Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam.darling95 View Post
    Do whitetail bed real close to one another? I found an area that looked like about 10 or so beds around each other but may have been pigs. This public hunting thing is tough but will be so rewarding if/when I shoot a deer

Adam, for most of the year does live in matriarchal groups (grandma, mama doe and fawn/yearling) with a social hierarchy. They will travel and bed together. If you found a bunch of beds they are going to be doe beds. Bucks will bed, this time of year, alone. A buck will have multiple beds in different locations for different wind directions. Look for beds with heavy cover behind and an elevated view out front so they can smell what's coming from behind and see what's approaching from the front.

Others may have more to add.

Comment

I'd hate to be that car then! That would make for a bad day nailing that big boy.

Originally posted by Larry View Post
      Photo on Tuesday at 6:30 pm. No signs of being shot. No blood anywhere on body or ground. He just appeared dead Tuesday morning right on the road. Two different coworkers asked me if I had seen it. They didn't see it Monday, and there's no way they could have missed seeing it. So I'm guessing it was hit by someone Monday night or very early Tuesday morning exiting 35W or on southbound 35W and it ran up the hill to the exit ramp and expired in the roadway.

Comment

never got selected

Comment

Got out a little later than I wanted but I'm out here this morning.

After getting set up I look out in front of me to see a game camera straight ahead of me. So to whoever' camera it is a) I hope it's still here when you get back and b) if you see some idiot in a leafy 3D Asat suit, it was me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
            Got out a little later than I wanted but I'm out here this morning.

After getting set up I look out in front of me to see a game camera straight ahead of me. So to whoever' camera it is a) I hope it's still here when you get back and b) if you see some idiot in a leafy 3D Asat suit, it was me!

haha, be sure to put on a nice show for the owner! hopefully, you see some deer - keep us posted on how it goes. i plan to be out tomorrow morning if i get any sleep tonight!

Comment

Lake Grapevine 2016-2017

It was nice this morning but gosh it's hot now. I may try this evening.

To whomever is running cameras out there, I'm not going to tell you how to hunt. But I would assume (if you read this thread) that you either think people don't go in that far, are new to hunting public land or you think much higher of your fellow man than I do.

Neither of those cameras are locked up at all. They are within reach from the ground as well. And even worse, they are right off of major trails in high human traffic areas.

I found both of them without even trying. I left them how I found them too, but man, that's just like leaving $100 laying around on a barroom floor. If you're gonna run them, at least lock them up!

Comment

I carry a card reader to check the cameras i see any . It helped me pattern deer at lbj a couple of years ago. Always put it back in before I left. I wouldn't risk hanging one of my own though.

Comment

Does anyone know how the youth hunt works this year? Year 2 for my son, but first at the Vine. I figure I'd take him bird watching and let him bring his Xbow just in case a rare sighting of a deer takes place.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamTX75067 View Post
                    Does anyone know how the youth hunt works this year? Year 2 for my son, but first at the Vine. I figure I'd take him bird watching and let him bring his Xbow just in case a rare sighting of a deer takes place.
                    You have to have a youth permit. You have to pick them up at the office. Youth season runs from October 1-November 4. After November 4, all youth must have a permit secured from the deer lottery.

Comment

I thought game cameras were illegal at Lake Grapevine.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post

They are

Comment

Originally posted by RedTail Hunter View Post

They fall under the 24 hour rule.

It's pretty hard to pattern deer without cameras unless you hunt several times a week. And even then you're not going to know what level of rut activity there is because you can't hunt at night.

But yes, cameras are illegal. But so are screw in steps, leaving your stand out, leaving a ground blind up, homeless tent camping, etc. etc. etc.

No one would have seen me steal those cameras if I wanted to except God. That's enough reason for me to not take something that isn't mine. My advice is to leave things as you found them but you can do as you please.

Comment

Hope the deer are enjoying Byron Nelson's marching band as much as I am
                            Have to leave early this morning. Maybe gonna try again this afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by adam.darling95 View Post
                              Hope the deer are enjoying Byron Nelson's marching band as much as I am

Have to leave early this morning. Maybe gonna try again this afternoon

Hahaha same, no luck this morning. Last bow hunt of the year

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X