2016 Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by .270 View Post
    I hunted compartment 5. Saw a ton of hogs in the sendero along the river. I was there for the "trophy" hunt. After they released us, I drove in and baited the sendero by the river for the night hunt. Had a few hours to burn, so I set up under a shade tree watching another sendero by an oil pump. Hit the rattling horns a few times and 15 mins into sitting in my chair out jumps a nice shooter buck and makes a bee line for me. I had him in the scope but didn't want to go home after only being there for less than an hour. Short time after that buck walks by, I see another bigger bodied buck with a floppy ear. Watched him for a bit, picked my gun up, didn't pull the trigger, cause I just got there. That night in the river sendero I baited I get covered up in hogs, see a few does, and a small 10 point that was inside his ears. Next morning I set up by the pump house, and had the big floppy eared buck in my scope with 2 mins until legal shooting light, then he disappears into the brush. Never saw him again. Later I would see several does, a few small bucks. Also saw a bunch of javelinas, and a few coyotes. Saw two javi's run off a young coyote. Pretty cool to watch that.

Compartments 1-5 were slow my week. Hunters in the compartments down near choke canyon (11-13) saw more deer. One guy had no less than 10 bucks every hunt in front of him. One buck was taken. While I was there.

Thanks! He's got trophy hunt too. In December, should be either in or just end of rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son drew the "Youth gun deer" hunt at Lake MClellan WMA. Anyone know about the area? It sounds, from the description, like we will be hunting from a blind. So I guess it's pretty straight forward.
      He will be stoked. Since we lost our lease this year I didn't know if we were going to get to do any deer hunting.

Comment

There are some big deer around McClellan. A big fire came through there and killed all the big trees. It used to have some big cottonwood trees. I'm not sure where the blinds are but the lake has a bunch of bike and motorcycle trails around it and you always see big deer and lots of deer. Should be a pretty good hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want to hunt try standby if they have any that is better than the draw for average!

Comment

0-3 on deer hunts. Maybe we will get drawn for a spring turkey hunt

Comment

Lots of Not Selected on my draw hunt status.....got a couple more in the hopper but running out of chances.

Comment

Anyone know ..... Can the parent represent an youth at a standby draw so that the youth does not have to miss school in the event that they are not drawn?

Comment

It is probably unit specific, but I don't think the chap allows it. Everyone must be present.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                    Anyone know ..... Can the parent represent an youth at a standby draw so that the youth does not have to miss school in the event that they are not drawn?
                    I don't think so...but like what was said earlier. doesn't hurt to call the area to see.

But most, if not all youth hunts are when the kids are out of school.

Comment

2016 Draw Hunts

Yup 8 years zero draws for me. I'm done with Texas. I can draw prime areas in Montana and Wyoming every 2-3 years. My home state I can't draw anything.

Comment

Seems like they already drew the gun mule deer and general refuge hunts this morning. Seems early in the day for all mine to be pending second draw.

Comment

We struck out on TP&W draws. We did get doe permits for SHNF. We did get permits for two NWR hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by LuBowhunter View Post
                            Yup 8 years zero draws for me. I'm done with Texas. I can draw prime areas in Montana and Wyoming every 2-3 years. My home state I can't draw anything.
                            Spot on. Can't even draw doe hunts with the current system

Comment

Originally posted by Shane924 View Post
                              Spot on. Can't even draw doe hunts with the current system
                              System is broke

Comment

Pending for National Refuge General Deer Balcones Canyonlands NWR

Comment

Working...
                                X