Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post
    Larry,

YGTBKM. If you buy me a beer I'll share some pork with you. PM me where you were hunting.
    You worked way harder for it than I did. You can have it. Besides, we had our hands full with a fairly fresh dead buck we found on the way out in the dark. Meat was still good, and it's my first B&C buck ever. Headed to the taxidermist now! Grapevine never fails to produce.

Comment

Got to love the wild west also known as the Vine.

Comment

Sounds like it was an exciting weekend out at the vine. I've never killed a hog, but I've been told the big ones like that don't taste very good. Is that true or no?

Comment

Originally posted by txfrog View Post
          Sounds like it was an exciting weekend out at the vine. I've never killed a hog, but I've been told the big ones like that don't taste very good. Is that true or no?
          Case by case basis, for lack of a better answer. Big sows are almost always fine. Big boars can be rank. Sometimes they're fine, though. My wife shot a big boar last weekend, and much to my surprise, he wasn't stinky and is eating great. Groups of hogs are usually sows and their young ones. Lone hogs are usually boars. So for a group, shoot the one that offers the best shot. For lone hogs, anything over 100 lbs or so runs the risk of being rank. Just my opinion.

Comment

They taste fine , especially the sows boars just smell but meat taste the same

Comment

Big boars I take and have sausage made outta Em no worries bout them bein rank then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info and helping educate a westerner on piggies!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                  Case by case basis, for lack of a better answer. Big sows are almost always fine. Big boars can be rank. Sometimes they're fine, though. My wife shot a big boar last weekend, and much to my surprise, he wasn't stinky and is eating great. Groups of hogs are usually sows and their young ones. Lone hogs are usually boars. So for a group, shoot the one that offers the best shot. For lone hogs, anything over 100 lbs or so runs the risk of being rank. Just my opinion.
                  That's because three times a year boars go into musk. If ya get lucky to shoot them when they are not in musk the meat is great. You found a giant dead buck? Pics or it didn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
                    You worked way harder for it than I did. You can have it. Besides, we had our hands full with a fairly fresh dead buck we found on the way out in the dark. Meat was still good, and it's my first B&C buck ever. Headed to the taxidermist now! Grapevine never fails to produce.
                    did he look like this buck? i found him after taking him and hiked back to get my cart then couldn't find him again
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
                      did he look like this buck? i found him after taking him and hiked back to get my cart then couldn't find him again
                      Where'd you find pine trees at the vine?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                        Where'd you find pine trees at the vine?
                        Hehe, Ill be headed back north to put my Vine Tag to use. I had to wrap up here in Houston first. I've made 5 trips north and seen 1 8 pointer is all. My Vine honey hole has had 2 many intruders this season, I did manage to discover a new hole my last outing though! I've got 80 plus hours on stand so far there and i will admit its been slow waiting for the right deer. All bvets off now this late in the season, somethings gotta fall in Denton County soon !!! Good Luck to all ,,,, even the Hog hunters

Comment

Originally posted by dukslayer69 View Post
                          In the 120s now for duck numbers on public [emoji1303]killed a band this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Nice!

Comment

Nice deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny quest View Post
                              Nice deer!

thank you,,, I like him

Comment

so you shot, killed, and found your buck...then left him to go get your cart and when you came back he was gone! wow

Comment

Working...
                                X