunting programs sole purpose is to allow an opportunity for as many people as possible who qualify, and in a SAFE manner to help manage a healthy game population on a limited resorce.(look at the development surrounding the post).
                      Many hours are spent by biologist and hunters to accomplish this, and this being your first year you should know that $180 won't even get you onto a marginal day lease anywhere.
                      I no longer hunt there, but I respect what has been happening there for many years and I'm glad to see that it's still going strong.
                      This is a perfect example of knowing the resources and allowing for certain game to be harvested by each section and hunter. My son and I am grateful for the opportunity to hunt this property for so little money. Yes, everyone who qualifies to hunt this property, safely, has that opportunity when they go through a premit draw but you may miss understood me that when I said why they have us pay $180. What I meant was that they over sell a section and all of the hard work that a hunter goes through just for a section and can be closed because this section can't support that many hunters. Limited resources should mean limited hunters. I am not opposed of issuing certain game tags for a hunter in a section so they can manage that section properly. If you think about it...if a section has for example 4 hunters and one day they all bag a buck or a doe and that section's quota is 2 they just busted that section by 2 for that specific game. That then will hurt that population for that section and not allow for that specific deer herd to thrive. This property is an awesome property and I respect all of the staff's hard work in everything they do for us hunters!

Comment

Understood Sir!
                        Back when I hunted there has been just over a decade ago and before that when I hunted there between 1989 and 2005 those same areas which have the low quotos have historically been areas with low numbers of game, and that was back when there was not development along Blanco road which at that time both the border on the west and east before the Dominion was there, were all low fenced and a pretty poor fence at that.
                        The neighbors ranches had a lot of game which crossed the roadways and vise versa going both ways.
                        Now basically Bullis is a 27,000 acre pen that now needs even more management in order to keep the herd healthy and huntable. There were very few hogs back then so anyone hunting those low quota areas didn't have an opportunity of very much else besides deer.
                        Our quota system was more liberal than it is today and the reason is what I explained above.
                        What my main idea was in response to your post was that there are other opportunities for hunting even if the quota is filled on deer, and as far as some areas not having much game, that can only be fairly addressed by the luck of the draw, and it's to anyone's benefit to learn the lay of the land and get familiar by scouting and research as to what areas are better than others.
                        Most of the complaints I read sound all too familiar and one reason why I like to lurk here and remember all those hunts from years past.
                        Good luck guys and I feel your pain, so go out and get into the woods, and maybe let the powers that be know of your thoughts and ideas.

Comment

I'm planning to apply for the draw next year and am thinking I'll have better luck in the archery areas. Are those productive for WTD and/or exotics? I'd be happy with just hogs.

Comment

Saw a nice 8 point at the check out, came from 6a.

Comment

Tom shot that buck nice deer between 120-130 inches nice buck

Comment

5 1/2 year old with just over 16 inch inside spread. Good quality 8 point that came in about 8 AM following some does. Had 2 bucks, 5 does and a fawn under the feeder when I shot him at about 20 yards. He went about 60-70 yards with a heart shot. Now for that spotted doe. Tom 6A-3

Comment

Working...
                                X